South Pelaw Junction

johndon

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, RBAGE said:

Thanks John and yes, I'll be there. And I'm going to try to convince my wife we need to visit her mother, in May, so that I can see things at the EM Gauge Society Show.

See you soon.

Bob

Hmmm, mother in laws and model railways, you're on dangerous ground there Bob!

Mike.

• Agree 1

• 5 months later...

It has been quite some time since any meaningful progress has been made on the layout but the purchase this week of some more DCC Concepts levers has seen the lever frame grow and now has 35 out of it's eventual 85 levers (although at least 20 of those were out of use for the time period I'm modelling), the photo shows only a third of the eventual frame...

spacer.png

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold

Seems a shame to have to spend on levers that do nothing!  But I suppose the big railway had done that and if you want to replicate the frame accurately that’s what you have to do.

Me, being tight, might have assumed a Relock and frame shortening!!

Will look really good when it’s finished mind.
Paul.

• Like 1

To begin with, I’ll be ignoring the spare levers, the two in the photo are simply levers that are still in primer until I make use of them elsewhere in the frame. 

I’d really like to include the spares as well but, as you say, cost is definitely a factor… 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 03/12/2022 at 06:29, Enterprisingwestern said:

Far too bloody clever some folk!

Let's not get too carried away!  As a software developer by trade, I'm much more comfortable with the electronic rather than mechanical side of things.  Programming the Arduino to handle the colour lights is far more enjoyable, to me, than soldering tie bars for example...

Edited by johndon
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Now that the up and down main lines are fully wired and all the turnouts on them are operational, I've been doing some testing as I want to be sure that everything works properly before I commit to ballasting. I'm still limited somewhat by the lack of fiddle yards at each end but here is a short sample of some trains running...

• Like 9

• 1 month later...

Slow progress as usual but a delivery of frog juicers has seen the crossover on the branch line as well as the turnout and catch point for the banker's siding fully operational so I'm now able to replicate the return of the banker from Consett to South Pelaw:

Edited by johndon
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

• 9 months later...

After a LONG time with no progress on the layout, mojo is slowly returning and, in the last couple of weeks I've got all but two turnouts and one single slip wired and connected the their servos.  This has allowed some more track testing so here is a short video with some BR blue action on the layout:

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...

A landmark day in the development of the layout yesterday as the last of the turnouts was connected to it's operating mechanism meaning that all the track work is now electrically and mechanically complete so all of the routes are now available for running.  As all the track is hand built there will be lots of testing before I go anywhere near it with ballast but here's a clip of testing underway.

A couple of bangs across crossing Vs to sort out but nothing fell off which is encouraging especially as none of the wagons is sprung or compensated and the buffers are fixed.

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1