Kernow Model Rail Shop

37pits

• RMweb Premium

'fraid not.  Not at this stage.  But they are available now and might not be in five years time when I need them so two boxes (four cottages as they are paired) are heading this way for stock held against a future need.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've just got back to the holiday cottage after a visit to Kernow Model Centre. (Well done to Mrs KDG for booking said cottage within 20 minutes drive)

By far the best model railway shop I've been in in years packed to the ceiling. Parked right outside the front door. Helpful staff too, bought loads of gear, will now shop here whenever I can either in person or on line.

Edit for spelling.

Edited by KDG
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

I've been trying to contact Kernow Model Shop for a few days days but am getting no reply to my on line web inquiry.  Can someone please send me their email address.   I am wanting to email them a computer generated  parts list for track, from my CAD program,  so that I can get a quote from them. There's no email address that I can see on their web site,  and I'm overseas and phoning them is awkward and expensive.

I've been trying to contact Kernow Model Shop for a few days days but am getting no reply to my on line web inquiry.  Can someone please send me their email address.   I am wanting to email them a computer generated  parts list for track, from my CAD program,  so that I can get a quote from them. There's no email address that I can see on their web site,  and I'm overseas and phoning them is awkward and expensive.

Try sales@kernowmodelrailcentre.com .

• RMweb Premium

Kernow MRC are quite competitive and have a fair number of Australian customers. They are no stranger therefore to larger orders and to breaking those into several smaller parcels if it reduces the shipping costs.

I've always been very happy with Kernow's customer service, but even I was taken aback when a coach I ordered on-line after lunch yesterday arrived at my home this morning. Quite outstanding, especially when you consider it came by standard Royal Mail service. Other retailers could learn a lesson from them.

• Like 1

I've always been very happy with Kernow's customer service, but even I was taken aback when a coach I ordered on-line after lunch yesterday arrived at my home this morning. Quite outstanding, especially when you consider it came by standard Royal Mail service. Other retailers could learn a lesson from them.

I have  dealt  with Kernow  for  many  years,  placing  orders  anytime up to around  mid  afternoon, my orders  usually  being  shipped  by RMail and   just  paying the standard £4  or in  the case of  orders   over £150  getting  free  delivery. I have  never  known  any order  not  t  be delivered  next  day  usually  by  9-00 AM

Also  worth adding  every order  gains  loyalty points  which can  quickly add up to a  useful extra discount

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Also  worth adding  every order  gains  loyalty points  which can  quickly add up to a  useful extra discount

Only for UK residents.

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve hesitated to post this comment before now, but I am concerned at the way Kernow is doing business at the moment.  Let me say at the outset that Kernow is one of the best model railway businesses that I know, and I greatly enjoy their excellent service and wonderful limited editions. However, they seem to have taken on more than they have the physical and financial resources to manage at the moment. 

I usually ask Kernow not to refund payment on anything I buy from them, as it avoids duplication of my bank’s international transactions charges. I was therefore more than ready to respond to their request for early payment for the Gate Stock. I have also paid for the Bullied diesel and the GWR 1361.  I have my Gate Stock, and they are great.  However I understand that Kernow is still despatching Gate Stock pre-orders, which is holding up the Bullieds. Furthermore Kernow has not received the full initial shipment of the Bullieds. The 1361s have been held over in China, with no explanation.  In the meantime they have had a surprise shipment of clay hoppers.

I may be unduly nervous, but I have been caught out before.  I paid in full for an Australian prototype model from a small Australian concern, only to have the business collapse before delivery, leaving me AUD 500+ out of pocket.  I just hope that Kernow’s present position is short term, and that they can sort out both their inventory management and cash flow issues before any damage is done.

I just hope that Kernow’s present position is short term, and that they can sort out both their inventory management and cash flow issues before any damage is done.

I think it fair to say Kernow are okay financially and wont be going anywhere soon, yes they have had some issues with the Chinese playing 'guess whats in the container' but they are getting on top of the problems.

I have never had anything other than fantastic service from Kernow on quite a few orders over the years.

I think it fair to say Kernow are okay financially and wont be going anywhere soon.

So good to hear. Service from Kernow has been great over the years for me too.  I'll try to stop being a Nervous Nellie! :scared: 

Kymn

I live close to Kernow and when I popped in last week they were incredibly busy with both processing limited edition models as well as the Christmas build up. They are very well managed business and any fears that you may have are unfounded.

• Like 1

....any fears that you may have are unfounded.

They are.  I just received a despatch email for my Bullied. I shall return to my previous state of mind, which was to be seriously impressed with what this little business is capable of.

• RMweb Premium

Kymn

I live close to Kernow and when I popped in last week they were incredibly busy with both processing limited edition models as well as the Christmas build up. They are very well managed business and any fears that you may have are unfounded.

I will support and endorse that comment whole-heartedly. 

The precise timing of arrivals from China is not within the control of Kernow MRC. Some of the items just received have been awaited for years, some for months and others have no doubt been "in the works" but only recently announced.  In an ideal world no business would receive multiple large deliveries more or less on top of each other and with a surprise or two thrown in there as well.

Kernow MRC is a small business in the scheme of things but has the ability to staff-up (to a modest extent dictated as much by space in the shop as anything) when they get really busy.  They are also one of the fastest at turning around advance orders despite having very limited space for packing.

I can understand the concern of someone living in Australia, having been once-bitten and lost money, and not perhaps being aware of the reality in Camborne.  But please be assured this business has been developed carefully by a very astute managing director who has earned a great deal of respect for the thoroughly professional manner in which he runs that business and I do not believe you - or indeed anyone - has any cause for concern in terms of it disappearing with your money.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I will support and endorse that comment whole-heartedly. 

The precise timing of arrivals from China is not within the control of Kernow MRC. Some of the items just received have been awaited for years, some for months and others have no doubt been "in the works" but only recently announced.  In an ideal world no business would receive multiple large deliveries more or less on top of each other and with a surprise or two thrown in there as well.

Kernow MRC is a small business in the scheme of things but has the ability to staff-up (to a modest extent dictated as much by space in the shop as anything) when they get really busy.  They are also one of the fastest at turning around advance orders despite having very limited space for packing.

I can understand the concern of someone living in Australia, having been once-bitten and lost money, and not perhaps being aware of the reality in Camborne.  But please be assured this business has been developed carefully by a very astute managing director who has earned a great deal of respect for the thoroughly professional manner in which he runs that business and I do not believe you - or indeed anyone - has any cause for concern in terms of it disappearing with your money.

That said, they still seem to take quite a bit of my money...

Living in the USA, it's always a challenge buying from "offshore".

I have always had great service from Kernow and they are my first choice. Since my "details are on file", I have never had a problem sending an email with my order stating "the usual address and credit card". That resolves the whole pre-order credit card round trip. For example with the Gate Stock. When I heard of the funding issue, I shot them an email stating they should go ahead and charge my card. Which they did promptly. And shipped and received in due order. 

When the engine shed had the first pictures of the SECR H, I knew I had to have one. A quick email to Kernow got me an order. And it was promptly shipped when they were released.

I also deal with a certain establishment that used to be on Smithdown Rd, Liverpool, but usually only to take advantage of "bargains" and "Pre-owned"

Of course, I am feverishly awaiting the "Bullied"...

• Like 1

I can understand the concern of someone living in Australia, having been once-bitten and lost money, and not perhaps being aware of the reality in Camborne.  

I have been dealing with Kernow over a number of years and even from this distance I have every respect for Chris, his people and their professionalism. My concerns were along the lines that a company director would be asking management, given the events of the last few weeks - fully expecting that management was on top of them. It hasn't stopped me spending money there.  I placed a couple of orders with Kernow last night Camborne time. The goods were despatched first thing in the morning (their time). Absolutely brilliant service, as always.  

• Like 1

I have to say how pleased I am with my dealings with Kernow. I pre-ordered and now received two sets of their gate stock and they and their service are the best I've experienced. It's a shame that not all similar firms treat their customers so well (see my post in this Model shop section). So a BIG thank you to Kernow, keep up the good work.

Tod

• 3 weeks later...