HSB in the Süd Harz HOm - Braunlage to Walkenried.

PaulRhB

• RMweb Premium

Well I found a sponsor for the tickets - so I pay for the parking only and that makes it affordable. Unfortunately the train frequency on Sunday together with possible industrial actions doesn't allow the use of the train.

Hope all is up and running well.

See you on Sunday Paul!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 19/11/2019 at 13:32, Vecchio said:

Well I found a sponsor for the tickets - so I pay for the parking only and that makes it affordable. Unfortunately the train frequency on Sunday together with possible industrial actions doesn't allow the use of the train.

Hope all is up and running well.

See you on Sunday Paul!

Small change. Mum in hospital, me in Vienna. Have a good show...

Gerhard aka Vecchio

• Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold

Despite having seen parts of the layout before, it looked very impressive and much bigger than I thought. I was hoping to accept Paul's invitation to have a go but just too busy on the demo stand.

I did manage a couple of photos just before close tonight. One of my loco on shed another of one of Paul's.

20191124_164314.jpg

20191124_164431.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the comments folks, and to my crew who just got on with it and allowed me to get a few brief glimpses of it from the punters side. There were a few gremlins with the WiFi being swamped on Saturday and one or two loco issues but thankfully the crew worked around them and seemed to be having fun doing it. 

Layout safely back in the flat without a scratch. 

Thanks to Ian (Temeraire) and Tim for transporting it and to Mike, Neil, Pat, Steve, Julian & James for running it so well and two very entertaining evenings at the pub! Thanks also to Ian ( Roundhouse) for the loan of the extra locos which not only added to the fleet making the sheds look properly busy but kept me calm when it looked like mine were in trouble! It’s a great to know there’s a backup and while mine won’t need as heavy weathering as his DR era ones I am thinking I could get away with one in photo charter ‘grot’. Here’s to the day we can join up your layout to extend it further ;)

That was fun!

• Like 1

What a marvellous system and so evocative of the real thing. Well done to all concerned. Is there any chance of some film of its attendance at Warley?

Thank you for bringing to life some lovely memories.

Martin Long

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I didn’t get any film even though I’d wanted to and only a few photos. I was just too busy Saturday and struggling to get around the show to see some of the rest on Sunday. 

What was really nice though was the number of people who’d visited the Harz, and in one case fired a 2-10-2 up the Brocken, who were very nice about it. The very best bit about our hobby is sharing the how to bits like the backscenes and I was brutally honest about the Tillig 2-10-2’s faults plus how to fix them ;) 

• Like 2

I must admit that this was one of the layouts I made a bee-line for when I managed to prise myself from behind the N Gauge Society Stand. I thought it was superb even though I know you guys were having issues with your wireless DCC Controllers due to the magnitude of other Wireless DCC controllers in the hall.

@Geoff Endacott we need to invite this layout to Trainwest one year, preferably in it's entirety.

Regards

Neal. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Neal, fortunately we have a contingency now that means we can swap to wired controllers in seconds so should this occur again it won’t cripple the show like it did for a while on Saturday. 

Thanks are due to Sunningwell for making up a lead on the spot and DCC automation for having the knowledge of what else would work and another compatible controller that was instant plug and play. Both shops I’ve dealt with before, which is why I made a beeline to them first, and again friendly and helpful :) 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

Could you still reach the stock pile of cakes with the tethered controllers??

Oh yes, they were well within the 20ft leads reach ;) Anyhow we had a Minion for that :D

I wonder if I can crowbar in that ferry idea I had for the HO Freemo based on a cake trolley? . . . ;) 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 2

Cracking layout, I like the Different angles of the boards, Lots like those in the Modelbau in Dortmond. Makes for a nice journey.

I must say you should get commision from the Harz tourist board as this thread has cetainly ticked the box to visit this in 2021 in Feb!!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Ta, I’d hoped to have the barriers closer as usually the Warley barriers can be manipulated to follow the layout but the ones we had were rather too good and could only make the slightest curve ;) 

Still a few commented it made it easier to get photos and no one moaned so hey ho :) 

As to visiting I can thoroughly recommend it and there’s plenty more to see around the area. I’m going back again next year :) 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

As to visiting I can thoroughly recommend it and there’s plenty more to see around the area. I’m going back again next year :) 

If my long-suffering second wife can enjoy the Harz experience, then anyone with a liking for railways can surely do so. And the late first wife would have loved it too.  

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Thanks Neal, fortunately we have a contingency now that means we can swap to wired controllers in seconds so should this occur again it won’t cripple the show like it did for a while on Saturday. ...

Good to know about your troubles.

I still have 2 Lenz handheld  devices and also a  rather new Fleischmann Lokmaus. Friend of mine ( and operator on the layout) has a Roco lokmaus too so we are all prepared for worst case.  Points control is not affected as I have a mimic board parallel to the wireless devices. Will have to add some sockets for all those wired controllers and I  hope to see the umbrella  effect... ( when you are prepared it doesn't happen).