South Pelaw Junction

johndon

• 3 weeks later...

Last weekend, when it looked like the lockdown might be on it's way, I brought two of the South Pelaw baseboards home and set them up in my (itself a work in progress) living room:

spacer.png

and, over the last few days, I've been working on the Down Main (the track furthest from the camera) and, as of this evening, I've managed to get 9' of plain track down and I've almost finished my first ever P4 turnout (I have actually built some others but always from kits with preformed Vs and switch blades), filing my own crossing V and switch blades:

spacer.png

Tie bar design has yet to be decided so they aren't fitted and, until that is soldered in place, I've omitted the slide chairs on the sleepers each side of the tie bar.

I can run a wagon through both roads with no jumps or derailments so I'm rather happy right now...

John

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

50 minutes ago, johndon said:

I brought two of the South Pelaw baseboards home and set them up in my (itself a work in progress) living room:

That's how to do railway modelling. Join the club.

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

Stunning work John! Love the railway in the lounge, not sure that would go down too well in my house though, taking the spare room was risky enough! Looking forward to more progress and specifically what you decide to do RE tie bars. I ended up thinning out a piece of copper clad for my EM points. I tried to use the C&L under board mounted tie bars but they just weren’t strong enough - I know Ambis do a nice etch that looks far too fiddly for me! 

Kind regards,

Will

• Thanks 1

Cheers Will,

Not sure what to go for yet, the Ambis one's do look lovely but I'm not sure I'm up to the job of making them.  I'm considering going for copper clad on it's side with a small bore tube soldered to it for the operating wire to pass through or, I've seen elsewhere, two small copper clad pads with wire between them that are very discreet...

• Friendly/supportive 1

It’ll be a canny while yet Bob, I’m just doing the up and down Consett main for now and want to get that wired and the turnouts  working.

Problem is that the other 6’ scenic board that has a lot of the turnouts on is socially distancing back at the club room so I don’t have access to it. 

Next up is the first ‘complex’ bit of track work, a single slip but at least once that is done I can actually run a loco from one line to the other. 

Track laying has continued and, over the last couple of days, I've been working on a single slip, the most complex bit of trackwork I've tackled so far.  It still needs a couple of tweaks as not all the chairs have been fitted yet but rolling stock runs through it without falling off.

spacer.png

A couple of videos testing different routes over the slip and the curved road over the turnout on the down main.  The first shows a possible 'real' move with a train coming over the junction and heading down to the ECML - this tests the straight road through the new single slip:

And the second shows a very improbable reverse up the down main and over the up main to test the curved road of the slip:

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

Lock down is allowing me to crack on with the trackwork and I've now completed the up and down main lines across both boards (around 24' of track so far) so here are a couple of pics looking in to the now, not to distant, future for the layout.

Two Class 24s come under the bridge with a loaded iron ore train while a Clayton and brake tender head in the opposite direction:

spacer.png

spacer.png

John

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

1 hour ago, johndon said:

Lock down is allowing me to crack on with the trackwork and I've now completed the up and down main lines across both boards (around 24' of track so far) so here are a couple of pics looking in to the now, not to distant, future for the layout.

Two Class 24s come under the bridge with a loaded iron ore train while a Clayton and brake tender head in the opposite direction:

spacer.png

spacer.png

John

Absolutely smashin'. Well done. Keep it up.

Do you have a deadline or hoped for finish date?

• Thanks 1

Just now, RBAGE said:

Absolutely smashin'. Well done. Keep it up.

Do you have a deadline or hoped for finish date?

Thanks Bob.  No deadlines, this is to be the 'layout of a lifetime' and, as a fairly young 51, I hope I have plenty time to get it done.  There is no doubt that lock down has enabled me to get further with it than expected albeit with one board stuck at the club and that one has a good deal of pointwork on it.

I'm still undecided as to whether this will ever go out on show, I'm not sure the work is ready for two versions of South Pelaw on the exhibition circuit.

I'm modelling just a few miles further South on the ECML, at Newton Hall Junction and the build is also benefiting from the confinement. Wiring is moving ahead nicely.

I'm taking advantage of a closure on your line because of the accident at Beamish so will be running iron ore through NH Junction on route to Consett via Relly Mill Junction.

Having tried EM, I threw the towel in, so NH Junction is in 00 gauge.

If you get your current trackwork complete, I'm sure a trip to the club house would be considered as essential travel, for the sake of your well being and state of mind. 

7 hours ago, RBAGE said:

I'm modelling just a few miles further South on the ECML, at Newton Hall Junction and the build is also benefiting from the confinement. Wiring is moving ahead nicely.

I'm taking advantage of a closure on your line because of the accident at Beamish so will be running iron ore through NH Junction on route to Consett via Relly Mill Junction.

Having tried EM, I threw the towel in, so NH Junction is in 00 gauge.

If you get your current trackwork complete, I'm sure a trip to the club house would be considered as essential travel, for the sake of your well being and state of mind. 

is your layout stay at home?  

Even I choose not to exhibit mine, once it is up and running, the plan is to invite interested parties to the club to come and have a play. 

Yes, mine is built into a shed so impossible to move.

The good thing about a fix layout is that you can build it the way it needs to be built, without consideration of portability. Good plan to keep it for the club and visitors.

Where is the club? 

40 minutes ago, RBAGE said:

Yes, mine is built into a shed so impossible to move.

The good thing about a fix layout is that you can build it the way it needs to be built, without consideration of portability. Good plan to keep it for the club and visitors.

Where is the club? 

It’s in Jarrow, a stones throw from Tyne Dock. 

1 hour ago, RBAGE said:

Are you well, Mr. Mane?

Well bog rolled up so I guess that makes me, Healthy, wealthy with good supplies.

All good in the world round Finchale way?