Kernow Model Rail Shop

37pits

• Moderators
12 hours ago, Daddyman said:

I'm afraid I'm not spending any more of my time on Kernow. I've made my point, and people can decide for themselves if they think customers should have to attend the open day to know that the website does not reflect shop stock; they can decide if they think that Bachmann's entire 009 range has coincidentally sold out at once and all sign of it wiped from the shelves, even though where Peco 009 was sold out there were clear spaces on the shelves. 

Most of last year's 009 releases will have sold out anyway, most Bachmann 009 that you will see on their website is for forthcoming releases http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/c/1346/Steam-Locomotives. They only have one 009 building in stock at present http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/43363/44-0016-WSL-Bachmann-Scenecraft-Narrow-Gauge-Station and stock of this is being sent to Guildford. So the website does reflect what's available in the shops.

Anyway, I don't expect you'll show any reasonable or pragmatic approach to events.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

On ‎25‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 06:44, Daddyman said:

A point well (and civilly) made - thanks. However, where has it been made abundantly clear? Did I miss it on the website? Ot is a customer expected to read the 15 pages of this thread to find it out? 

No just think and ring the store and ask you know -- like the old days when you spoke to people asked questions and did not bang off on every7 forum going if you had a " bad" experience 

Edited by 40F
  • Agree 2

On ‎29‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 08:58, 40F said:

No just think and ring the store and ask you know

That's the whole point - you can't ring Guildford, you have to ring Camborne where they will call Guildford, get your information and call you back.  You cannot speak directly to the Guildford store. 

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, cromptonnut said:

That's the whole point - you can't ring Guildford, you have to ring Camborne where they will call Guildford, get your information and call you back.  You cannot speak directly to the Guildford store

It does beg the question why bother to have a shop in Guilford.

I also did not realise that this was the case

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cromptonnut said:

That's the whole point - you can't ring Guildford, you have to ring Camborne where they will call Guildford, get your information and call you back.  You cannot speak directly to the Guildford store. 

If that's the way they want to do it, are we so impatient that we cannot wait a few minutes for a response? This 'I WANT IT NOW' attitude is getting out of hand!

By having to phone Cambourne for availability, Kernow have the opportunity to say "No, it's not in stock at Guildford, but we can supply it to you by mail order".

Good business practice.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Agree 10

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, cromptonnut said:

It's surely better to wait a few minutes for a return phone call,

than waste a lot more minutes driving to the shop to find

they don't  have what you want.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

We have a new set of busses running from Truro to Penzance,  to St Ives, to Newquay and to Falmouth.

Most of these have a similar 'Cornish' phrase on the back.

https://images.app.goo.gl/tFHPZfy696i82P9h9

If 'tis a Cornish bus, 'e wunt run to the timetable.

'E 'll get there jreckly!!!

Edited by rab
Capitalisation of Cornwall. Don't want to upset the homeland.
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On Wednesday, June 26, 2019 at 07:54, RedgateModels said:

Patience of a Saint that Andy York .......

Or those of a monk if his new avatar is anything to by............'God bless ewe my son.............'

Rob. 

• Funny 2

On ‎30‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 12:23, cromptonnut said:

AY Mod covered this before

"I know Kernow have been trying to sort with their telecomms provider the option to be put through to Guildford as part of the menu system but it is taking far longer than they would like to resolve that. However, it is possible to speak to the main number in Camborne who can tell you if items are in stock at Guildford or connect you for other queries."

• Like 1

Well I made it to the Guildford shop today, after recovering from surgery at the beginning of May, which grounded me until very recently.

I have to say that I expected the shop to be larger and buzzing with punters, but at the time (about 11 am ish) it was just me to have a wander. My quest was to buy some Parkside PA 34 coupling mounts. When I asked if they were in stock, they didn't know, but I found two packs almost buried underneath other stock. One pack was enough, so I also bought some card glue and a pack of Kadees, not on my list, but useful additions, nonetheless. 

I suppose after the hype of the big opening, a quieter time maybe a relief for them. It will be interesting to see how they are fairing in a year from now, but I can understand why folk have issues with their location, parking limitations etc. Good luck to them anyway, I hope they survive, but I won't be racing back there anytime soon. Shame really, but there it is.

Tod

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

18 hours ago, Ed-farms said:

AY Mod covered this before

"I know Kernow have been trying to sort with their telecomms provider the option to be put through to Guildford as part of the menu system but it is taking far longer than they would like to resolve that. However, it is possible to speak to the main number in Camborne who can tell you if items are in stock at Guildford or connect you for other queries."

So if they are trying to arrange to be transferred to Guildford by ringing the Camborne number and choosing an option … why not just give out the Guildford number directly? 

8 hours ago, SweenyTod1 said:

I can understand why folk have issues with their location, parking limitations etc.

Previously it was a bike shop.  Most of their customers probably cycled to and/or from the shop.  

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, cromptonnut said:

Previously it was a bike shop.  Most of their customers probably cycled to and/or from the shop.  

I think we are all well aware of that! A 50 mile round trip on a bike, would make me even less inclined to visit it, but yesterday I went to Guildford for another reason and the opportunity to find the shop was an easy diversion on my way home. I was lucky to find a convenient place to park, due to the time of day.

Tod

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, SweenyTod1 said:

I was lucky to find a convenient place to park, due to the time of day.

There's plenty of parking on side streets close by if you're visiting for less than two hours - just make sure it's not a permit holders only space.

• Informative/Useful 2

I called in yesterday on the way to the Guildford MES gala at Stoke Park. Not too difficult to find from the station, and having a layout in the window (which neither Alton nor Addlestone do) certainly helped! As I entered, there were three or four teenage girls sat in the doorway - no parents present so I guess they were probably connected to the shop somehow. As to the shop itself - it's a model shop. Apart from the window display, no worse or better than Alton or Addlestone. I picked up a couple of things I was after (a point and some rail joiners) but I don't buy much (new) rolling stock these days as current prices have all but ruled out impulse purchases for me. Nothing I particularly wanted in the scenics line either - I looked at some tufts of static grass (Gaugemaster/Noch £9.99 for 40 IIRC which I felt compared poorly for value with PECO's at £5 for 100 - not stocked). Some of the arrangement of the shop seemed strange - PECO items seemed to be spit between at least three different parts of the shop. (I had a look in the loco cabinet at the back and saw the Bachmann (£147) and Hornby 66s (£69) side by side and quite frankly couldn't see any difference visually). The guy behind the counter told me business had been steady but not spectacular and I do wonder if its relative proximity to Alton and Addlestone is working against it.

Would I go again? I wouldn't make a special trip from Reading but I would probably call in if I happened to be over that side of Guildford again.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1