Hornsey Broadway

Wibble

• 1 year later...

Having been inspired by many of the layout and work bench threads on this forum, I'm now past the planning stage of my own project to be able to post something, hopefully of interest to others.

hornsey_diagram01.jpg

This sketch is by no means to scale, but after many hours of deliberation and trying to fit a suitable track plan into the space available, construction has started. With an available space of 24 ft long by 3 ft wide, it has been possible to accommodate a fly-over and cut-under without exceeding the maximum gradient of 1:80. The date is 1970, blue is the new colour, and all the locomotives have proper numbers!

hornsey_tunnel01.jpg

A bit about the background history to Hornsey Broadway. It is based on The Northern Heights Railway which ran from Finsbury Park to Edgeware, and became part of the GNR suburban network. There were plans to extend the line nearly as far as Watford, but the scheme was abandoned just after the 2nd world war, partly due to the implementation of the London 'green belt' act. Some sections of the line were built but never used, and now some of the route is part of London Transport's Northern Line.

hornsey_building12.jpg

The layout is based on what could have been, had the line been completed. It would have seen a wide variety of inter-regional freight and passenger workings from the midland region to Stratford and the east end, as well as an intense suburban network. The final scenario is that the GN branch to High Barnet would have been worthy of a short extension northwards. This would have joined up with the main line at Potters bar, and allowed diverted traffic to ease the already congested double track line north of Finsbury Park.

hornsey_bus08.jpg

The format of the layout follows a previous configuration, using a 16 road storage yard which can accommodate up to 64 individual trains, and is served by 4 tracks with 180 degree curves at each end. All the 'off-scene' baseboards are already in use with 'Wibdenshaw', so again, only the 24 ft scenic section needs to be constructed. All baseboards are 4 ft X 3ft with alignment dowels, and constructed from 9mm interior grade plywood.

hornsey_deltic11.jpg

With Hornsey Broadway station situated at the west end of the layout, it will consist of 4 platforms with an adjacent tube station. Heading east away from the station, 2 tracks head towards Tottenham and Stratford, whilst the other 2 tracks disappear into tunnels en-route to Finsbury Park and Kings Cross. In addition to the splitting of the routes, there is a fly-over and cut-under to avoid conflicting movements, in typical with GN practice.

hornsey_scene05.jpg

So...... the scene is set, and during the next few years or so, I hope to portray a slice of north London as it might well have been. The buildings and tunnels mocked up in situ' showing the relationship between the loco shed headshunt, and the main line areas. A few vehicles have been added to liven the scene around the scrapyard, and some retaining walls require final weathering.

I'm returning to railway modelling for the first time since I was 10 (!) and I'm staggered by the quality shown here.  Wonderful!  And an inspiration of course.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

That covers the class 24 and 44, but what about the class 16 I saw in the depot? They were all withdrawn in 1968. :sungum:

Simple.  It was supposed to go to the scrapyard under its own power but it would not start and the shed staff gave up on it in disgust.

In other news, I for one am now looking forward to Railex 2018!

Chris

• Like 2

Hello Lloyd :nono:  I do appreciate you pointing out these anomalies...... and it all helps of course. Knocking up these big trainsets takes a big chunk of time, and I am happy to use existing stock from other layouts to make up the numbers. The period thing for me, can swing a couple of years one way or the other depending on the mood, and there's always an excuse for running something different from time to time. 

It floats my boat.......   and just goes to show how diverse our interests are when it comes to running stock that doesn't always fit the bill, and making do with what we've got.

• Like 1

There's some You Tube footage here showing the layout on 'away test' at Shipley in September 2015. Hopefully a bit more work will have been done before its next outing to Railex in 2018. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpmvXwl9R2E&feature=player_embedded Cheers, Kier

Kier - as brilliant as ever. When it comes to Model Rail Scotland at some time in the future, you know I am more than happy to help operate from time to time. Will PM you to see if you and any of your local team might be around at 'the great electric train show' at Gaydon in October. Max Fowler

Hello Lloyd :nono:  I do appreciate you pointing out these anomalies...... and it all helps of course. Knocking up these big trainsets takes a big chunk of time, and I am happy to use existing stock from other layouts to make up the numbers. The period thing for me, can swing a couple of years one way or the other depending on the mood, and there's always an excuse for running something different from time to time. 

It floats my boat.......   and just goes to show how diverse our interests are when it comes to running stock that doesn't always fit the bill, and making do with what we've got.

Sorry Kier, I was only joking with you. With your layouts the standard of modelling is so high, it speaks for itself regardless. I must have watched the video about half a dozen times and still couldn't t take in all the details. It's pretty obvious that moving from modelling Wibdenshaw to Hornsey it will take a while for the stock to adapt. Definitely a layout I could easily spend an hour or two glued to at a show.

When it comes to 'modeller's licence' and I'm the biggest hippocrite going. I run all manner of loco's where the link to the NLR is'tenuous' to say the least.:-P

• Like 1

Guest bri.s

Great modelling and a lovely layout ,nice video plenty of action ,hope to see it in the flesh one day

Brian

Oh goodee. I'll get my three car Scotrail 170 ready for an outing at Railex along with the 144. :thankyou:

Paul J.

• Like 1

.... and you've been making do for too long Paul. Where's the 12 car Cartic set you promised 5 years ago? I wonder if Lloyd would notice a Calder Valley set as being out of place :)

Just file those front windows out so it looks like a like a 104. You could say it's been transferred to SF. ;-)

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Layout pictures?  Where?

I could have sworn those last couple of posts were the real thing.  Please repost to the "How realistic" thread.