South Pelaw Junction

johndon

Thanks Chris, two oil colours are stippled on with a small brush, the burnt umber being the darker colour for older rust and the burnt sienna a more orange colour for fresher rust,  By varying the amount of white spirit used as a thinner, you can control the shades of colour almost indefinitely.  As the oil paint has some bulk to it you can can get this rust 'bubbling' from under the paint work effect.

John

Thanks Chris, two oil colours are stippled on with a small brush, the burnt umber being the darker colour for older rust and the burnt sienna a more orange colour for fresher rust,  By varying the amount of white spirit used as a thinner, you can control the shades of colour almost indefinitely.  As the oil paint has some bulk to it you can can get this rust 'bubbling' from under the paint work effect.

John

Hi John,

Do you put the rust colours on first then the Grey? or do you put it on top of the Grey which with the thinners allows the grey to flake?

Regards

Chris

Hi Guys,

Excellent weathering on the hoppers, I'm currently building something based on the arches and Tyne Dock, working title 'Simonside'. I recently read an article on converting an O1 to a Tyne Docker, but cannot remember where can you help please?

Many thanks, I'm looking forward to more posts!

Eddie B.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Guys,

Excellent weathering on the hoppers, I'm currently building something based on the arches and Tyne Dock, working title 'Simonside'. I recently read an article on converting an O1 to a Tyne Docker, but cannot remember where can you help please?

Many thanks, I'm looking forward to more posts!

Eddie B.

My home town, indeed our railway club was in the old goods office next to the arches - I'd like to see your layout when it gets under way enough for photos!

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the comments gents.  My new year resolution is to try and get an hours modelling each day and, so far, it's going ok :)

Some 16 tonners have joined the fleet having had their weathering completed:

thumb_IMG_0652_1024_zpsui3zqttk.jpg

thumb_IMG_0651_1024_zpsd8jmwsh8.jpg

None of these are ever going to be award winners but, as I've said before, with the number of wagons that the South Pelaw layout will take and me being a one man band, I have to be pragmatic and compromise...

John
  • Like 9

• 1 year later...

It's been a long time since I've done any work on this but the visit to see the EM version a couple of weeks ago has spurred me on.  I've spent the last couple of nights building bodies for the iron ore wagons and I'm now up to the nine required for a full train:

IMG_0158.jpeg

Tonight, as a break from construction, I thought I'd have a go at weathering one of the painted iron ore wagons.  Below is a photo (copyright Howie Milburn) of the real thing:

iron-ore-hopper.jpg

and below is my attempt at the same thing in model form.  Weathering is done with 3 different colours of pastel chalk.

IMG_0160.jpeg

John
  • Like 3

It's been a long time since I've done any work on this but the visit to see the EM version a couple of weeks ago has spurred me on.  I've spent the last couple of nights building bodies for the iron ore wagons and I'm now up to the nine required for a full train:

IMG_0158.jpeg

Tonight, as a break from construction, I thought I'd have a go at weathering one of the painted iron ore wagons.  Below is a photo (copyright Howie Milburn) of the real thing:

iron-ore-hopper.jpg

and below is my attempt at the same thing in model form.  Weathering is done with 3 different colours of pastel chalk.

IMG_0160.jpeg

John

Looks even better than the one in Tim Shackleton's MJRJ article-could you tel us in detail which pastels were used, and any other techniques used to achieve such a finish, please?

• RMweb Premium

I didn't think Tim Shackleton's was that good, TBH.  It just didn't look quite right - this one is though!  Boldon Colliery station on a freezing winters day, waiting to see the last pair of 24's so I had the set of TD fitted ones.....memories!

Looks even better than the one in Tim Shackleton's MJRJ article-could you tel us in detail which pastels were used, and any other techniques used to achieve such a finish, please?

It is very kind of you to say so.

These are the pastels I use (bought years and I have no idea of the names of the two browns which could be an issue when I run out):

IMG_0161.jpeg

Rubbed on to the sandpaper and then applied to the model with a brush which allows them to be blended into each other easily.  They do rub off very easily though so will no doubt need a clear coat.

John