Farish 57s - DCC

valeofyork

Would the cheap Hornby 8-pin decoder R8249 (http://www.Hornby.com/Hornby-dcc/decoders-chips/) be suitable for the Farish 57s with solder points on their circuit boards (the one in current Virgin livery (57301) , and the FGW green one)?

If so, is there a diagram anywhere on the web of which wire needs soldering to which tab? Presumably one wire isn't used as I think there are only seven tabs? Obviously the 8-pin plug would need cutting off, but how much wire is it advisable to leave?

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

I have the pin diagrams at home and

I may be able to photo a 57 With a decoder fitted.

The only problem that you may get with a Hornby decoder is with removing the body a number of times it may cause the wires to break off the decoder. Also you would need to wrap the decoder to avoid it touching the chassis or circuit board.

Ian

Hi valeofyork,

I've done 3 of these units so far, they are the same as the Farish 66s and here's a pic of one that's been done.

post-11575-0-37190500-1387476834_thumb.jpg

I think that chip may be a little large for the space available though, you have to squeeze the chip in between the light PCB and the motor PCB. I've used a digitrax DZ125 for all the ones I have done so far and even then I trim the insulation back to get an extra few mm. Don't be put off though, if the chip fits it's an easy installation.

Cheers, Mark.

Archived