HSB in the Süd Harz HOm

PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold

Yes he's usually no1 sidekick ;) After the Swiss layout I have high expectations of the running so I'll be trying to iron out the problems. I thought the cobalts were nearly as bulletproof as the tortoise after the experience with Lulworth so the three failures over about three hours were concerning as they put three sidings and the runround out of use. I was concerned that if they continued to fail at that rate I wouldn't have any left after a two day show.

• RMweb Gold

I found this article from May 2016 so the scheme to reopen the line to Braunlage is being looked at again.

http://www.volksstimme.de/lokal/wernigerode/20160507/hsb-bahn-soll-ost-und-west-verbinden

Translation of the article

Wernigerode / Braunlage

Seven years ago, it almost succeeded: Braunlage should be connected to the stretch of the Harzer Schmalspurbahnen. Now the points are set again: In the cooperation agreement between Wernigerode and Braunlage, the goal is formulated to connect the West Harz to the HSB railway network.

"For Wernigerode and Braunlage, it would be a significant advantage," says Braunlage's Mayor Stefan Grote in the Volksstimme interview. The SPD politician finds it "fascinating", what tourist opportunities could arise from the link. "Both towns each have more than one million overnight stays.

The Braunlager Administrative Committee - the counterpart to Wernigerode's main committee - had suggested to include the wording in the paper. "The contract will include the optimization of local public transport," says Grote. "It is therefore obvious that the goal is to link Braunlage to the HSB network."

At Harzer Schmalspurbahnen GmbH, the wish of Lower Saxony is known. "This is a highly interesting project for us," says HSB Press Officer Dirk Bahnsen. "Many people want that for a very long time. But the whole thing is under the proviso of financial viability. "

Plans are in the drawer

There are already several plans in the drawer at the HSB. Three different spans were investigated in 2009, according to Bahnsen. A variant which branches off shortly before Schierke in the direction of Elend and then leads along the federal road 27 to Braunlage. It would be six kilometers long and would cost eleven million euros. This is the most inexpensive, since it is the shortest variant. A further proposal to incorporate a link between Elend and Sorge was discussed in 2013. Then Braunlage would not be a terminus station but an intermediate station. For this 13-kilometer-long route one could have used old parts of the decommissioned Süd Harz line. Due to the high costs, however, the plan was rejected. "kilometer per kilometer is estimated to be around two million euros," says Bahnsen.

The maintenance of the tracks should not be ignored: operating costs are estimated at three-quarters of a million euros annually. If the project is to be implemented, the state of Lower Saxony must actively participate in the financing of HSB.

The wish has existed since 1991

For him the advance was not a surprise, says Andreas Meling, responsible for the cooperation agreement and the local development in Schierke. "The wish of the Braunlager has already existed since 1991," he says. Already since the establishment of the railway company in 1993, Braunlages Kurbetriebsgesellschaft, heutee Tourismus GmbH, was a member of the HSB, in addition to municipalities from Saxony-Anhalt and Thuringia.

In 2009, it would have been almost time. At that time Lower Saxony's former Minister of Economics and Transport, Philipp Rösler (FDP), had pushed the project forward. The Lower Saxony

government had even decided to invest four million euros. "Unfortunately, Rösler was recalled too early to Berlin by Party chief Guido Westerwelle," remembers Stefan Grote. "His successor had no interest in pursuing the subject."

The connection existed until the Second World War

Braunlage was connected to the Narrow gauge network in the East Harz and also to the Brocken by the line until the Second World War over the Süd harz eisenbahn. Shortly after the war in 1945, the smaller network of the South Harz railroad in the West Harz was separated from the east, which made business uneconomical. In 1963, the Süd harzl eisenbahn closed to traffic, later the tracks were dismantled.

• Like 1

Well I tried a BR 52 2 cylinder file that sounded the best in the samples on the website but is completely different when playing on the loco! Oh well another hour wasted configuring the whistles and uploading it.

Reloaded the BR01 modified file for now ;)

Hi Paul.

After frying a sound chip whilst fitting it to my 2-10-2. :( I fell out with it for a while! Over the past few days though I've fitted another chip. I managed to get the small tillig speaker (66051) in the cab by filing the clear plastic sound chamber down a little bit and gluing it to the speaker. I've also been messing around with the sound profiles, I too tried the obvious one 95, 52, 50 and as you say they dont quite have the attack in the exhaust. I did however come across this BR45 ESU profile 92441 this to me sounds spot on with the correct whistle and a really nice coast feature that doesn't chuff again until the power is raised back up again, the only thing missing is the clunk from the Trofimoff valve when the initial steam is admitted to the cylinders but i can live with that! Let me know what you think.

Matt

• RMweb Gold

Hi Matt, my speakers are on the bottom of the coal which also works well. Ta for the idea I'll have a go with that when 7238 arrives back from the 'works' on Wednesday. Hoping it's fixed!

Just had a look and it's says M4 chip, so it works ok on the micro?

Edited by PaulRhB

Very nice Paul, judging by the speed that you built the line I think your problems were quite minimal. But I can understand how they would annoy you. But still a very creditable first outing me thinks. Will be better next time I am sure. Trouble for me it makes me see just how much more Foliage and Trees I need on my G Scale rendition of the Harz.

JonD

• RMweb Gold

Well after a few annoying faults at Shepton I've had time to try and sort things out.

The three point motors have gone back to DCC concepts after a quick chat with Mr B ;) and he'll try to find out what's up and get them back for next week.

The 2-10-2's are both on the bench to try and sort the contacts. These thin wipers are frankly rubbish as standard. I've twisted and tweaked to get all wheels in contact and provide a flatter contact point so slight movement shouldn't isolate them so easily.

7238 came back from Germany better but not perfect so I'm trying to run it in to see if that helps.

• RMweb Gold

Paul

After our conversation at the weekend fingers crossed that you cur the loco issues. Mine has only run on the short test track. Still need to fit a decoder then hopefully it can have a run on your layout some point in the future.

• RMweb Gold

It will be very welcome Ian. 7238 was so close but just not acceptable for a £300 loco. Finger prodding every time and incapable of smooth slow running while 247 is silky smooth when the contacts are sorted.

I've sent a video to MSL to share with Tillig and waiting their response. They are very helpful it just takes so long with having to trundle back and forth every time. No chance of having it fixed for Wimborne so 247 will have to hold the fort.

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

From my experiences there I think it's the location rather than the layout, schools may be great for space but seem to encourage poor running, I've had more issues at schools than any other locations... Perhaps there's something "in the air" from all those kids during the week?!! ;)

You are right there. First time I exhibited my DCC layout was in as school and every now and then a loco would set off at full speed on its own. Only way to rescue it was to reset the decoder every time it happened. Problem was said to be 'dirty' mains power or the school wifi.

• RMweb Gold

Ok after the fun with poor contacts and all the work yesterday on the better loco 247 this test was to simulate going over the dreaded reverse curves of a crossover that needed prodding sometimes before. I ran this for 15mins without it stalling so I'm hoping that's the issue solved. Basically clean and tweak all the wipers for better contact area and I removed the traction tyre on the rear driver too.

https://youtu.be/AcRNS4cWD8I

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks to Mick the three point motors are on the way back already, one had a faulty board and two worked ok once switched addresses and then restored. They tested ok on push buttons so I'm going to wire in some emergency push buttons to kick them back if they fail again.

Good customer service from DCC concepts :)

Edited by PaulRhB

It's a bit worrying to hear about poor running, especially with all those wheels! The model of 99 4101 I have (HOe version of 6101) was a really poor runner, ie: it would barely even twitch. It has been repaired and appears to run better but I haven't been able to test it on the layout yet. I'm hoping I can shoehorn an ESU micro powerpack into it.

• RMweb Gold

It's a bit worrying to hear about poor running, especially with all those wheels! The model of 99 4101 I have (HOe version of 6101) was a really poor runner, ie: it would barely even twitch. It has been repaired and appears to run better but I haven't been able to test it on the layout yet. I'm hoping I can shoehorn an ESU micro powerpack into it.

I doubt it, I can't get the powerpack in the 2-10-2 and while the 0-6-0 is easier to get into there's even less space. I managed to get the contacts sorted on 247 with a bit of tweaking but the most effective thing was to remove the rear traction tyre, leaving just the centre one. I contacted MSL and they said Tillig had fixed it using their own decoder so I sent them video of the same decoder in 247 and some videos of 7238 running to show the issue. I got a post paid return label by return email ;)

• RMweb Gold

Well thanks to Mick at DCC Concepts the three recalcitrant point motors were shipped back and returned fettled within a week and are now back and tested in the layout. One had signs of a fault so was repaired while the other two he was able to switch addresses and then back so a bit odd but an easy fix if it happens again.

The 2-10-2 is running well again and I'm pretty sure I've found the main issues on that.

Unfortunately the second 2-10-2 has gone back to Germany again but as it's accompanied by several videos this time I'm hopeful they will test it on reverse curves and at slow speed this time and see the fault I have as shown in the videos, the return label came immediately I sent them over ;) . They said it only picks up on three axles, well there are pickups on all ten wheels so that seems a bit odd. Personally I think it's a combined issue that the rocking rear three axles, two of which have traction tyres, are lifted by the torque placing all the weight on the traction tyres meaning it's picking up on just the front two axles at times. Add to that that the front brake shoes hold the cylinders in and the rods were hitting the pistons which were slightly angled in causing most of the mechanical clicking. I couldn't realign the cylinders slide bar angles so had to remove the front brake hanger and pull the cylinders out a mm each side. Assembly needs to be perfect or it all fights itself, I tried running it in on rollers but to get contact you could only use three which meant I'm not running in flat on the track so the rocking section was pushing down and not really bedding in as it should. As it wouldn't go round corners running it in on the track for half an hour was a bit difficult, my flat isn't that long!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well there's no point hiding the problems but the first one was easily fixed and the second is getting there. The other option is over twice as much so it depends what you want to model.

The LGB version was very reliable but you can get five of the HOm locos for the same price ;)

Paul, you have in a very small soace of time achieved a superb look and feel of the Harz with your SHB rendition. Having been visiting since 1981 I can say that this is second to none that I have seen. Such a shame that the 2-10-2's are giving issues. Hopefully they will be resolved to the satisfaction of all, a Harz line without out them would be severly lacking. Think that I will stick with my big stuff now.

JonD

• RMweb Gold

Think that I will stick with my big stuff now.

JonD

Cheers Jon, I would love to have expanded it in G but it was just too big now we've lost the barn at a friends. I did chat to Chris Klein of Minerva at Wimborne as he likes the HSB and suggest an Om one ;) he'd have been up for it if I could bankroll it ;)