PaulRhB

HSB in the Süd Harz HOm - Braunlage to Walkenried.

Go on, build some more. Make a superb layout even better.

• Funny 1

After the WiFi issue at Warley I decided to introduce the same redundancy, that the wired throttles give the operation, to the points if I was to lose WiFi between the tablets used as Control panels and the command station. Fortunately the tablets held up under the assault this time ;) 

The cobalts have the contacts for push switches so I’ve wired up 27 and mounted them in some 3mm mdf. Now I just need to drill some holes along the back in line with each point so they will be recessed out of the way but easily available if needed. 

F9D46AC5-4D03-416D-B9CE-FE563AC11E00.jpeg.738a47a9c09b105d9580fd0af3bda233.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Working on the basis that if my large digits fit I made a series of 16mm holes and there’s now a line of these along the back of the layout!

C965E67B-DB7C-40CA-8706-F57BED294E66.jpeg.c14c2c7c78532eca1015f3030cd53794.jpeg

And 27 pairs of red wire snaking their way to the contacts on the cobalts :) 

Prepping it all takes longer than the installation. 

A308423E-15C9-45D2-95BE-5F3C2492AEFD.jpeg.db3b36c12bb6a045ca2c0070008f7f03.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I know just the person you really require to test them!

I didn't notice at Warley but doyou also have track diagrams with turnout numbers on the back of the layout?  We have the diagrams just in case the touch screen gives us grief so that the throttles can be used to change thetturnouts.

There are laminated diagrams with turnout numbers in the box but I they aren't permanently fixed as they would then make it too busy as I already have the Magent locations, Whistle boards and loco identification sheets on the back :) Basically if the tablet fails the laminated diagram replaces them on the small tables I use behind the layout.

• Like 1

Paul

I think this is a marvellous layout and for me it totally evokes the Harz region and those marvellous trains. I was not able ti get to Warley but I wonder where you might be taking it next year so I can watch it and be transported back to happy days spent on the system. Thank you and very well done sir.

Martin Long

• Thanks 1

Nothing currently booked for the whole layout in 20 but should be at Wimborne in March 21 and provisional invites for 22 & 23.

I’ll post any confirmations in the first post of the thread. Had a load of interest at Warley but that doesn’t always translate into invites ;) 

• Like 1

Can't believe I've only just caught up with this thread.. what a great layout!

• Thanks 1