South Pelaw Junction

johndon

1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

It's not wearing a mask!

Mike.

I'm sorry, I know it's off topic and mildly political, but as soon as I read this I immediately thought of Donald Trump when he said that wearing a mask for COVID-19 made him look like the Lone Ranger. Not realising that the Lone Ranger wore his mask over his eyes.

So, where are you not wearing a mask?

"Hi Ho Silver, away".

On the Pelaw front, impressive wingspan.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

One last track test last Thursday before the new North East lockdown.  CoCo diesels are a much better test of track than BoBos (which pretty much stick to the track no matter how bad it is is) so, last night, I was testing the single slip on the up main which also forms a crossover to the down main.  Used a Class 60 which, if it can make it across, anything else will.  Also a good test of the newly fitted frog juicers.

And that's it for work on the layout till lockdown eases so it'll just be stuff on the workbench for a while...

• Like 9

10 hours ago, johndon said:

One last track test last Thursday before the new North East lockdown.  CoCo diesels are a much better test of track than BoBos (which pretty much stick to the track no matter how bad it is is) so, last night, I was testing the single slip on the up main which also forms a crossover to the down main.  Used a Class 60 which, if it can make it across, anything else will.  Also a good test of the newly fitted frog juicers.

And that's it for work on the layout till lockdown eases so it'll just be stuff on the workbench for a while...

Did you say you had never done track work before this layout?

Superb.

Bob

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, RBAGE said:

Did you say you had never done track work before this layout?

Superb.

Bob

Prior to this, I'd only used flexi track and a couple of C&L turnout kits, this is my first go at building my own from scratch with individual chairs and no pre-made components.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

4 hours ago, signalnorth said:

Great weathering work! You might care to check out the methods of a YouTube called night shift who does military modelling especially the video of him rusting up the exhausts on a.m Tiger  Tank ( as you do)

Thanks, lots more to be done on the track weathering.  I'm a military modeller as well so quite well practiced in the rusting :)

SDC12772.jpg

DSCF0008.jpg

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

With the layout inaccessible due to the new lockdown in the North East I've started on some rolling stock.  All the trains on the layout will be based on photos taken at the junction and this is one of the trains I'm modelling:

South-Pelaw-26-4-82-37062.jpg.6201cf48fb12ee89657a9d907e2b1b35.jpg

I'm using Bachmann 16T wagons for this and have just completed (apart from the loads) the latest 6 bringing the total finished to 10 with another 4 to go.  I am aware that the MINFIT on the right in the last photo is wrong as it should be the 8 brake shoe variant but never mind, I can always weather over the TOPS panel :)

IMG_2305.jpeg.54d13a7576f3883084b1190976f42b9d.jpeg

IMG_2306.jpeg.a80dad8236503727f22cdb782b399680.jpeg

IMG_2307.jpeg.c6718849b73d4479ea1ed4ff6e9373ae.jpeg

John

Edited by johndon
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

28 minutes ago, johndon said:

With the layout inaccessible due to the new lockdown in the North East I've started on some rolling stock.  All the trains on the layout will be based on photos taken at the junction and this is one of the trains I'm modelling:

South-Pelaw-26-4-82-37062.jpg.6201cf48fb12ee89657a9d907e2b1b35.jpg

I'm using Bachmann 16T wagons for this and have just completed (apart from the loads) the latest 6 bringing the total finished to 10 with another 4 to go.

IMG_2305.jpeg.54d13a7576f3883084b1190976f42b9d.jpeg

IMG_2306.jpeg.a80dad8236503727f22cdb782b399680.jpeg

IMG_2307.jpeg.c6718849b73d4479ea1ed4ff6e9373ae.jpeg

John

Lovely job John, Are they kit built wagons?

What method did you use for the scabby rust? I looks really convincing.

If these latest restrictions go on for the expected six months, you should have all your stock finished.

So, to keep you and the rest of entertained, how about a few tutorials of work like this.

I've just finished a rake of 21 ton hoppers. 16 tonners will be next so any guidance would be just at the right time.

Thanks,

Bob

11 minutes ago, RBAGE said:

Lovely job John, Are they kit built wagons?

What method did you use for the scabby rust? I looks really convincing.

If these latest restrictions go on for the expected six months, you should have all your stock finished.

So, to keep you and the rest of entertained, how about a few tutorials of work like this.

I've just finished a rake of 21 ton hoppers. 16 tonners will be next so any guidance would be just at the right time.

Thanks,

Bob

Thanks Bob.  They are standard Bachmann wagons with new wheels and couplings.

Rusting is done as follows:

Start with oil paints, Windsor & Newton Burnt Umber and Burnt Sienna.  The burnt umber is used the most and this is applied randomly, dabbed on with a brush.  I then go over this by dabbing with a small piece of sponge and you end up with this effect.  As the oil is used pretty much neat, it has 'bulk' which even after the sponge has been used leaves the scabby texture.

IMG_2287-1024x768.jpg.ec374c79fece6d92b06bf486a935c654.jpg

Once that has dried a wash of black oil paint is added using just vertical streaks.

Once the black has dried, the wagons are then given a coat of matt varnish.

The rest of the weathering on both the wagon body and underframe is done with pastel chalk and pigments.  I generally then just leave the wagons as they are and don't add another coat of varnish as this dulls the effects of the pigments, it just means that the wagons have to handled carefully...

The only real problem with this method is the time it takes, not to do the actual weathering but waiting for the oil paint to dry which can take 4-5 days for it to properly dry out.

John

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

21 minutes ago, ianblenk said:

Excellent wagons, sorry but, I have to ask, is that HMS Hood in the background?

Ian B

Yes, it is, one of my other modelling interests is warships and the Hood is one of three 1/200 scale ships I have to build, the other two being the USS Iowa and the USS Hornet.  They are all around 4' long with, allowing for additional PE detailing sets, over 5,000 parts each.

The Iowa is under construction but really needs a case made for it as I don't want to start the details for it to get covered in dust...

IMG_2308.jpeg.64c31bd929dff1d3500367c9267de3d2.jpeg

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, johndon said:

Yes, it is, one of my other modelling interests is warships and the Hood is one of three 1/200 scale ships I have to build, the other two being the USS Iowa and the USS Hornet.  They are all around 4' long with, allowing for additional PE detailing sets, over 5,000 parts each.

The Iowa is under construction but really needs a case made for it as I don't want to start the details for it to get covered in dust...

IMG_2308.jpeg.64c31bd929dff1d3500367c9267de3d2.jpeg

Excellent!

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, johndon said:

I am aware that the MINFIT on the right in the last photo is wrong as it should be the 8 brake shoe variant but never mind, I can always weather over the TOPS panel

Wagons, especially mineral wagons, weren't re-branded overnight, so it's not beyond the realms of possibility that one so lettered could have lasted.

Mike.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Easing of lockdown has allowed access to the layout again (we are in Tier 3 in the North East but, as far as the council are concerned, we are a 'leisure' venue so are allowed access under the same rules as gyms) so I was able to go up last night.

The new Accurascale PTAs look good on the layout, Class 60 just used for testing, two Accurascale 37s will be taking it's place once they are released. Also, whilst the colours are correct for the Consett wagons, the rest of the livery details are not so some changes are required.

IMG_2419.jpg.25437f22dad12ea4c1aaabe2d76ad4c1.jpg

IMG_2421.jpg.239541cb6798dcdbd91fb1e202a5ab45.jpg

Didn't have too long there but I did manage to start putting some servos and MERG servo mounts together and got the first one working with a MERG servo 4 board and DCC Concepts Cobalt lever.

IMG_2422.jpg.24d99097e132f84ee85072ff854d87fa.jpg

So, not much, but at least it is progress in the right direction...

John

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, johndon said:

Easing of lockdown has allowed access to the layout again (we are in Tier 3 in the North East but, as far as the council are concerned, we are a 'leisure' venue so are allowed access under the same rules as gyms) so I was able to go up last night.

The new Accurascale PTAs look good on the layout, Class 60 just used for testing, two Accurascale 37s will be taking it's place once they are released. Also, whilst the colours are correct for the Consett wagons, the rest of the livery details are not so some changes are required.

IMG_2419.jpg.25437f22dad12ea4c1aaabe2d76ad4c1.jpg

IMG_2421.jpg.239541cb6798dcdbd91fb1e202a5ab45.jpg

Didn't have too long there but I did manage to start putting some servos and MERG servo mounts together and got the first one working with a MERG servo 4 board and DCC Concepts Cobalt lever.

IMG_2422.jpg.24d99097e132f84ee85072ff854d87fa.jpg

So, not much, but at least it is progress in the right direction...

John

And after your pseudo gym session, are you feeling any fitter? 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Access to the layout is impossible in lock down so I've finally pulled my finger out and made a start on the signals starting with signal 9, a short (it had to be visible under a bridge) tubular post upper quadrant made with MSE components.  Started last night and, this evening, the initial painting (still some touch up to do) has been done and it is almost done...

IMG_2538.jpeg.a6e08e653659de73dbb74f98d4b01c90.jpeg

• Like 15

It's ALIVE...

Got the servo mounted and connected up.  Apologies for the wobbly camera but I was holding it in one hand and operating the servo control with the other.

Feeling really pleased with this...

Edited by johndon
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 3 weeks later...

I've been working on the next signal, which has a base of angle and strip supporting a tubular pole.  The pole supports a home semaphore signal with a colour light distant head half way up which replaced an earlier semaphore distant.

The base is scratch built from brass angle and strip and the upper half, ladders and platforms from MSE etches.  A fair bit to do and a lot of clean up needed but I'm getting there...

IMG_2569.jpg.0653d25f1828a903a0ceb2cb2dd398ba.jpg

Edited by johndon
  • Like 12

Jon, can I make a suggestion.

On your signal ladders, run a piece of 0.3/0.4mm rod front and back of each of the two side rails and then file the outside face flat so that the two piece of rod and the etch sandwiched between appear as one piece.

In addition to looking a lot more prototypical, it stops the tendency for a flat etch to pick up waves and curves that look terrible!

It doesn't take long.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1