Hornsey Broadway

Wibble

Thanks for the comments and emails, it's always good to get feedback and help.

We can sometimes get lost in our world of creating scenes, as everyone perceives textures, colours and tones in a different way....... just like viewing paintings in a art gallery, and whether there's a connection or not.

With the layout project packed away now, it will give me the chance to work on rolling stock and road vehicles during the winter months. I only remember seeing some of the locos I model awaiting scrapping, and never saw them in service. The London area does give more scope for including additional classes, which is why it fascinates me enough to try and recreate it in model form.

• Like 1

Fantastic modelling, a real inspiration.

Thanks for the reply on the depot shed, apologies for not replying sooner, I thought I had!

You certainly did a cracking job on the loco shed and all the time and effort has paid off as it will be a nice addition to Hornsey Broadway. Love seeing photos of the shed a brilliant piece of modelling, I always expect to see a Deltic sitting inside!

Like Peter I too visit your website to see your updates.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well Sir, where do I start?

High praise indeed for your modelling ability and the creation of some superb scenes along with the weathered rolling stock including buses.

Hornsey / AP / Northern Heights is an area I spent a good deal of time in during my university days and just after. As such I took a considerable interest in the history, development and undoing of the railways of the area. As a fictional location we have to make some assumptions and yours seem to blend comfortably with reality.

The Finsbury Park - Highgate link was used until around 1968 for the transfer of LT 1938 tube stock to and from the Moorgate (Northern City) line which were maintained at Highgate depot. Due to platform length restrictions on this GNR-built route only 6-car trains could be used where the main fleet was 7-car trains. The "surface" level station at Highgate (actually in a deep cutting) was fully equipped with LT roundel signage and was all set to open as a tube station but never did. To this day it is possible to make out the positions of those roundel signs on the brickwork. Trains would have run straight ahead through Highgate Tunnel to East Finchley. Instead the "tube" route was extended from Archway and emerges from twin tube bores one either side of the old alignment which is still clear. The final train through the tunnels and across the "flat" link was I believe a special to mark closure but that is the way the empties always ran.

Trains to Ally Pally would have turned right and taken the old course through Highgate Woods to Muswell Hill and Ally Pally as you have on your map but as noted above the gradient required from the deep bore at Archway prevented a direct link being made. Passengers would have interchanged at Highgate where the escalator shafts still exist but have never been used for that purpose.

In your 1970 timeframe you would require 1938 stock for the Northern Line; at the time all the 1959 stock was on the Piccadilly Line (along with 7 trains of 1938 stock to make up the full service requirement). It was not cascaded to the Northern until replaced by the 1973 tube stock.

A minor point also concerns one of your DMS buses which shows "10" in the rear number blind. The 10 does now serve that area but back in 1970 was a Victoria - Wanstead - Woodford Bridge route with peak extensions to Abridge. It ran nowhere near the Northern Heights. The 10 which now runs to Archway replaced the northern half of the 14 around 20 years ago when cross-London routes were being butchered in the run-up to privatisation of LBL. The DMS types appeared from Holloway garage on the 221 and 271 from around 1971 but the 14 remained RML-worked as was the replacement 10 until a few years ago.

Wibble, I don't know why I haven't spotted this super layout before. I can't add any useful historical information but having lived around Crouch End and Finsbury Park for a few years, your layout has a familiar feel to it. It's now on my watch list and looking forward to seeing more.

• 11 months later...

Just came on for a quick browse and was surprised to see this thread on the first page of the layout topics!...... I thought it was well and truly stuck in the archives, so Baby Deltic has been busy with the duster :O

Thanks for the comments on the last few posts, and apologies that I missed them when they were written just over a year ago! Thanks also to Gwiwer for the bus route number info - something I will have to get around to changing one day soon.

Now that the Warley show is over, I hope to resume work on the layout again. In the meantime, here's a pic taken around the back of the depot..

hornsey_depot09.jpg

• Like 13

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi Wibble. Congratulations on getting published in MRJ again… shame they're nearly all black & white images. Hornsey Broadway is simply stunning, even better than the impressive Wybdenshaw (what happened to that?). Are you likely to post more HB images here?

Fantastic layout.

Is it me, or do the two corner buildings in the OP look like the buildings from " Lock, Stock"??? Maybe time for a cameo? ;)

Glad I'm not the only one that thought that!

Those buildings are identical to the ones in Lock Stock, I thought it a while ago and then had to watch the film to check my mind wasn't playing games!!

Cracking photos in the Journal though Kier, I am looking forward to seeing further work progress.

Bought Model Railway Journal 218 this afternoon after seeing that superb cover shot. Just finished reading the article. I've been following this layout on the EM site.

http://www.emgauge70s.co.uk/

What a wonderfully busy period layout crammed full of atmosphere, please bring it to Wigan next year !!.

It certainly reminds me of visits to the area in my youth. I had just started work back then and could afford a few "day returns" @ £4.50 from Wigan - London, Class 50's to Crewe then a fast 'lectric to London. We mostly went to "The Cross", with a trip on a Cravens up to Finsbury Park and a bunk round the shed. My mate worked for BR (luck sod went for 1/4 fare) and allways managed the shed visits. What was it about the Cross, 34G, Deltics etc ?, they had a mysterious hold over us - we rarely bothered with the Western or Southern regions, and 'owt seen at Euston could be seen at Crewe - so it was allways "The Cross" for us. Still it was nice to catch the 19-05 back home to Wigan and be in bed just before midnight

Another "rarely modelled" era, the few years after steam went in 68 to the introduction of TOPS numbering, Diesels with proper numbers, though without the "D"

Keep us posted with a few pix please.

Brit15

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

All the best for 2014, and thank you all for your comments.

Now that Long Row is just about finished, I have managed to get a snap of it with a couple of trains running in the foreground. It's been an enjoyable process building up what is to all intents and purposes a 3-dimensional backscene, which allows the upper level track to exit behind the buildings.

For anyone interested, there are always more regular updates on the EMgauge70s website.

Cheers, Kier

Its that D5905 on the Palace Gates - Whitemoor coal empties?

• RMweb Gold

Stunning!

I do so enjoy seeing urban layouts, with lines that 'go behind the Co-op and round the back of the cemetery', as an old driver friend of mine used to say.

Have bookmarked the website, looking forward to browsing more pics.

I haven't got my book to hand, but those empty hoppers look to have come from the Temple Mills direction, and haven't got a clue where they're going :) As soon as I find out, I'll let you know. There seems to be a lot of Western Region motive power coming past lately..... that's the beauty and variety of North London for you!

• Like 2

Not sure how I managed to miss this one, but thanks to gordon s for alerting me! Firmly on the follow list now.....

I'm a bit further across North London, but there is a good deal in common, and a huge amount for me to learn from your superb modelling.

Thanks,

Iain

Great layout and admirer of your work wibdenshaw is one of my all time favourite layouts . Got the mag with this layout in a while back and wanted to see more .

Great modelling .

Allways an inspiration .

Brian