HSB in the Süd Harz HOm - Calne April 2024.

PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Julia said:

Are those Fremo end plates you're using? 

:) No they’re my own design for my 009 modules (Freem009 loosely based on the standards for the HO US Freemo), I had a few spare and my system is narrower to better fit in at home. 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I’ve also fine tuned the over generous loops in the wire as I’d forgotten the foam mounting pads and it was perilously close to falling out of the tiebar in one direction. 
;)

F7612560-FF4E-4E3F-A2BB-28BFE38CAD92.jpeg.b348f8f1e4aca47f858046e2d26a3625.jpeg

To reduce the rise of the wire caused by side mounting like this you can just mount the motor at an angle by adding two layers of the sticky pad at the connector end! It doesn’t increase the overall depth due to the flange at the other end. 
85080F5C-0AB6-422B-B68E-A9ED5F8C082D.jpeg.1812a4009dc6c10c578d2d78d96af05e.jpeg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I’ve been given some new paints to try by a mate in the trade who’s looking at creating a model railway range. This is Montana G7270 Basalt and is a nice weathered brown. 

50385342568_f83c93338a_b.jpg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 11

Just seen this for the first time. Great work, and nice to see how you have tackled the end plates. I built several Freemo US HO modules, and that was the part I was never satisfied with.

This modular set up is also more or less what I'm intending for my next layout, but in HO with Japanese branch line railcars.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

And this afternoon’s entertainment was carving polystyrene with the Hotwire, with the window open!

HOm HSB modules

I ran out of room on the table so did the corner module in the kitchen, handy for snacks while terraforming :)

HOm HSB modules

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold
On 30/09/2020 at 18:06, Salmotrutta said:

Hence chocolate chip fudge instead of styrofoam?

I covered it with cookie dough . . 

sorry plaster! ;) and remembered to carve in the road to the loading dock. 

HOm HSB modules

and added a second thicker mix that was stippled to create the rocky cutting. 

HOm HSB modules

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Usually I clamp a bit of plywood to the end of a module to stop trains falling off the world but as I had some DR cast plates I mounted them on a wooden disc with a countersunk m6 bolt glued and trapped in. Just looks a bit better. 

HOm HSB modules

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Julia said:

Blimey you're quick! 

Well a lot is the leftovers from the main layout so I didn’t have to buy all the bits n pieces as I had plain track, cork, scenics and all the bolts and electrical bits. Basically all I needed was the points and motors plus a quick trip to B&Q ;) it also helps these boards are only 8” wide so the three modules have about the same footprint as a 4x2 baseboard. It makes it look bigger than it really is :) 

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Nearly there so I couldn’t resist a quick see what it looks like although there’s lots more detailing, foliage and staining to do. 

HOm HSB modules

and with a small drop in backscene 

HOm HSB

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 5
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

This schematic of the line shows how the new modules, in blue, relate to the main layout, in red, although I currently don’t plan to join them up . . .  yet ;)

50410679173_ed6a6726d2_b.jpg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 6