South Pelaw Junction

johndon

On 13/11/2019 at 17:19, RBAGE said:

Do you really think these would come down the ECML, at 25mph, with expresses up their jacksy every few minutes? Was there many opportunities for the train to be looped between Gateshead and Newton Hall Junction?

Can't upload it for copyright reasons but a photo surfaced last week of a 9F hauled iron ore train about to cross Durham viaduct dated December 1964 when the line was closed at Beamish...

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, johndon said:

Can't upload it for copyright reasons but a photo surfaced last week of a 9F hauled iron ore train about to cross Durham viaduct dated December 1964 when the line was closed at Beamish...

Yes, saw that, thank. So, it's proof that they went through Durham but still not sure which way they went when the got to Newton Hall Junction.

Love the baseboards. No room for manoeuvre if things drift a bit. Nothing short of perfect alignment is allowed.

Can't wait to see it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Superb baseboards, first time I've seen the track plan etched onto plywood. I suppose the next thing would be to etch away between the sleepers leaving them proud of the surface, thus saving you laying them. Is that even possible ?

Tom

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 01/11/2019 at 13:13, RBAGE said:

Now then. When I said earlier that I had photographs of ore trains at Relly Mill Junction, I was stretching it a bit. I have them on a PC that died some years ago. I've kept it on the off chance that I might bump into someone who can rescue the photographs etc. So, I have photographs but can't look at them.

I was given the photographs by a bloke who lived or lives in the very nice houses, opposite the Angel pub, in Durham. Can't remember the blokes name and his contact details are on the same PC. Has anyone got the faintest idea who I'm taking about? He may know. He may have photographs.

At the time I was most interested in the junction at the Deerness, Waterhouses and Bishop Auckland lines off the ECML at Stoneybridge so didn't ask about anything beyond that area.

Anyhow, this is a bit off topic so I'll say no more. 

Hi Bob. Just seen this. Any joy getting the photos out?

Mark

1 hour ago, tom shaw said:

Superb baseboards, first time I've seen the track plan etched onto plywood. I suppose the next thing would be to etch away between the sleepers leaving them proud of the surface, thus saving you laying them. Is that even possible ?

I guess, with thin enough plywood, the could be etched, with webs between the sleepers (like you get with flexi track), so that the sleepers can easily be cut out from the sheet.

Mine are done on 3mm plywood which will be securely glued to a 6mm MDF track base which is raised above the boards to allow for the track being at three different levels at one end.

John

• Informative/Useful 1

29 minutes ago, MarkC said:

Hi Bob. Just seen this. Any joy getting the photos out?

Mark

The PC has been dead for a few years and I haven't got a clue how get at them. So, I suppose that's where they'll stay until I get sick of looking at it. 

• RMweb Gold

Accessing your old files will depend on what went wrong with your old PC.  If the motherboard went up in smoke then the hard drive may well be OK.  If the hard drive simply developed a fault on the sectors where the system files are stored then the rest of the data may still be OK.  If the hard drive crashed completely then that's a bigger problem.

You can buy hard drive enclosures (an example) which are simple boxes with the necessary connector/socket inside.  You take the hard drive out of your old PC and put it into the enclosure then plug the supplied USB cable into your new PC.  As long as they are not corrupt, you should then be able to look at the files.

If you are not comfortable doing any of this then a local PC repair company ought to be able to do it for you and shouldn't charge too much.

I have a couple of hard drives from old laptops which were uneconomical to repair that are now in enclosures and used for backups.

• Agree 4

9 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

Bob,

I've got  the gear and software to access old hard drives.  ( Apart from SATA interface)

Next time I see you?

Good man.

I've had offers of help and had prices up to £100 but a couple of photographs hardly seem worth the effort. Don't know what else is on there.

Good photographs mind you.

Don't forget, this PC fell over as a result of a virus.

5 minutes ago, RBAGE said:

Don't forget, this PC fell over as a result of a virus.

That's no problem.  The data isn't recovered via a PC. What it doesn't do is fix mechanical problems to the disk. I was given it. It's years old and has been lent out more times than I've used it.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎08‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 21:21, blueeighties said:

What made you use wire in tube John?

Sorry for the delay Lee, only just seen your post.

I'm going to using surface mounted servos (experience on another layout has revealed that they are a pain in proverbial to adjust when mounted underneath) that will be at the edge of the boards so wire in tube seemed the best way...

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

Centre of the 3 current scenic boards now has all sleepers laid and work is well under way with the other two.  Plan is to get all the sleepers laid before starting on the track itself at which point I'll be concentrating on getting the up and down main lines (the two lines on the left in the photo) laid and then work from there...

IMG_1846.jpeg

Edited by johndon
  • Like 9

• 3 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, barrowroad said:

I assume you intend lifting the bridge to compensate for the increase in the track base?

Robin

The bridge is the correct height as it is, the track was at 3 different levels and the 3 spans of the bridge were also at different heights.