South Pelaw Junction

johndon

• 2 weeks later...
Started on the weathering of the bridge spans.  When I sprayed them, I deliberately did so at a low pressure so that the paint went on slightly dry giving it a bit of a texture.  The texture gives the subsequent wash something to 'grip' on to leaving the effect you see in the photos below.  The wash, as on the stonework, is Mig's Brown for Dark Green, spans were sprayed with Tamiya acrylic which cannot be damaged by the enamel wash.

IMG_1274.jpeg

IMG_1275.jpeg
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

Nearly finished, capping stones to be done and some cable supports on the front of the spans still to be done...

The grey 'road' surface in picture 1 won't be seen at all once finished as there will be a path with lots of vegetation either side once I'm done.

IMG_1278.jpeg

IMG_1279.jpeg

IMG_1280.jpeg

IMG_1281.jpeg

IMG_1283.jpeg
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 2 months later...

Capping stones for the piers have been completed as has the supporting framework on the centre and right spans for cabling that ran to the colour light signal that controlled access to the junction from the East Coat Mainline.  So after 8 months of on and off work, the bridge is almost complete...

IMG_1392.jpeg

IMG_1405.jpeg

IMG_1404.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 3 weeks later...

One of things that has held me back from making a start on the layout itself is the lack of space to build it at home.  This has now changed, and I'm incredibly fortunate to have found this space to build the layout:

New-Home.jpg

The space is 100' * 30' with another 60' * 20' at the far end.  Other layouts will be in the space as well but I've now got more room than I ever thought possible.

As space is no longer a problem, I figured I'd better get on with the Templot plan.  The more I've looked at photos, the more I realise that the plan I've had for some time has a number of issues.  So, first up is an attempt to get the 6 tracks at one end aligned correctly for the bridge.  I have tried this before but the other changes have affected this but, after a few attempts and a fair few sheets of paper, I've now got this:

IMG_1436.jpeg

which looks pretty good to me with just a possible slight adjustment under the right hand span when track laying commences.

Talking of track laying, first thing is to get the baseboards sorted.  My first thought was to go for laser cut but I've had prices from a couple of companies for the 18' * 3' scenic section which will be 3 boards of 6' * 3' and you are looking at almost £600  :o

John

Edited by johndon
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Try a local timber merchant.

I had enough 6mmm Birch Ply, and 18mm standard ply to make 3 off 4'x3' boards, and 3 off 4'x2' boards for about £130 a couple of years ago.

You will need to draw up a cutting plan, and it won't have the fancy tab & slot construction of laser cut, but it shoulkd be doable with a bit of work on your part.

Regards

Ian

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 28/03/2019 at 09:05, johndon said:

One of things that has held me back from making a start on the layout itself is the lack of space to build it at home.  This has now changed, and I'm incredibly fortunate to have found this space to build the layout:

New-Home.jpg

The space is 100' * 30' with another 60' * 20' at the far end.  Other layouts will be in the space as well but I've now got more room than I ever thought possible.

Wow! That is an absolutely incredible space! Good luck with the project moving forward.

I know the laser-cut baseboards are (very) expensive but it may be worth that that substantial outlay is worth it in the long run, particularly given the size,  scale and intended lifespan of the layout. It is obviously a lot of money but another way to look at it is that it is just the price of three or four RTR locos nowadays. Sometimes as modellers we are happy to spend on stock but more reluctant to put that investment into the foundation of our layouts, i.e. the baseboards. If I was to tackle a large project one day I would certainly look at the laser-cut baseboard option. The accuracy, neatness and uniformity could be of great benefit for a multi-board layout. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

8 hours ago, south_tyne said:

Wow! That is an absolutely incredible space! Good luck with the project moving forward.

I know the laser-cut baseboards are (very) expensive but it may be worth that that substantial outlay is worth it in the long run, particularly given the size,  scale and intended lifespan of the layout. It is obviously a lot of money but another way to look at it is that it is just the price of three or four RTR locos nowadays. Sometimes as modellers we are happy to spend on stock but more reluctant to put that investment into the foundation of our layouts, i.e. the baseboards. If I was to tackle a large project one day I would certainly look at the laser-cut baseboard option. The accuracy, neatness and uniformity could be of great benefit for a multi-board layout. 

You are right, given the eventual size of the layout could be 40' * 15', I want to be sure that, when I get round to the other side, everything fits...

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

After not even visiting the layout for 4 months, I've ordered enough components to complete phase 1 of the track work which will be the main Consett Up and Down lines as per the Templot screenshot below.  This consists of five turnouts, a diamond and a single slip.  The plan is to get this trackwork all laid, wired and working before moving on to the next phase and I'm hoping this will allow progress without getting stuck with one particular job.

Phase1.jpg

The very first train ran on the layout on Thursday night albeit on just 4' of track.  My 11 year old granddaughter did the honours - she has said for a long time now that she wanted to drive the first train, hopefully the first of many to come...

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On ‎06‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 13:32, Porcy Mane said:

It will be.

Cheers Porcy, once I've got the initial track up and running, you're welcome to come over and have a look.

John

Edited by johndon

• 2 weeks later...

Hi John,

I lived alongside the Consett-to-Sunderland line in the 1980s in three different places. As a young child, a friend and I were sitting on the embankment of the washington spur, (which as you will no doubt be aware rises to cross the east Coast mainline heading towards Washington) the day the tracks were lifted, i can remember standing on the bridge over the East Coast mainline which used to shake when trains went underneath it - it was later removed and a footbridge was put there in its place - i was later living alongside the line at the junction of the Leamside line at a place called Fatfield and then again about half way between the Ouston and Leamside junctions on a housing estate called Picktree Lodge which was built alongside the line. I spent alot of my youth playing on the ''mineral line'' and later in life i have spent a good bit of time researching the Leamside Line and Ouston Junction. Just as the East Coast gained electrification I found myself being moved down to the midlands to be close to the West Coast Mainline - and even more recently, right next to an active railway junction on the south side of Stafford. A perfect place for someone still in love with the railways - and also from a modelling perspective currently finding myself modelling a fictional electric maintenance yard, called Johnson Street IEMD, which is inspired by Crewe IEMD which is an electric maintance depot which has over the years maintained locos for the West Coast Mainline as well as the Class 92s used for cross-channel operations. I will however always be in love with Ouston Junction and will follow your layout with interest

Kat

Johnson Street IEMD

• Like 2