HSB in the Süd Harz HOm

PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold

7238 still on the bench. While much improved it's still got tight spots at very low speed making shunting look poor. I ran it upside down in the cradle and it was smooth but noticed the front axle jumping slightly. When I push it down into the springs it tightens up enough to cause the tightspot without enough torque to overcome it. Comparing the angles it appears it is ok but I took it out and the last problem has gone!

40811560404_c7035178bf_b.jpgSüd Harz HOm by -salisburyASC-

I tried to twist it but two problems it's virtually impossible to grip and then once I rigged it up the spokes bend rather than the wheel turning!

I've emailed Tillig to see if I can get a replacement.

So it appears there was something I never found in the gears that went when I cleaned them and this quartering which only became apparent once the rear three were running smoothly. I'm getting there at last so hopefully I can get a spare :)

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes both times I've contacted them by the website they've been very helpful and fast. It makes up for the two trips the loco made to the repair dept that didn't sort it!

Recommendation is if you have any issue talk to them via the website first and then send it back as I think the customer service department is a bit more switched on :)

• RMweb Premium

Hi, the info on signalling has been most useful and as a result I’m now working out how to signal my layout. One question if I may, can the Haltetafel Ne5 (the H sign) and the wartezeichen Ra11 (W board) go on the same pole? The situation where I need both is at the end of the station loop where the H is for trains to stop, and the W to allow a loco to pull forward so it can collect wagons from a siding.

I noticed somewhere what I think were fouling markers, these being a sort of short domed post at ground level with red and white markings.

As my layout is in G scale and I will need to stack the boards close together, my ‘signals’ will have to be removable. Hence I’ve just recieved some square brass tubing for sockets which will go in the baseboards, and some square brass section for the posts which will slot into the tubing. Great service from Eileens Emporium in supplying them.

• RMweb Gold

I've not seen the H and W on the same post but I don't see why not if the H is close to the points. I'm guessing here but generaly the W seems to be close to the fouling point while the H board can be a fair way back as the loops are quite long at some stations on the platform or by the water crane. I guess it's because the signal can be ahead of the points but the authority to foul the points needs to be from the W board.

• RMweb Gold

A start on weathering the stock that should have happened before NGS but work got in the way.

The wagons need some loads or scraps inside to add a bit of character.

post-6968-0-97531900-1524399939_thumb.jpg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

A few crates and other bits n pieces for the heritage freight wagons. The Harz forests can be a bit moist so I also added a bit of moss on the flat wagons where the decks remain damp with pooled water.

post-6968-0-73962700-1524507476_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

A few crates and other bits n pieces for the heritage freight wagons. The Harz forests can be a bit moist so I also added a bit of moss on the flat wagons where the decks remain damp with pooled water.

attachicon.gifIMG_4063.JPG

Are these going to form a photo freight service? Neat in any case!

• RMweb Gold

Yes one of the loco diagrams switches between the Walkenried local and the photo freight. I need to get one of the bogie opens and convert it by adding some benches for the photographers.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The bare hillside in Ian’s third pic is now covered in fir trees. The environment does change even in a forest!

It's a bit like the famous curve shot is disappearing as the trees grow up, in time no doubt the forestry will restore the view once the timber has matured ;)

• RMweb Premium

The bare hillside in Ian’s third pic is now covered in fir trees. The environment does change even in a forest!

I'm not sure how badly the Harz region was affected by the heavy pollution which was common in the GDR, but environmental protection measures may offer at least a partial explanation. Even today, numerous examples of unrefurbished housing with charming "GDR beige" façades exist in cities such as Leipzig.

• RMweb Gold

The HSB has undergone a lot of cosmetic investment in the post-DDR era. Compare this 2017 shot to Ian's from nearly 30 years before, showing the fine appearance of the station at Eisfelder Talmühle as well as the now gloriously-clad hillside! The lady in the purple gilet on the right was sharing a late honeymoon. No wonder she has her back to me!

post-4295-0-45571000-1524642835_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

A lot of the area is worked forestry and you often see swathes of stumps in photos so I guess a lot of it is the natural cycle of that. Acid rain tends to leave decimated but upright trees ;)

• RMweb Gold

Just as it may be of interest as to what I am doing, here is the basic method of operation used on the full layout. It’s meant to be relaxed and fun and on the first test that seemed to work as you only had one train to worry about. Much like Freemo it’s difficult to explain but very easy actually do.

The ‘sort of’ plan.

You will pickup a loco off shed and use this on all the trains on your diagram.

The loco diagrams are only a guide so crews follow a roughly realistic set of jobs. The idea is to create something moving most of the time but at a fairly relaxed overall pace. So if you want a quick drink etc after arriving that creates a nice pause while passengers etc load.

The three rules:

Before entering a single line section make sure you have the relevant token.

If a runround is in progress please wait at the Home Signal.

Please only use stock for your diagram, or others will find their train has gone missing!

​​​​​​​Got that? That's it :)

These are the diagrams issued to drivers, the schematic map on the back shows the route

27827165168_272c02353c_o.jpgSüd Harz HOm by -salisburyASC-

Diagrams 1 & 2

Generally these two diagrams should cross at Brunnenbachsmühle.

On arrival at Braunlage / Walkenried bring in the Shuttle on your diagram then runround. Depart the shuttle train again before your train departs.

When you swap your train please berth the previous stock in the appropriate sidings as your diagram indicates. Locos should return to shed at Braunlage or Walkenried, please do not leave them on trains in the sidings.

Diagram 3

Please don't use the direct line from Sorge to Walkenried, however tempting.

The goods diagram runs from Sorge to Braunlage first to reduce the amount of running round at Brunnenbachsmuhle.

The wagon cards tell you where each wagon runs between. Pick up the cards at Sorge and at each destination drop off any wagons for that location and turn over the wagon card, popping it in the box provided, so it’s ready for the return trip. Pick up the wagons and their cards and note destination(s).

Please berth the Goods / Mainline Passenger not in use at Sorge HSB not out at the Sud Harz stations.

Diagram 4

Mainly to relieve any of the others for a short drink or PNB.

Run the Brunnenbachsmuhle, Braunlage or Walkenried shuttles as you like if people are watching and the other operators are elsewhere.

This is the full map, in reality Sorge and Unterzorge/Zorge are the same station but are only seen behind the layout but it does mean I don't need to duplicate the railcar, when it arrives, to run two services ;)

39888781230_0d88837f57_o.jpgSüd Harz HOm by -salisburyASC-

So for a train you pick up your loco off shed and pick up the coaches.

35238191070_7ab77263e8_b.jpgSüd Harz HSB in HOm by -salisburyASC-

Then you wait for the passengers to load and get the single line authority which is the blue token, (this would be from Control in reality)

39495943490_2e6c8d2f38_b.jpgSüd Harz HOm NGSouth 2018 by -salisburyASC-

The barriers go down, the signal clears and off we go.

40591744244_09b69d0af9_b.jpgSüd Harz HOm NGSouth 2018 by -salisburyASC-

Once up to speed we can relax and enjoy the scenery

41305032601_0e70cb9368_b.jpgSüd Harz HOm NGSouth 2018 by -salisburyASC-

39495803060_d527fa1d26_b.jpgSüd Harz HOm NGSouth 2018 by -salisburyASC-

Approaching Brunnenbachsmühle we check the route is set for a clear line, we need track 1 or 2 for Walkenried.

39496022440_157db448ff_b.jpgSüd Harz HOm NGSouth 2018 by -salisburyASC-

26433153997_baa341fffc_b.jpgSüd Harz HOm NGSouth 2018 by -salisburyASC-

and we stop, return the single line Token and wait for the Local heading to Braunlage.

39495803230_e2988e1f06_b.jpgSüd Harz HOm NGSouth 2018 by -salisburyASC-

You just repeat that for each line section and when each part of the diagram is complete sort the stock for the next part and take that for its trip on the line.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Well what a fun morning!

this rather well packed wheelset arrived from Tillig and was rapidly installed to get a nice smooth start :)

26867619817_1e71033ff8_z.jpg by -salisburyASC-

so I ran it in and after 10 mins lumpiness happens followed by a stall.

Pick it up to find the way into the lower gearbox!!!!

41019436434_bbf77fbcd6_b.jpg by -salisburyASC-

the lower gearbox has popped open and the two sides pinged apart! The three wheel part fell off completely so I put it back together and carefully inserted it back around the middle axle, this is after doing that bit. It clips on front and back but beware the pickups to the front two drivers are on the front and motor wires on the back.

After a fair amount of blue language and great care I got it all back together but now the middle axle is one cog out, I can't stand that again straight away so I'll live with it for a bit. I think the root of all these problems is one side clip was obscured by flash and the gearbox case has been opening up allowing the middle axle to move too much causing the tightness. When it was behaving only the front quartering caused problems but sorting that seems to have caused enough force to ping it right off.

It rather trashed the pickups so now running in again after much fiddling with those.

It runs slowly at last!!!!!!!

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 2