HSB in the Süd Harz HOm

PaulRhB

Looking at that I think Tillig would have been better looking at some of their "heritage" stock from Zeuke and Berliner-Bahn days and following their examples. After experiencing a Bemo gear chain in a kit I never want to have to deal with one again! Putting the "gear" along the top of the chassis with each axle mounted underneath makes far more sense and is easier to change axle spacings and axle numbers very easily...

• RMweb Premium

I'm getting a feeling Tillig may eventually hire you as an external QA contractor, Paul! They might well consider a more sturdy method of attaching the gearbox cover as my impression is that the clips they use aren't really sufficient…

Did I understand your description right in that the cog on the centre axle can now slide off the gear wheels and leave it out of sync?

• RMweb Gold

It seems to be jumping out but I really can't figure out why. After another reassembly it ran well for a bit but if I run it either way into a left hand curve it gets lumpy and when I take it off the centre axle of the rear three is very tight. If you slide it back and forth it frees up and it all starts again! I'm mystified as it's not quartering as it will go smoothly right up until a left curve! It ran twenty minutes in circles beautifully going with the curve to the right, in direction of travel, but stutters and seizes as soon as it goes left yet there is power to the motor as it 'sings' with a high pitch sound. Wiggle that axle and it's fine. It seems to be trying to climb out and I can't see why it binds, it has to be the position of the axle as it moves to the right as it goes into the curve but why in both directions as the axle must go effectively the opposite way when I turn the loco round.

It doesn't make sense why only left curves in direction of travel whichever way round it is.

Edited by PaulRhB

• RMweb Premium

It sounds like there may be forces at work which were either not foreseen when the model was designed, or like some component being outside production tolerances and thus causing such forces. Given how much you have tried yet, I can't really think of much else which may be more obvious.

• RMweb Gold

It's unique to this one though as the other two run fine, 247 needed better pickups but this one it's mechanical and I just can't see the cause. If it was when the axle moved the same way It would suggest something skewed I can't see but it's opposite sides for each direction and only one direction in each. I'm wondering if I restrict it to the centre if it will stop it and still have enough play for my curves as they are bigger radii.

• RMweb Premium

Perhaps worth a try before you attempt anything more radical, such as (I suppose) exchanging the entire chassis block as a last resort. Did Tillig mention any other possible causes they might be able to think of from their end? Certainly seems odd that this issue appears only under rather specific circumstances!

• RMweb Gold

Now tried that and it doesn't run either way after a couple of laps, just stutters and seizes up on left or right curves now. I've contacted the helpful chap at Tillig with photos but he's away for a week.

Something must be skewed. I've tried removing gears in case it's fighting quartering, swapping axles and disconnecting the rods and it still runs ok then this fault starts and that's it. Something is either moving or has just one tight spot that disappears when you dismantle the damn thing.

• RMweb Gold

Hi DM yes I've done all those, cleaned all the gears out and checked them. The only fault I can see disappearing like this is one of the gears is split but only opening up under some random set of positions of the others.

I've sorted lots of locos over the years but never know it go and return like this without something noticeably loose.

I've tried everything I can think of and a friend who builds a lot of locos and we just can't find a pattern to it. I even tried running the top gearbox on its own to see if it's that pressing down but it seems fine.

I'm stumped so all I can see is a new lower chassis to remove all the wheels and gears as it has to be one or two of them.

I've got a circuit of that track on the living room table and an S curve section too.

Edited by PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold

Paul

Thanks for letting me run my loco yesterday.

A very nice layout and look forward to seeing the rest of the modules in the flesh.

I now need to get another sound decoder for my 2nd Harz loco purchased yesterday. This could get expensive!

post-1557-0-15902000-1525065848_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I noticed that there is no NEM box in this loco box either so maybe it's only in some. Not an issue as the coach ones fit.

I do need to fit loco crew and passengers but as it's DR the coaches will not need that many.

I also ha e a couple of old fiddleyard boards recently rescued from Mum's old house that I didn't realise were still I the loft so just need new boards for a scenic area.

• RMweb Gold

Odd they seem to be missing from both locos. Mine definitely had them from the box.

Getting the passengers in is very easy, the roofs click off with gentle pressure under a corner with a fingernail. Also make weathering them easier.

Edited by PaulRhB

I noticed that there is no NEM box in this loco box either so maybe it's only in some. Not an issue as the coach ones fit.

I do need to fit loco crew and passengers but as it's DR the coaches will not need that many.

I also ha e a couple of old fiddleyard boards recently rescued from Mum's old house that I didn't realise were still I the loft so just need new boards for a scenic area.

Are those DR coaches a new release of Tillig?

• RMweb Gold

No there are three options for DR. The 'modern' coaches were released in DR from the start in 2013, see page one of this thread, and then the older coaches with the tighter radius on the edges of the roof were introduced in green and red/cream about two years ago. You can pick up the DR modern coaches for £5-10 less in Germany than the HSB liveried versions so I guess they are less popular.

Edited by PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold

They must be waiting a new batch as they were selling them off slightly cheaper than the HSB ones a few months back at Modelbahnshoplippe. I've got four I rarely use but as a result have swapped the chassis on two of them with the Faust and TilligToyFair specials to get the better detailed chassis. They are the emergency backup set ;)