HSB in the Süd Harz HOm - Calne April 2024.

PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold

They do look rather nice kits but at present my thoughts are to do Nordhausen station. Look forward to seeing photos of your layout Ian.

By coincidence Paul we just drank that bottle of Schierker Feuerstein hat you gave me last November. Not bad. After drinking it, I then unintentionally poured a dark ale into the same glass - almost a hint of a barrel aged beer!!

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

As soon as I saw the name I knew the website! I’d been looking at the O gauge bridges for Om a while ago before deciding to carve them from foam. :) 

Missed all the Harz stuff, not sure if that’s a healthy site for me as I’m already thinking they’d make a nice project just to build the station building . . .

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

He has covered, or will be covering, all four major Harz system junction stations, which are surely the most interesting, as they offer runrounds, connections etc. . But the kits do take time. Each window is three pieces plus glazing, for example. Quality is good - but prices are much higher than equivalent plastic kits, so need thinking about. My own feeling has always been that a station building on most layouts dominates. All the trains come and go, but the station is the backcloth. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, bbishop said:

Paul, 

something you may want to look at

Spur Null Magazin Forum / Spur Null Planen und Bauen / Anlagenbau 2 : Ausgestaltung / Bahnhof Stöberhai

https://forum.spurnull-magazin.de/thread/12454-bahnhof-stöberhai-der-ehem-südharzeisenbahn-in-spur-0/?pageNo=2

Thanks Bill

Ive got similar drawings in the two Harzer schmalspur spezialitäten books including Stoberhai. If I had space I’d keep extending it ;) If I built any more it would just be for shows only as the design was for the three stations to fit a specific room with new forest boards and I’d need a fourth car to transport it. 
I think I’ll stick with 44ft ;) 

• RMweb Gold

It’s good isn’t it :) I’d been sent it a few years back, by Ulrich I think, and it’s one of the things that lead to me doing Brunnensbach-Mühle as weathered rather than ultra pristine. 
That video, two Harzer Spezials and the Zieglgänsberger/Roper book are the best sources I’ve found on the Süd Harz so far. There is another book but I can’t find it anywhere at a mildly reasonable price. I’ve seen one offered at €400 but I’m not paying that! ;) 

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well I’ve been musing on ideas as setting up two stations at home to run it as a railway is rather tight and I need to build a loop board that comes out at approximately 3x4 ft to join them back to back. 
So I thought what could I do within the same footprint of wood? 
So doodling based on Harzgerode and a condensed Hasselfelde style I’ve come up with these two options using my Freem009 module ends for 12mm too. With a short 6” adaptor board they also mean I could join them up to one of the Süd Harz stations ;) 

HSB modules?

This is a lot easier to store than a big loop board and can fit up in the corner like my 009 version so could stay set up for a week or two and not get in the way  . . .  tempting . . :) 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Ha! Well progress today was halted by an invite to a friends ‘bubble’ for outdoor dinner so it’s still a pile of wood. I’m trying to decide whether to do Harzgerode & Straßberg or continue with the Süd Harz and do Wieda and Stoberhai, with a certain amount of ‘ish’ on each ;)

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

2 modules built and I remembered I had the Tillig unitrack so I’ve mocked it up using that and now wondering if I use it for these or more closely follow the rest of the layout . . . hmmmm ;) 

HOm HSB module

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Ok I decided to try a twist on my usual stick the sleeper on the edge and drilled two holes and inserted half inch brass pins outside it to support the rails laterally for alignment. It should look better and easier than grinding out the front edge to represent ballast. Here goes . . 

HOm module

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I was thinking of using the mp1 point motors I had but as there are only three on each module it meant another dr4018, wasting three outputs on each decoder, and two extra power supplies.

50375131787_77dfff5645_b.jpg

By reverting to the cobalts I use on the big layout I can supply everything from the bus but there’s the problem of 70mm depth if used conventionally and the modules only have a 44mm deep frame. 
My friend Tim used some on their side with the wire cranked 90° to get the sideways motion. 

On these modules folding the two sets of legs into the board narrows the space to just 105mm wide, too narrow to offset them simply, and this leaves two options. 

First option is I mount them longitudinally and use an rc bellcrank to turn the motion 90°, which I know will work but introduces more parts to snag. 

Second option is I use a T shape wire and squeeze them in sideways within the footprint of the 70mm body, this looks like it will work but I need to try it with the motor to see what the rise is if I centre it as I can’t have it protruding above rail height although it would be simpler as it uses less parts.

Cobalt pm

Cobalt pm

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I had an entertaining half hour adding the controls for the modules to my file on the Z21. When I uploaded the latest image it also replaced Walkenried with the same one! Then when I reloaded that it replaced Brunnensbach with Walkenried! And then the same happened with. Braunlage being replaced with Brunnensbach. It seemed to duplicate whatever image I uploaded on the previous screen as well!?! Glad all the files were on the phone but slightly odd!

HOm HSB modules

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
Die Südharz Eisenbahn

The third reprint of the Südharz book was recently released and I ordered mine from the HSB shop to support the railway. 
At 545 pages it’s a big book and while mostly black and white there are quite a lot of colour pictures too. The full history along with a section on the 2009 rebuild proposals. 
The translation camera app is going to be busy! :)

Die Südharz Eisenbahn

Die Südharz Eisenbahn

Even the end plates are useful!

Die Südharz Eisenbahn

The multiple 2009 proposals are fascinating and supported by several other route drawings. 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I dragged myself away from the book and the modules are no longer legless. There are two legs to each as they have to be free standing so they can go either way round. The feet are countersunk head bolts with felt pads superglued on as the tape gives way too fast. 

HOm module

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PaulRhB said:

I dragged myself away from the book and the modules are no longer legless. There are two legs to each as they have to be free standing so they can go either way round. The feet are countersunk head bolts with felt pads superglued on as the tape gives way too fast. 
60B1F330-EA53-452E-A863-218AC4448E7C.jpeg.972bf4d45f91bb152a67634c3e61b483.jpeg

Looking good Paul.

I might be legless tonight as our last night out that we can stay out after 10pm. The first day of 10 pm pub closing is my birthday.. B@gger.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

Looking good Paul.

I might be legless tonight as our last night out that we can stay out after 10pm. The first day of 10 pm pub closing is my birthday.. B@gger.

Well do like a mate of mine has done and build a bar in the garden ;) pick four friends and adjourn to ‘The Roundhouse’ after 10 :) 

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

Well do like a mate of mine has done and build a bar in the garden ;) pick four friends and adjourn to ‘The Roundhouse’ after 10 :) 

That's currently in planning stage for construction to commence very soon. It will help block out the neighbours smoking spot as it blows into the shed.

• RMweb Gold

I made a test rig to see how the cobalts managed in my tight space on their side. (The brass wire is just for the test as it’s easier to form)
The flag was to measure the rise of the bar 

animated version

I subsequently moved the bend closer to the fulcrum and reduced the rise to 2mm

Edited by PaulRhB