South Pelaw Junction

johndon

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Some progress on the layout, if only in a digital form for now...

The last time I visited the guys building South Pelaw in EM, I was able to take a photo of one of their drawings for the footbridge at the Washington end of the junction and, from that, I've started to do my own CAD drawing.  I've never used a CAD program before but I downloaded LibreCAD tonight and made a start.  There is still some tweaking to be done but it is getting there...

First, the real thing:

bridge2.jpg

And my first draft CAD drawing:

Washington-Bridge.jpg

John
  • Like 3

• 11 months later...

I have, finally, made a start on the bridge that I did the CAD drawing for last year and have got the basic stonework on one pier completed all with individually cut stones.  The thin end of the pier is as close to the real thing as I've been able to get but the long side is just made up.

DSC01855.jpg

DSC01856.jpg

Next up is a coat of primer to get a better idea of which joints need fettling.

• Like 2

Hello John,

Ive thoroughly enjoyed reading your thread, and in particular like your weathering on the HTO's/HTV's etc.

Have you tried using hairspray to seal your powders? 

I use hairspray on my wagons and it has the benefits of being cost effective and quick drying.

Nice work on the bridge too. I wish I could use CAD, but I still do all my drawings by hand!

Trev :)

• Like 1

Core of another pier built and a start made on one of the spans.  The right hand pier is just in primer for now, lots more work needed to texture the stones before the actual colours go on.

IMG_0817.jpg

IMG_0816.jpg

The perfectionist in me is starting to question the size of the joints between the stones and I'm wondering if I should be taking less off the edges of each stone...

• Like 1

Lots of progress tonight and the pier is getting close to completion.  The capping stone has been added and the stones have been painted and weathered.  Paint is Vallejo Acrylics with a wash of Mig Brown for Dark Green.  After each application of the wash, individual stones have been picked out in the original colour then washed over again to provide some variety.

IMG_0822.jpg

IMG_0823.jpg

IMG_0828.jpg
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Its beginning to look a lot like a bridge...

I've completed the main girder structures (details still to add) and positions on the piers still need some slight adjustment.  

Unfortunately, everything I've posted already had to be scrapped when I realised that I'd made the bridge 6mm too narrow and, on such a narrow bridge, I decided I couldn't live with the difference.

IMG_0843.jpg

IMG_0844.jpg

IMG_0845.jpg
Edited by johndon
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
After a very pleasurable weekend operating the EM gauge version of South Pelaw Junction (http://southpelawem.blogspot.com) at RailexNE, it gave me a lot of food for thought about my version.  My original plan was to keep the track plan as it was in around 1965 even though that would be inappropriate for the vast majority of the timescale that the layout is set in.  I really don't want my layout to be a copy of the EM version so I've decided on a pretty fundamental change and to model the track layout as it was in 1971 which means that the Pelton end of the junction goes from this:

Pre-1971.jpg

to this:

1971.jpg

resulting in a lot less point work to build as it has lost a single slip, a three way turnout and a four other turnouts.  It also means that, at this end, there will be only two tracks in to the fiddle yard massively simplifying things.  You also get to see the 'ghost' of the old point work which, visually, will be interesting.  The signalling also becomes a lot simpler...

This is how it looked in real life:

700930_5103l.jpg

• Like 12

• 2 months later...

Modelling, of a sort tonight...

Whilst I've had a Templot plan of the junction for some time, it was based on a 1:2500 scale map and, as such, it was never likely to be a perfect match to the location, allowing for the scale of the map and it being blown up in to Templot to draw over the top of. 

One thing I do know, however, is that the bridge I've been building is accurate as it is based on measurements taken from the real thing so I figured it was about time to see how accurate the Templot drawing I have is and this is the result:

Bridage-and-Templot.jpg

Close but not close enough so the layout is going to need some tweaking...
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Basic stonework on the last two piers is now complete.  Just the wing wall to build for the right hand pier (the diagonal strip on the front of the right hand pier is to support the wing wall) then it'll be on to texturing each stone with the dremel then painting...

DSC01868.jpg

DSC01869.jpg

John