Kernow Model Rail Shop

37pits

Placed an order with Kernow over their website late on 13 January 2010, received e-mail on 14 January that order had been despatched, good old royal mail delivered on 15 January 2010. Well done & thanks for superb all round service :icon_thumbsup2:

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Previous comments HERE; I thought there had been more on the new board but apparently not. No commercial connection here, just a very satisfied long-term customer and friend of the owner.

• 2 months later...

I was passing by Camborne on Wednesday. It felt silly not to call in, take a look and say hello.

Nice shop. Surprised that they have crammed so much in to such a small space (I guess I'm spoiled!)

Introduced myself to Chris and had a nice conversation about various aspects of the model trade. I also met a fellow RMWebber, Michael Ven Den Hof (59004) on holiday from the Netherlands.

Its good to see the shop and faces behind such a well respected establishment and see if I can learn from them where I can improve my own enterprise.

Yes I did buy something...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Always a very helpful bunch of people - last year I ordered a 'Grange' on special offer and arranged to collect it at the Plymouth show; respect is due to any organisation that can make sure they remember a single item like that when packing a stand's worth for a show.

They're always helpful on the 'phone and Chris is a good lad (and I'm not just saying that because I was his boss in a former life) - he left fairly secure employment to follow his idea and it's good to see him succeeding.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Our first contact with Kernow was to pre-order a DEMU Thumper with Sound. We like looking at there newsletter and last Saturday was tempted with there Limited Edtion Vi-Trains class 37-417 @ £29-99. What a Bargain. Within 30 mins of ordering via the web site, we got an email saying ready for despatch. It was sent out on Monday and had just arrived here today (tues), so thank to Samantha for getting it away so quickly.

We like the look of the loco and will test it and run it in later today.

We will keep an eye out for bargains like this one again.

Thanks again to Sam and those at Kernow for getting the loco away and to Royal Mail for delivery..

• RMweb Premium
so thank to Samantha for getting it away so quickly.

I'm told she's known as "The Manageress" ;) Though who ever deals with your order they are always equally as efficient. Most of my parcels come with a cheerful "Thanks again - Greg" note on the receipt.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

At lunchtime today I ordered some OO gauge stuff from Kernow and (as I'm having a dabble in O gauge) added a Slaters O gauge wagon kit at the end of the order.

Within 30 minutes of placing my order the phone rang and it was a lady (presumambly Sam mentioned above) calling to confirm that I had in fact ordered an O gauge item with the OO gauge stuff - she was worried that I may have ordered the O gauge wagon by mistake having meant to order an OO gauge one.

Confirmed that I did, in fact, want an O gauge kit, we exchanged pleasantries and I thanked her for going to the trouble of phoning to confirm the order. That's service for you!! Well done Kernow :)

Keith

• 4 weeks later...
Guest 30-something

Hi Folks

Placed my first order with Kernow yesterday, delivered today. Great service, very efficient at answering emails, may be switching alligence!!!

Recommended!

No connection just a very satisfied customer.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Bodmin to Camborne is about 45 minutes by car. It's about the same by train as well but first you would need to get to Bodmin Parkway station. By road it is 35 miles around half of it on near-motorway standard trunk road and most of the rest on good single-lane A-road

From Bodmin head towards the A30 Bodmin by-pass (join at either Innis Downs via Lockengate or at Carminnow Cross south of Bodmin General station) and follow the A30 west to the "Camborne East / Tuckingmill / Tolvaddon" exit. Follow signs into Camborne by turning right at Tuckingmill and as you approach it might be easiest to park in Tesco's car park. Kernow MRC is in Trelowarren Street which is the main shopping street but is one-way against you and tricky to navigate into. Cross over to enter Trelowarren Street almost opposite Tesco's car park and the shop is a few yards down on the left hand side.

Is it worth it?

Since you are asking in a model railway forum : most definitely.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, I'm in Bodmin on Monday and Tuesday, just out of interest what is the distance & time to get to Kernow Model Rail Shop?, and is it worth the journey from Bodmin ?

Yours in anticipation

Craig.

Hi Craig,

Even if it's going out of you way....

or

taking time you had planned for something else....

It's definately worth the time!

Thanks

Thanks for the info Gents, II shall endeavour to make time to visit, the reason I ask is it worth it, is because I have gone to places in the past, then took time out to visit certain model shops only to be very disappointed with the stock levels held by the shop.

Rails was a prime example, I was in Sheffield, found the shop but I could not believe how poor the stock levels were at the time, it was a good job it was not a special journey just the shop alone, obviously Rails are more into the Mail order side.

• RMweb Premium

Kernow's stock system is live and linked to the shop till as well. That means if it says "In stock" it is in stock unlike some other retailers. What Kernow's system doesn't show (which is available on one or two other shop sites) is how many of an item might be in stock.

On my several visits the place has been stacked floor to (almost) ceiling with stock and I am sure the back rooms not open to the public are equally well stocked with more items to replace those on the shelves as soon as they are sold. If you need something special or a sizeable quantity of anything try calling them first to make sure they have what you require.

They are also justifiably well-known for their outstanding customer service as well.

I don't think a visit will disappoint. They haven't got to the position they hold (arguably among the top 3 of UK retailers) by poorly managing an empty shop!

....... Cross over to enter Trelowarren Street almost opposite Tesco's car park

and the shop is a few yards down on the right hand side.

TIC - I think it will be easier seen if you look on the LEFT hand side as you walk down from Tesco's car park..... :rolleyes:

It has a Red ediface (and Yellow I think)

• 4 weeks later...

i have recently had my first experience of dealing with Kernow. They had a special offer on Dapol's Central Trains 156 (motorised - dummy packs), which was far too tempting. Their service was fantastic, and the package amply protected with bubble wrap and a nice study Bachmann cardboard box.

• RMweb Premium

You normally can, Dave, but it's not so easy to direct a "furriner" around to there when approaching from Tuckingmill. Tesco's is easier in that direction if you don't know Camborne's confuse-a-car system B)

I normally find (midweek, I call in on my way to our factory in Redruth) I can park in the road just about directly outside of the shop.

I find I need more than the 30 minutes limited waiting in that area (to visit Kernow Models - and I'm not a RTR modeller :P ),

it's 2 hours in Tesco's car park and 2 mins walk each way.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Now that Kernow have taken over the distribution of Model Rail Limited edition stuff, I must say that the service is 1st Class! Ordered Sunday night, arrived in the North West Tuesday.

Cheers,

Mick

• 2 weeks later...