HSB in the Süd Harz HOm

PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold

With a list of detailing jobs to do before the next outing at the NEC I thought I’d start with the rolling stock I was given for Xmas. Plenty more and the rest of the light rig to finish.

post-6968-0-53783700-1548177210_thumb.jpeg

post-6968-0-33381600-1548177266_thumb.jpeg

• Like 10

I just read this thread yesterday so apologies if my info is late for some members. If staying in Berlin, at weekends the Harz Express, operated by HEX, runs to the Harz on Saturday and Sunday mornings, returning from the Harz in the early evening. It leaves Berlin Ostbahnhof circa 07.05 and calls at other main stations in Berlin, then Wannsee, Potsdam and onwards to Halberstadt.There the train divides with one portion travelling on to Thales via Quedlingburg and the other to Goslar via Wernigerode. It arrives in Wernigerode about 10.25, minutes before the HSB steam train. In summer on certain days it's possible to travel on the HSB in an open wagon for a Eur 1 supplement and this is fantastic for photo shots ( and some good healthy smoke intake ! ) It's possible in summer for 4 steamers to be in Drei Ahnen Hohe at one time in the afternoon, depending if specials are running. Goslar is well worth a visit by the way, absolutely beautiful; Quedlingburg and Wernigerode are too but Goslar is a larger town.

The other good news re the Harz Express is the fare structure. Last year Eur 19 return from Berlin for one person or Eur 30 for two. Light snacks are served at very reasonable prices. Interesting journey as you pass through Wannsee, Potsdam, Magdeburg en route.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Does that mean I’ve got to go to Warley later this year to see your layout?

That old chap is up to you but it’s all there, with several of the inmates here, as I’ve filled in the forms ;)

Do say hello and if there’s anything you want to see just ask as one thing we will have is plenty of room.

Edited by PaulRhB

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Ah, well. I have baseboards built for a dumbell config layout about 21’ long. A three-road station layout exists as do the return loops, which have sidings within.The module the railcar was photographed on is a feeder into one of the return loops. I am now about to lay track on a fifth board which will include a sawmill. With 2 0-6-0s and 4 2-10-2s in the cupboard, as well as quite a lot of rolling stock, the early Spring here is ideal for setting it all up on the terrasse and letting things stretch their legs!   

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I’ve caught up with Ian and plumped for the DR version, obviously a photo charter recently ;) , because I think it just looks better with the lettering. 

Lovely model, nice and heavy like Pfiffi & Fiffi

676B3D8B-E020-4B9B-A828-FDD7EBD23EE7.jpeg.d76fe680e0847899c8ac8884bb0f3144.jpeg

And a genuine Harz tipple for the operators . . . After the shows! ;)

4B50E1A5-2881-4DA5-8AF0-CC1C4496D52E.jpeg.b3ca7abc642ba81062862cfcfa803080.jpeg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 7
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I will be doing DR but probably just after the wall came down when we first visited. I can't remember whether that was officially before or after reunification. L & B layout will be first though.

However I can bring my Harz stock to Warley if you wish to make use of it Paul.

• Like 1

Paul,

Apologies for coming so late to the party, but I have just discovered this thread. It's a bit hidden away in this here part of the forum! 

As with all your projects this really is superb. Your skill and workrate are amazing and I love the way you plan and execute your layouts. It's a proper 'railway' :good_mini: Everything just blends and melds together so well, the colours and overall picture painted is wonderful.

I have a real soft spot for meter gauge railways so will follow your progress with interest!

Cheers,

David

PS - love the look of that 'post-match' tipple! Almost worth being on your feet for 8 hours at a time in front of the adoring public  :jester:

Edited by south_tyne
Added some stuff....
  • Thanks 1

On 09/04/2018 at 08:43, Oldddudders said:

I feel trains were shorter in the DR period, although I hope to be able to run 6-cars, which is nearly long enough for today. I also think the Selketalbahn still has shorter formations. The Brocken remains the big prize for the system - and that was off-limits in the DR era, I think.

A bit late in responding, but throughout the 1980s the standard formation on the Harzquerbahn 'mainline' was five coaches plus a full or half baggage van. On the branches to Schierke and Hasselfelde it was one coach less. Towards the end of the DR period in winter 1991/92, when traffic was at a low ebb, three coaches plus a half baggage van seems to have been the norm.

Bill

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Yes the formations on the Selketal were three coaches plus a baggage when I was there and they made for spirited running with the 2-10-2 ;) 

One of the nice things with modelling the Süd Harz was I could make the local trains short too but contrast that with a mainline set coming in from the HSB. There are a few photos in the DR period of single coach trains on the Selketal that are shorter than the loco! :) 

I like all periods but I decided on modern era as it gave me total freedom in stock with tourist sets and photo charters in DR livery. I had the excuse for a bit of freelancing as the railway was totally rebuilt ;) so I wasn’t tied to anything but could try and capture the flavour. 

I do keep thinking about taking the long gone chocolate factory from the outskirts of Wernigerode and moving it to the Süd Harz but I haven’t figured out how to fit it in the cars! It would add a nice bit of operational interest . . . ;)

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

Yes the formations on the Selketal were three coaches plus a baggage when I was there and they made for spirited running with the 2-10-2 ;) 

One of the nice things with modelling the Süd Harz was I could make the local trains short too but contrast that with a mainline set coming in from the HSB. There are a few photos in the DR period of single coach trains on the Selketal that are shorter than the loco! :) 

I like all periods but I decided on modern era as it gave me total freedom in stock with tourist sets and photo charters in DR livery. I had the excuse for a bit of freelancing as the railway was totally rebuilt ;) so I wasn’t tied to anything but could try and capture the flavour. 

I do keep thinking about taking the long gone chocolate factory from the outskirts of Wernigerode and moving it to the Süd Harz but I haven’t figured out how to fit it in the cars! It would add a nice bit of operational interest . . . ;)

Paul,

I certainly have plenty of photographs with three coaches plus a van on the Selketalbahn, but two coaches with or without a van was also common, and with three coaches there was no certainty where the van would be positioned - all grist to the modeller's mill I presume! The only occasion I can recall seeing a single coach train it had left Gernrode with two, so I presume a fault had developed en route, requiring one coach to be detached at Alexisbad. On that occasion it was a Mallet, so it didn't look too ridiculous, but even two coaches and a 2-10-2T looked all wrong!

https://www.fotocommunity.de/user_photos/1764694?sort=new&folder_id=809320

A friend in the village who is a modeller is hoping to get to the Warley exhibition this year and I intend accompanying him - I look forward very much to seeing your layout then.

Bill

Edited by Bill Jamieson
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

Wow Bill! I must get the laptop out to look closer, The two Ian’s are going to enjoy that :) 

Lots of goodies there, ‘tis true! I’m looking on an iPad, which is a start, but hope to get my iMac back when I’m home next week (I need to be back in France before Brexit!), with its 27” screen, which really brings out the best in photos. 

Here's a link to my Harzquerbahn shots as well - https://www.fotocommunity.de/user_photos/1764694?sort=new&folder_id=881928

These are only a fraction of what I took between 1977 and 1992 but there is a lot of repetition in the locations I photographed - the opportunities on the northern half of the line were actually quite limited until 1985 when tree felling started to reveal the famous S-curve south of the then former Draengetal crossing loop (since reinstated of course). Beyond Drei Annen Hohne both the main line and the Schierke branch disappeared into the Sperrgebiet, the former only becoming accessible again at Benneckenstein. In early 1990 after the wall came down I spent about a week in the Harz, mainly photographing the newly accessible section between DAH/Elend and Benneckenstein in great weather- I have since seen video of 99 6101 on Rollbock workings at Wernigerode that same week, including into the chocolate factory, which I really should have spent some time following. Too late now!

Bill

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Bill Jamieson said:

Paul,

I certainly have plenty of photographs with three coaches plus a van on the Selketalbahn, but two coaches with or without a van was also common, and with three coaches there was no certainty where the van would be positioned - all grist to the modeller's mill I presume! The only occasion I can recall seeing a single coach train it had left Gernrode with two, so I presume a fault had developed en route, requiring one coach to be detached at Alexisbad. On that occasion it was a Mallet, so it didn't look too ridiculous, but even two coaches and a 2-10-2T looked all wrong!

https://www.fotocommunity.de/user_photos/1764694?sort=new&folder_id=809320

A friend in the village who is a modeller is hoping to get to the Warley exhibition this year and I intend accompanying him - I look forward very much to seeing your layout then.

Bill

I do like the flat car load part way down in those photos and the transporter wagons. We did see these in use  on our trip on the Harz and elsewhere back in the early 90's.

7 hours ago, roundhouse said:

I do like the flat car load part way down in those photos and the transporter wagons. We did see these in use  on our trip on the Harz and elsewhere back in the early 90's.

Is it the bunker-first shot of 99 5904 you mean? If so, here's the going away shot of the loco with part of the consignor's name just visible on the protective covering to one of the loads. I think the full name is Holzwerk Rinkemühle, which had a siding off the Selketalbahn between Silberhütte and Strassberg. Their speciality was barrels which the load definitely isn't - it looks more like  sawn timber to me. There was also a siding into a sawmill at Silberhütte, which was perhaps part of Holzwerk Rinkemühle. I was a bit puzzled at first why these wagons should be conveyed in a train from Harzgerode but I see that the full out and back working from Gernrode comprised

69714 10:40 Gernrode - Strassberg

69725 12:41 Strassberg - Harzgerode

69713 14:06 Harzgerode - Gernrode

No doubt the wagons were picked up at Silberhütte by train 69725 and were taken up to Harzgerode on its way to Gernrode.

Bill

80_7_2sp.jpg

Edited by Bill Jamieson
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Bill. Yes it was that load that took my liking. I am planning on modelling early 90's when we visited a couple of times. I just have 2 locos and 5 coaches at present but plan to have some freight aswell as time and funds allow.