Jump to content

johndon

South Pelaw Junction

Recommended Posts

 

Hi, sorry, having seen this layout and that bridge with the three sets of twin tracks under it, has left me wondering about the direction of those tracks having seen them in the flesh but never really fully understanding the configuration ... so looking at the bridge from Chester-le-Street/Birtley side... if the two right hand lines went down to the East Coast Mainline, and the middle two went up and over to Washington way, where did the third set of lines go to? (i did wonder if they had somehow joined the ECML going South somewhere before the C-L-S viaduct but had never seen anything to support this, please can you advise, thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The left hand two went to Washington and the two centre tracks were sidings that ended just beyond the bridge. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking towards Washington, with the train coming from Ouston Junction the middle two sidings end right at the very side of this photo. Lines to washington on the right. 
 

24andclaytons-@southpelaw1.jpg

  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can anyone help with the route of the ore trains when the line was closed following the Beamish accident?

I have photographs of ore trains at Relly Mill Junction and know that trains used the line through Lanchester but how did trains get to Relly Mill Junction?

Did trains travel the full length of the main line from Gateshead to the junction or did they travel the normal Monday to Saturday route as far as Washington then via Fencehouses, Leamside and the line to Newton Hall Junction?

I'm modelling Newton Hall Junction so it is appropriate to run ore trains, but from which direction?

Thanks,

Bob  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know but Porcy might...

 

As an aside, Dave Dunn has some superb colour photos of the aftermath of the Beamish accident.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've asked the question of the guys in the South Pelaw EM group - I'll let you know if anyone knows the answer...

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@RBAGE No answers yet although, ironically, a couple of the lads suggested that you might know the answer :)

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, johndon said:

@RBAGE No answers yet although, ironically, a couple of the lads suggested that you might know the answer :)

 

 

One day, I hope so.

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now then. When I said earlier that I had photographs of ore trains at Relly Mill Junction, I was stretching it a bit. I have them on a PC that died some years ago. I've kept it on the off chance that I might bump into someone who can rescue the photographs etc. So, I have photographs but can't look at them.

 

I was given the photographs by a bloke who lived or lives in the very nice houses, opposite the Angel pub, in Durham. Can't remember the blokes name and his contact details are on the same PC. Has anyone got the faintest idea who I'm taking about? He may know. He may have photographs.

At the time I was most interested in the junction at the Deerness, Waterhouses and Bishop Auckland lines off the ECML at Stoneybridge so didn't ask about anything beyond that area.

 

Anyhow, this is a bit off topic so I'll say no more. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reet. Sorry for not getting on to earlier but the change in weather makes me considerably more sluggish than normal. Blokes I know (Harrison/Williams) that live/lived where you're on about  (Apart form the landlords/stewards) didn't have pics of IO's.

 

I don't know the definitive answer but assume the I/O's travelled mainline, Gateshead, Barley Mow & Newton Hall (See below). Years ago I saw a phot of and I/O hopper on Frankland crossing but it was reputedly late 1950's so may well have been part of a set on it's regular wheel turning visit to Shildon.

 

I took the opportunity to ask a few of the more learned at yesterdays show.

 

Mr. Tyreman. Probably the most knowledgeable gent on NE 1960's railway ops.  He didn't know the route taken but opined the "railway managment" way would have been down to Leamside, across Brasside viaduct to Newton Hall Junction.

 

Mr. Ives. Saw the workings but didn't know the route. His Uncle Arthur would have known but it would be rather difficult to speak with him nowadays.

 

Mr Dunn. Apart from the pics of the I/O's  on the "fast" lines running through Durham station, not aware of of any phots between Washington and Newton Hall  (Leamside Route) or Barley Mow & Newton Hall  (ECML) in the "Archive".

 

Why I always assumed (Dangerous, I know.) the ECML.

Now I'm at home, awake and able to confirm dates. Leamside to Newton Hall closed to passengers, 4 May 1964 and goods on the 22 Oct. 1964. Beamish Runaway 9th Dec. 1964. I've never found any traffic notices to the effect of reopening the Auckland Junction to Newton Hall Link. There might have been something noted in the MPM notes of appropriate Trains Illustrated or the Railway Magazine at the time. I'll check mine some other time. It's the type of workings Ian Carr would have recorded over the weekend of 14th/15th if he could have arranged a lift or during the week if he had rung up his h'master but there appears to be nowt.

Someone out there will know and have phots. All I can say up till now is there are a few more tecs on the case. 

 

P

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/11/2019 at 21:59, Porcy Mane said:

Reet. Sorry for not getting on to earlier but the change in weather makes me considerably more sluggish than normal. Blokes I know (Harrison/Williams) that live/lived where you're on about  (Apart form the landlords/stewards) didn't have pics of IO's.

 

I don't know the definitive answer but assume the I/O's travelled mainline, Gateshead, Barley Mow & Newton Hall (See below). Years ago I saw a phot of and I/O hopper on Frankland crossing but it was reputedly late 1950's so may well have been part of a set on it's regular wheel turning visit to Shildon.

 

I took the opportunity to ask a few of the more learned at yesterdays show.

 

Mr. Tyreman. Probably the most knowledgeable gent on NE 1960's railway ops.  He didn't know the route taken but opined the "railway managment" way would have been down to Leamside, across Brasside viaduct to Newton Hall Junction.

 

Mr. Ives. Saw the workings but didn't know the route. His Uncle Arthur would have known but it would be rather difficult to speak with him nowadays.

 

Mr Dunn. Apart from the pics of the I/O's  on the "fast" lines running through Durham station, not aware of of any phots between Washington and Newton Hall  (Leamside Route) or Barley Mow & Newton Hall  (ECML) in the "Archive".

 

Why I always assumed (Dangerous, I know.) the ECML.

Now I'm at home, awake and able to confirm dates. Leamside to Newton Hall closed to passengers, 4 May 1964 and goods on the 22 Oct. 1964. Beamish Runaway 9th Dec. 1964. I've never found any traffic notices to the effect of reopening the Auckland Junction to Newton Hall Link. There might have been something noted in the MPM notes of appropriate Trains Illustrated or the Railway Magazine at the time. I'll check mine some other time. It's the type of workings Ian Carr would have recorded over the weekend of 14th/15th if he could have arranged a lift or during the week if he had rung up his h'master but there appears to be nowt.

Someone out there will know and have phots. All I can say up till now is there are a few more tecs on the case. 

 

P

Do you really think these would come down the ECML, at 25mph, with expresses up their jacksy every few minutes? Was there many opportunities for the train to be looped between Gateshead and Newton Hall Junction?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, over the last couple of days, for various reasons I've made the decision to scrap the existing track (it will eventually find a use in the fiddle yard so it won't be completely wasted) but I figured before I do that, I'd better have a go at building some turnouts and the single slip.  I've built turnouts before but always from kits so I've never had to build a crossing v for example.

 

Here's the result of a couple of hours work tonight, I love the flow that the track work has when built as a single unit...

 

Lots still to do and some of the vees need a bit more work but, even just taped down, I can run wagons through the crossings.

 

IMG_1670.jpg

 

IMG_1671.jpg

 

IMG_1672.jpg

 

IMG_1673.jpg

 

 

Edited by johndon
  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, RBAGE said:

Do you really think these would come down the ECML, at 25mph, with expresses up their jacksy every few minutes? Was there many opportunities for the train to be looped between Gateshead and Newton Hall Junction?

 

I guess they'd have run via the goods lines to Ouston Junction keeping them off the ECML at least that far...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/11/2019 at 17:19, RBAGE said:

Do you really think these would come down the ECML, at 25mph, with expresses up their jacksy every few minutes? Was there many opportunities for the train to be looped between Gateshead and Newton Hall Junction?

 

It was an emergency. Keep trains running (and the crucibles glowing) at all costs. There was plenty of unfitted freights running between Tyne Yard & Tees Yard via the ECML to Tursdale Junction throughout the 1970's when I started to seriously observe the goings on. 

No different to the Dockers strike in 1966 (or was it 67?) Iron ore was then imported through the Tees and transported to Consett using extra mineral workings in unfitted 21t hoppers via ECML & Tyne. Some of the empty returns went via Pelaw and the coast.

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A slight diversion from the main layout but, both as somewhere to photograph rolling stock and as a quick/cheap way of learning how to use static grass, I've had a go at making a small photo plank.  Quite a bit still to do but it is getting there and thanks to Phil Dovaston from the South Pelaw EM Group for his guidance with the static grass.

 

IMG_1695.jpeg

 

IMG_1698.jpeg

 

IMG_1699.jpeg

  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice mate. Everyone should have a photo plank. I must build one myself. Loving the hand built track.

Regards Lez.Z.

  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

You could have took the nail out.

 

 

Will do once I've grassed round the buffer stop...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FYI 

Did you know you can apply static grass without an applicator? I know of two methods that I know will work.

1 You can use a balloon.

First cover the area you want to grass with glue. Then blow up your balloon as hard as you can and rub vigorously on your jumper. Once the glue starts to become tacky, don't leave it too long, spread the grass over it then pass your statically charged balloon over the grass and watch it stand up all by itself.  Job done!

 

2 The cling film "sausage".....Mmm sausages.....err sorry there's no such thing as too many sausages.

Take a sheet of cling film, about 12" square, pour you grass into the middle of the cling film in a heap. Now roll your grass up into a sausage in the cling film, make it nice and tight and as big around as you want and twist the ends a tight as you can, I've found that 1.5-2" is about right. Spread your glue and once it starts to become tacky cut the sausage in half and dab the open end into the glue. It will stand up and the job's a good'un!

None of the above is original it's all on Youtube but I've tried both these methods and they do work.

When static grass first arrived the applicator was outrageously expensive, you didn't get much change from £100, even the puffer bottle was around £15. I mean really?!.........for a plastic bottle?! Of course the price of applicators are much more sensible these days but when all you had was Noch they were really taking the wossname.

Regards Lez.    

  • Informative/Useful 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.