Kernow Model Rail Shop

37pits

Hi everyone,

I’ve been checking the May madness offers and a few days back spotted the Hornby Virgin MK3’s at £19.99. A full WCML virgin rake has been tempting me for a while, especially from watching YouTube videos from the early 2000’s. I ordered a full set plus DVT and Buffett which were less than RRP and along with free postage and the extra £1 off per coach Kernow offer made this a great purchase. Service was superb as normal. Trevor phoned as one item was out of stock and asked if I was fine to wait until it was in which I was and today a well packed box arrived with my order packed by Greg.  Having had to get an item in from Hornby then send out to me I’m amazed at how quick this was achieved in. Well done and thanks to the team at Kernow.

Mark

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Ordered 3x Bachmann Porthole coaches online on June 7th, delivered today 12th June to my home in Western Australia!! Excellent service from Kernow, thank you ladies and gentlemen.

Hi to you Emma, I'll send you some sun in December!!

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

They definitely need to sort out their website: I checked it yesterday before setting off on a 110-mile round trip. I googled "Kernow Model Centre Guildford" and clicked on the link "Guildford - Kernow model Centre" which I assumed - wrongly, it turned out - that this would take me to ... well, Kernow Model Centre Guildford. Turns out that what's on the website is the main shop. None of the things I wanted that the website said they had were in stock, and the staff couldn't answer basic questions. I was looking to buy everything for a layout in one go - stock, track, scenics, buildings - and would have spent hundreds. But after the wasted trip I'm disinclined to ever spend at Kernow again - especially not after having spoken to Derails today - now there's service! 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, Daddyman said:

They definitely need to sort out their website: I checked it yesterday before setting off on a 110-mile round trip. I googled "Kernow Model Centre Guildford" and clicked on the link "Guildford - Kernow model Centre" which I assumed - wrongly, it turned out - that this would take me to ... well, Kernow Model Centre Guildford. Turns out that what's on the website is the main shop. None of the things I wanted that the website said they had were in stock, and the staff couldn't answer basic questions. I was looking to buy everything for a layout in one go - stock, track, scenics, buildings - and would have spent hundreds. But after the wasted trip I'm disinclined to ever spend at Kernow again - especially not after having spoken to Derails today - now there's service! 

I think that’s unfair and unnecessarily offensive. Throwing a petulant hissy fit helps no one. And I have good things to say about Derails too .Yes it’s as good as Kernow...which IMHO is pretty much as good as it gets.So don’t compare.

Why did you rely entirely on a website ? There is life beyond cyberspace believe it or not so be old fashioned for a change.Pick up a phone and ask.before you start your journey.Saves a lot of angst.

Maybe you perhaps need to “sort out” the way you approach their website ? As a customer since 2007 I have no problem with Kernow or their website or for that matter any employee of theirs. What on earth do you hope to achieve by posting this other than to irritate a lot of people? 

• Like 1
  • Agree 9

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

I think that’s unfair and unnecessarily offensive. Throwing a petulant hissy fit helps no one. And I have good things to say about Derails too .Yes it’s as good as Kernow...which IMHO is pretty much as good as it gets.So don’t compare.

Why did you rely entirely on a website ? There is life beyond cyberspace believe it or not so be old fashioned for a change.Pick up a phone and ask.before you start your journey.Saves a lot of angst.

Maybe you perhaps need to “sort out” the way you approach their website ? As a customer since 2007 I have no problem with Kernow or their website or for that matter any employee of theirs. What on earth do you hope to achieve by posting this other than to irritate a lot of people? 

Go on then - I'll dignify that with an answer. 

Why post it? To make people aware of the disconnect between the website and the shop stock, so they don't waste a journey. I thought that was obvious.

If my post had the added benefit of provoking a hissy fit (to borrow a phrase) in you then that's a benefit I hadn't foreseen... 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Daddyman said:

Go on then - I'll dignify that with an answer. 

Why post it? To make people aware of the disconnect between the website and the shop stock, so they don't waste a journey. I thought that was obvious.

If my post had the added benefit of provoking a hissy fit (to borrow a phrase) in you then that's a benefit I hadn't foreseen... 

Ah no..bit more than that I think.Constructed I a manner designed to cause offence.Which it does.

2 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

You can't contact the Guildford shop directly - by phone or email.  You end up at the Camborne shop, then they will phone Guildford for you and call you back.  An entirely unnecessary and complex waste of time, which I mentioned following my initial visit a few pages back.

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, Daddyman said:

It has been made abundantly clear from the outset that all on-line activity remains based at Cambourne - to expect everything listed on-line to be available off-the-shelf at Guildford is unrealistic.

A phone call or e-mail to Kernow would have established what could be supplied at Guildford - any shortfall could have been supplied by post;  within a day, judging by my experience.

It makes no sense for two outlets of a business to have independent web-sites - you pay for them, in the long run.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Ah no..bit more than that I think.Constructed I a manner designed to cause offence.Which it does.

Thats harsh. I think the OP deserves a bit more sympathy. There’s nothing more dissapointing than going on a long journey for something and then realising it was a complete waste of time as the shop doesn’t stock what you want. I would know as it’s happened to me many times. There are a number of so-called ‘well stocked shops’ that are in fact not very well stocked. To be fair though, in my experience Kernow are normally very well stocked.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RJS1977 said:

One thing I did notice on their website is that although the shop opening hours are given on the home page, the addresses of the two shops aren't....

There is information at http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/pg/165/Guildford

However, it is not an unreasonable expectation to be able to contact the Guildford shop directly - which you can't.

5 hours ago, cctransuk said:

A phone call or e-mail to Kernow would have established what could be supplied at Guildford - any shortfall could have been supplied by post;  within a day, judging by my experience.

… so you might as well just do mail order and not bother to visit the actual shop, rendering the Guildford shop entirely pointless.  Or use another shop's mail order facilities with next day where available.

I'm not aware of any other physical model shop that you can visit, where you can't phone ahead directly and see if they have what you require in stock.  I'm quite sure that many of us prefer to support local shops where we can rather than doing mail order, and  this whole thing seems counterproductive.  

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, cromptonnut said:

I'm not aware of any other physical model shop that you can visit, where you can't phone ahead directly and see if they have what you require in stock.  I'm quite sure that many of us prefer to support local shops where we can rather than doing mail order, and  this whole thing seems counterproductive.

Perhaps that's because very few model shops have a second branch so this isn't an issue. Kernow have presumably decided to funnel all calls through one place so they don't have staff in the shop on the phone when they can be looking after customers. Lots of chain businesses do the same - try ringing the local branch of your bank.

I'd be surprised if many people bother ringing ahead anyway. We are talking about model railway supplies NOT lifesaving medication. Something being out of stock is merely frustrating and there are other options, which I'm sure you are offered when they call you back.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, cctransuk said:

It has been made abundantly clear from the outset that all on-line activity remains based at Cambourne - to expect everything listed on-line to be available off-the-shelf at Guildford is unrealistic.

It makes no sense for two outlets of a business to have independent web-sites - you pay for them, in the long run.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

A point well (and civilly) made - thanks. However, where has it been made abundantly clear? Did I miss it on the website? Ot is a customer expected to read the 15 pages of this thread to find it out? 

• RMweb Gold

Maybe there is potential ( maybe there is already a plan) to show the stock levels for both stores on each item.

Primarily though the website is its own store, which also reflected the stock levels at Camborne. 

Maybe the addition of the Guilford store is still being adjusted to.

Edited by Stubby47
  • Agree 1

• Moderators
20 hours ago, Daddyman said:

10 hours ago, cromptonnut said:

However, it is not an unreasonable expectation to be able to contact the Guildford shop directly - which you can't.

… so you might as well just do mail order and not bother to visit the actual shop, rendering the Guildford shop entirely pointless. 

I know Kernow have been trying to sort with their telecomms provider the option to be put through to Guildford as part of the menu system but it is taking far longer than they would like to resolve that. However, it is possible to speak to the main number in Camborne who can tell you if items are in stock at Guildford or connect you for other queries.

Their website sales are serviced from Camborne of course and website availability shouldn't necessarily be taken as a guarantee that something is on the shelf at either store, particularly if there's a delay from checking online to walking in the store as someone could have just walked into either shop and bought significant amounts. With that proviso, Kernow aim to have the same stock available on shelves at both stores.

They have a policy of asking customers if they need any help when they are browsing and aim to answer questions although some answers may not be obtainable from personal knowledge, catalogues, websites or the pack if the manufacturer hasn't given it.

They also have the facility to review in-store cameras to see if any staff haven't been able to assist a customer.

If you want to go to the shop and make significant purchases its wise to make a call to avoid disappointment.

The Guildford store certainly isn't pointless but it's key purpose is to serve personal walk-in customers in addition to the online business and the shop in Camborne.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, AY Mod said:

The Guildford store certainly isn't pointless but it's key purpose is to serve personal walk-in customers in addition to the online business and the shop in Camborne.

Plenty of people on here say they prefer to see the goods before committing to buy, so a store in the populous Home Counties does seem to be well-targeted to meet such a demand. 

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Their website sales are serviced from Camborne of course

Thanks for this. But why "of course"? As I've said, google takes you to a link which says "Guildford - Kernow Model Rail Centre". There is no reason for a first-time visitor to think they are not on the Guildford site. 

With that proviso, Kernow aim to have the same stock available on shelves at both stores.

What evidence do you have for this claim? It's clear from having been to the shop that the miniscule amount of space dedicated to 009 is not enough to accommodate the 009 items on the website. There is certainly no space dedicated to Bachmann 009 RTR nor to Bachmann 009 buildings - and never has been; it's not simply that those spaces were empty - they don't exist. 

They also have the facility to review in-store cameras to see if any staff haven't been able to assist a customer.

Well, that's just downright creepy! I now feel sorry for the staff that I was previously only frustrated with. 

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, Daddyman said:

But why "of course"?

Because it's been explained before when the shop opened.

13 minutes ago, Daddyman said:

What evidence do you have for this claim? 

Because I've asked the question and I saw the stock on opening day. If they happened to be out of stock at that shop on that day they won't be on the shelves.

16 minutes ago, Daddyman said:

Well, that's just downright creepy

It's helped management see that the staff criticised had indeed tried to assist.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Because it's been explained before when the shop opened.

Because I've asked the question and I saw the stock on opening day. If they happened to be out of stock at that shop on that day they won't be on the shelves.

It's helped management see that the staff criticised had indeed tried to assist.

I'm afraid I'm not spending any more of my time on Kernow. I've made my point, and people can decide for themselves if they think customers should have to attend the open day to know that the website does not reflect shop stock; they can decide if they think that Bachmann's entire 009 range has coincidentally sold out at once and all sign of it wiped from the shelves, even though where Peco 009 was sold out there were clear spaces on the shelves. 

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Daddyman said:

I'm afraid I'm not spending any more of my time on Kernow. I've made my point, and people can decide for themselves if they think customers should have to attend the open day to know that the website does not reflect shop stock; they can decide if they think that Bachmann's entire 009 range has coincidentally sold out at once and all sign of it wiped from the shelves, even though where Peco 009 was sold out there were clear spaces on the shelves. 

I know a number of stores (not all model railway) which have more stock on their website than is available in the shop. This is because the website orders are not dealt with at the shop but at a warehouse (until they moved I think that was the case with Hattons). I agree it would be nice to look at a website and know that it reflected the stock level in the shop at that time but it is very rearly the case. If you are travelling a long distance then a phone call will always give a far more accurate indication of if something is in stock.

• Agree 1

On 24/06/2019 at 17:50, Daddyman said:

If you are crazy enough to travel 55 miles to a shop without phoning to, a) check whats in stock and b) reserve it, then more fool you. 

As has been said above, even if the website was bang up to date and accurate with stock levels, what you are after could all be sold out by the time you get there.  If you don't reserve it in advance, then you have absolutely no grounds to complain.  This is a very unfair attack on Kernow, whom I've only shopped with twice, mail order, and been very happy with.

Well, to be honest, I have driven similar distances (or longer) to get to a well stocked hobby shop just to see what it may have that would catch my eye.  I usually end up spending more than originally planned as I find a whole lot of things I never knew I needed until I saw them.  From what I can tell a trip to Kernow's would be one of those type of trips.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1