HSB in the Süd Harz HOm

PaulRhB

They do look the biz. Sherry and I are due in Wernigerode next week, having finally agreed on a honeymoon - two years after the wedding!

And about time too ! ;)

Enjoy yourselves and don't do anything that I wouldn't do ( which gives you..... Well, you know )

G

• RMweb Gold

Well 2 out of 3 performed well with the new pickups, restricted suspension and blacking thoroughly cleaned off :) 7238 as expected developed problems and at low speed was appallingly rough yet smoothed out at higher speed. It appears to be bouncing so it's almost like the gears seize then release.

Couple of jobs to do but lots of interest in the real Süd Harz as a result of chats.

Good to see a few faces for the first time and Gerhard again :)

• RMweb Gold

While playing with the arrangement for the Walkenried Extension I found I was going to struggle to get the three forest boards and the hidden station, (to represent the rest of the HSB), in the envelope I have for the cars.

So I have trimmed 3 foot from the board length and made the hidden station the rear third of the forest boards. That should make it faster to assemble and more stable too.

Cross section with the hidden station on the left side of the backscene. That will consist of the ballasted tracks with ground level ash platforms with the station building on the backscene  to give the operators more of a sense of a location than a plain fiddleyard.

post-6968-0-65876300-1507056532.jpg

The revised overall plan

post-6968-0-32270400-1507056597_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Working out the board cuts for the extension. The heavy red lines will be the actual boards.

post-6968-0-07895000-1507215062_thumb.jpg

I made a template from mounting card that will also act as the cutting template on the wood.

post-6968-0-60828800-1507215154_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Three plans showing the evolution of the plan for Walkenried. I started with the bottom plan but decided I needed the carriage sheds to be easier to access than requiring a double shunt to get to the platforms. On the real site there isn't room to have them out beyond the station for direct access.

The middle plan put the carriage shed at the other end so they can be pulled out then dropped back into a platform. I also added a single road loco shed as with the sets stored at Walkenried they'd need room for at least two locos.

The third plan has added a second road to the loco shed as I decided right opposite the station building would be a bit smoky and not passenger friendly ;) I also added a third road to the carriage shed so I can store two service sets and the heritage set too, it also now acts as the view block for the Standard Gauge line to disappear.

I have considered cutting it right back to a simple loop and two sidings as a minimal station, a bit like Hasselfelde, but not sure how that will work as interest for the operators and it would mean adding a carriage shed to Braunlage to cover the heritage stock.

post-6968-0-78036000-1507717636_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Increasingly moving towards simplifying this station a bit so it's not so crowded. I've run a couple of simulated sequences to try a different operation that worked quite well so now paring down the clutter ;)

• RMweb Gold

I ended up cutting it even further back to a basic station with the modern container crane at the front. This design fits the real site better as the mainline track sits in the original place. It means that the service to Walkenried will be lighter local trains only usually but there is room to accommodate 7 coaches if they shunt release.

The loco service track is outside and now well away from the passengers so coal dust and muck aren't a problem.

So Walkenried is now more of a representation of the smaller termini like Hasselfelde or Harzgerode :)

post-6968-0-35678800-1507845989_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

:) Possibly ;)

Part of the rethink on this was would they have a big facility at Walkenried? So I went to the Selketal and looked at that and it appears they are just running sheds with minimal coach storage. Sets seem to be kept outside in some locations for first trains so this is my thinking for the local set. I'm going to upgrade the sidings at Braunlage with a covered shed as I decided that's the more likely base for starting trains as it's the tourist town. Walkenried is a useful connection to bring people in from the South and has the standard gauge container transfer.

In my head early trains will be biased to commuters travelling up to work in Braunlage then tourists taking trips from the resort along the scenic valley plus heading for the Brocken. So the basic passenger service will be two three coach sets shuttling between both ends of the line with a standard HSB 'mainline' set connecting Braunlage to the main system. I got to thinking why then would you put the main coach sheds at the end that can't directly access both lines? ;)

So current thinking is add a small running shed to Braunlage station and to put the main facility with storage sheds on the old box factory site directly behind the station accessed from the connection to Wurmberg.

Image from Google showing original station site as my imagining of the rebuild.

The yellow box is the real station site and where my model is based. The loop round goes north to Wurmberg and the new supermarket is on the site of the old box factory so putting the sheds behind that hides them in reality as well as in model form. EDIT: that triangle of land ,purple outline, looks perfect for the sheds ;)

Map data copyright Google, Braunlage

.post-6968-0-22074400-1507887255_thumb.png

This has the advantage that I don't need to model it yet and wouldn't be part of the show scheme anyway.

Sorge is another possibility as it would be useful as an intermediate shed on the main system too if the Süd Harz reopened.

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Would be good to build a bit of Harz NG but with a full garage I have no room at present. Still considering the big shed in the garden though.

What you have to ask yourself is, 'is it really full?' Is there some space near the roof I could put a shelf in or put the layout in trollies in the gangway, do I really need a hallway ;)

I've amended the map to use the triangle of land behind the supermarket.

• RMweb Gold

What you have to ask yourself is, 'is it really full?' Is there some space near the roof I could put a shelf in or put the layout in trollies in the gangway, do I really need a hallway ;)

I've amended the map to use the triangle of land behind the supermarket.

Yes that space is full. Shelves to ceiling and bike hanging up on the walls aswell. Not sure why I keep the bike really as the tyres are perishing.