Railway & Modelling Obituaries

Geoff Rixon

dibber25

It was with great sadness that I learned, a few minutes ago, of the passing of Geoff Rixon earlier this morning. Geoff's railway photography has been a splendid resource for magazine and book illustrations for as long as I can remember. He was always willing to look out material on request and was a great person to deal with. He was apprenticed as a cabinet maker at Associated Commercial Cars Ltd (AC Cars) at Thames Ditton and did much of the woodwork inside the five diesel railbuses which the company built at its Taggs Island factory. During the time that I owned W79976, Geoff sent me copies of his photographs showing how the railbus bodies were extricated from the tiny factory. He will be best known and remembered for his colour photos of his beloved Southern Region - Bulleid 'Pacifics' in the SW London suburbs and out into Surrey. However, he had recently sent me a batch of his early B&W prints dating from just post-war and featuring some interesting and unusual subjects. Another one of the real 'greats' has gone from among us and will be sadly missed.

CHRIS LEIGH

Oh dear.  Another true gentleman gone.  Only yesterday I was looking at some of his photos of the last days of trolleybuses in London.  He will be remembered with affection by many.

Chris

Your post reminds me that Geoff will be sadly missed also by bus enthusiasts as he was deeply 'into' buses - particularly LT buses - and owned a Routemaster.

CHRIS LEIGH

• 4 months later...

Coming in very late on this.  I was just scanning down the names when saw Geoff Rixon.  I never knew him but I recognised his name immediately as one of the great railway photographers to whom we owe such a great deal of thanks for their work.  I second wholeheartedly Mike's comments, immediately above. 

Archived