Hornsey Broadway

Wibble

• RMweb Premium

Hello Kier,

I've just stumbled on to 'Hornsey Broadway'--what a great layout and one I must see. Do you have any exhibitions planned in the London or southern area at the moment?

On ‎03‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 09:38, Kier Hardy said:

Thank you. There are no current plans to show the layout in London, but it is booked up for the next 4 years at other locations in England & Scotland.

http://www.emgauge70s.co.uk/exhibition_diary.html

The exhibiting is enjoyable, but hard work as we approach our pensionable years. Regular running sessions at home are even more enjoyable, as it usually only involves flicking a switch. Gone are the days of humping and shifting a 40ft monster around the country several times a year, so any future outings will be selective, and spread over a wider geographical area as possible.

So far, we've been to West Yorkshire and Buckinghamshire. The next 4 shows will be in Derbyshire, the SEC in Glasgow, the NEC Birmingham, and Wigan Lancashire. I'll give some serious thought as to where it may be going in 2022 and beyond, so please watch this space. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Kier Hardy said:

Is that the museum where old layouts go to when they're retired? You'd better start building that extension soon!

The first stage, ie, the inside of the house is underway, there is hope for phase 2 yet!!

In the meantime I shall have to sate myself in Sunny Swad, get the front row seat ready!

Mike.

Mike.

• Like 1

On 13/05/2019 at 09:37, Kier Hardy said:

A slight diversion from the normal Eastern Region goings on, last weekend's running session had these visitors from Greg's Shenston Road fleet.

The smooth controllability of these Kernow released early Warships is some of the best I've come across, and a pleasure to drive. Some small detailing work has been carried out by Greg to include drilling out the exhaust ports, and changing the headcodes to the right sized font.

shenston_602-01.jpg

The positioning of the windscreen wipers is an issue, as they're in the drivers view, so that will be the next thing on the list to do.

How easy is it to change the headcode?

B...nice photo

Greg did the work on them for his layout, but did mention they were easy to take apart. Apparently the glue is as weak as spit, so less chance of any damage taking the fronts off. The existing headcodes are printed onto the acrylic, but this is easily removed by rubbing the printed side on a piece of cloth with the aid of some toothpaste or cutting compound. He then just fitted some Heljan class 47 blinds which sit in nicely without having to glue them in place. 

• Informative/Useful 4

On 13/05/2019 at 20:51, Enterprisingwestern said:

In the meantime I shall have to sate myself in Sunny Swad, get the front row seat ready!

I'm under orders not to let you in unless in possession of a completed rake of Yeoman PGAs...

• Funny 1

• 9 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi everyone,

Tried to get a good look at this at ModelRail Scotland this afternoon.  There was quite a crowd at the layout, and what little I saw of the modelling explained why.  Not just a great model, but plenty of movement too.  It may well be the best layout at the show!  If you get the chance to see this layout then please do.

I have no connection with the builders or operators other than as a happy spectator.

Regards,

Alex.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I also had to wait a long time to get a proper view of the layout, such was its popularity.  I was well rewarded!  I was particularly impressed by the working banner signal - very well done.

Even if you can’t get close to the front of the layout the trains themselves are well worth watching as they come into and out of the yard.

Many thanks for coming to Glasgow,

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

I was particularly impressed by the working banner signal - very well done.

Kier, can you tell us more about this please (or point us to where you've already done so)? I have to make one for Porthmellyn Road and I'm always interested in how others have done theirs.

Thanks.

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Kier, can you tell us more about this please (or point us to where you've already done so)? I have to make one for Porthmellyn Road and I'm always interested in how others have done theirs.

Kier said it started life as a MSE kit and (I think) is now driven by a servo.

I have (long term) ambitions to copy too!

Paul.

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

Kier said it started life as a MSE kit and (I think) is now driven by a servo.

I have (long term) ambitions to copy too!

Paul.

Thanks Paul. As you know, my current thoughts are around converting the Bachmann model to a working unit but the MSE version is also a possibility - as is combining the neat moulding of the Bachmann with the works of the MSE. We shall see.

Saw this great layout at the SEC yesterday, and on my second visit today made a beeline for it ! One of those layouts where, even if nothing is moving (which was not very often anyway) there is still plenty to look at. Thanks for braving the wind, rain, hail etc and coming to Glasgow. 

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 22/02/2020 at 01:02, St Enodoc said:

Thanks.

Have a look at this John.

This is one Steve has made recently for Carlisle (I just have the rather awkward job of installing it on the existing c/l gantry on platform 3). If you need any more photos of it it's here until 1st April.

• Thanks 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

Have a look at this John.

This is one Steve has made recently for Carlisle (I just have the rather awkward job of installing it on the existing c/l gantry on platform 3). If you need any more photos of it it's here until 1st April.

Thanks Mike. I had seen that on Steve's thread but I'm always after more ideas. The current plan is to use the Bachmann model with a wire and crank behind the post, which will be well-concealed as it will be very close to the backscene. If I can't make a decent clear front screen I might just leave it off.

Super article with some great pics about Hornsey Broadway in the current issue of BRM.

One puzzling thing: there's a red circle on page 40 saying the story continues in the next issue of Traction magazine yet the text finishes in what seems like a natural conclusion (thanks and comment about being the final layout) a few pages later. Does it mean there will be more photos and text about HB in Traction?

• Agree 1

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, grahame said:

Does it mean there will be more photos and text about HB in Traction?

The article in Traction will focus on Hornsey Depot which is additional supplementary content with additional images etc.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Just read BRM and seen DVD,  what a fantastic layout. 

As someone who drives trains to bounds green it's a shame the railway doesn't still have the character portrayed by the layout 

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, russ p said:

Just read BRM and seen DVD,  what a fantastic layout. 

As someone who drives trains to bounds green it's a shame the railway doesn't still have the character portrayed by the layout 

How right you are about character. When I watched it at Railex a couple of years ago it took me back to my early '60s spotting days in North East London. Splendid layout. 

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On ‎22‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 01:02, St Enodoc said:

Thanks.

Thanks for all the nice comments, they're always appreciated....even a high profile 'model maker' from within these pages gave it a thumbs up at Glasgow at the weekend, so not bad for a pretend location with some history behind it!

The banner repeater signal on the Up Kings Cross main line started life as an MSE product, a spindle was fixed to the arm and rotates within the white metal housing. once fitted, the brass wire spindle is bent at 90 degrees and linked to another rod which is activated by the servo motor mounted behind the wall. In some ways it has been one of the easiest signals to produce, but would be a bit more difficult if gantry mounted. The colour light signal at the tunnel mouth is controlled by a rotary switch, so for the yellow and green aspects, another wafer of the switch is used to control the input to a Megapoints servo controller. Ill try and get a close up image of the signal later this week and post it here.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1