Kernow Model Rail Shop

37pits

• RMweb Gold

Those following the D600 (class 41) thread will be aware that those of us with pre-orders will be receiving emails advising how the new price is to be "mitigated" (their word) as the original can, unsurprisingly, no longer be honoured.  I won't go into the terms here as they may differ between customers but suffice to say I am more than happy with the offer I received and the order for the entire fleet stands.  Quick, friendly exchange of emails and a result perhaps a little better than I had anticipated.  Given that the new price is outside KMRC's control they are as always doing a sterling job of communicating with their customers and providing timely information.  Which is more than can be said for some other retailers.

tbh, the upward revised price for the D600 is pretty much on a par with other D&E models, as the recent Hornby announcement has shown, so I'll not be put off putting an order in either, .

all the best,

Keith

• RMweb Premium

My email hasn't arrived yet but I know roughly what it will say and I've already told Kernow that whichever way I go on their offer my order for two D6XX remains in place.

My email hasn't come yet either but given that a 600 is pretty well essential for a 1950s Cornish layout my order will stand as well.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ordered a couple of items last weekend the same time as a couple from Liverpool, the Kernow parcel turned up Tues and the other one only came today so impressed with delivery turnaround.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Order some of Kernow's 7 special offers yesterday afternoon - the arrived this morning.. super service.

Blimey, your postal service is excellent too.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know how the Kernow pre order system works?

I've ordered a Bullied diesel and the money has been removed from my account, do Kernow keep hold of it or refund and request at a later date.

I have the gate stock and road van on previous order but no money was taken previously.

I think I read something before but can't find it at the moment and have looked through Kernow's website but again can't see anything.

Thanks

Nik

Edited by Spannerman

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone know how the Kernow pre order system works?

I've ordered a Bullied diesel and the money has been removed from my account, do Kernow keep hold of it or refund and request at a later date.

I have the gate stock and road van on previous order but no money was taken previously.

I think I read something before but can't find it at the moment and have looked through Kernow's website but again can't see anything.

Thanks

Nik

Look first at your account details online.If nothing shows there....and it doesn't always....use the email contact form on Kernow's website with your query or give them a ring.I had a query about an order on Thursday which was answered within the hour and that immediately put my mind at rest.Greg is the person who answered my questions.

• RMweb Premium

Money gets taken from your account then refunded in 2-3 days if the item is not going to be in stock very shortly. 

You have the option of asking for no "refund" (technically I believe it's called a charge-back because you still end up paying for and receiving the item) and paying in full at the time of ordering.

That option exists largely for the benefit of overseas customers who might incur hefty bank charges through currency conversion not once but three times.  Local to Sterling, Sterling back to local and local back to Sterling again.  I once calculated that an order charged-back like this would cost me an extra £9 for a £50 order and have since then opted to pay in full in advance or await items arriving in the shop.  

The system is a requirement of their cybertill operator and not of their own making.   They are aware that it has a potential to disadvantage overseas customers which is why they offer the pay-now option.

• RMweb Gold

...and as I've mentioned before charging the amount immediately and giving a refund is a real pita if use a Barclaycard Visa credit card where you pay your bill upto 50 days later. It does not happen if you use a debit card

Barclaycard policy is to credit the refund to your card account immediately and appears on the statement for that current months transactions so the amount charged for that months transactions is reduced by the amount of the refund.

The amount original amount debited (which has already been refunded) is then charged to your bank the following month so if you don't monitor your bank account carefully you may have spent the refund before you get to pay for it.

The only way round this for pre-orders is to order directly from Kernow by email or over the phone and not through the website. The only problem with this is that non-website orders don't get added by Kernow to your list of orders on the website.

Keith

• 1 month later...

...and as I've mentioned before charging the amount immediately and giving a refund is a real pita if use a Barclaycard Visa credit card where you pay your bill upto 50 days later. It does not happen if you use a debit card

Barclaycard policy is to credit the refund to your card account immediately and appears on the statement for that current months transactions so the amount charged for that months transactions is reduced by the amount of the refund.

The amount original amount debited (which has already been refunded) is then charged to your bank the following month so if you don't monitor your bank account carefully you may have spent the refund before you get to pay for it.

The only way round this for pre-orders is to order directly from Kernow by email or over the phone and not through the website. The only problem with this is that non-website orders don't get added by Kernow to your list of orders on the website.

Keith

Surely, you know if you have placed an on-line order with Kernow - so you wait until your Visa payment date and then make an additional manual payment to Visa of the amount creditted?

Simples !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Excellent service from Kernow and the courier.

Ordered just before 3 PM yeaterday and arrived at 7:40 this morning. Good job there are early risers in this house. :)

Jason

I'd second that, two locos ordered 10pm Tuesday, both here 9am Thursday.

• RMweb Premium

Didn't I spot a familiar face complete with red fleece sporting a KMRC logo about to be interviewed as part of the BBC's election campaign coverage earlier in the week...? TV was on in the office but the sound turned right down.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Until now almost all of my orders have gone to Australia. Friday afternoon saw my first substantial order placed for delivery to the new London address. I found a couple of items in the weekly newsletter which will complement the collection nicely. I just managed to avoid adding another WC to the N and the E4.

As the value was above free next-working-day delivery threshold I selected that knowing that this would mean Monday delivery. I am in no rush.

Within five minutes I had emails confirming the order was packed and on its way. By Friday evening I had a text from the carrier confirming Monday morning delivery. At 7am :O today I received a further text stating my parcel would be delivered at 08.53. Very precise. And at 08.53 precisely there was a knock at the door.

Can't fault that at all.

• Like 1

Ordered a D1670 Mammoth limited edition yesterday (Tuesday). Here today (Wednesday) lunchtime by Royal Mail. Delighted with the model and very impressed with the service.

• 3 weeks later...

I ordered a Hornby Terrier and a packet of Kadee number 18s on Friday afternoon (07/07/2017).  I live in rural Bulgaria.  The Terrier is currently running round my running-in track and the Kadees have been added to my stock.  I am posting this on Tuesday 11th July 2017.  Again, a very impressive response to an order. Well done Kernow!  Thank you.

Edited by Richard Lee
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Dropped into the shop on Thursday and despite a hectic level of activity I managed a chat with some of the staff.  Wednesday's deliveries were piled high as far as could be seen from the public area.  The mail room was its usual quietly efficient self out the back.  And the shop floor had a constant stream of visitors most of whom exchanged drinking vouchers for various items off the shelves.  I even found myself offering some help to a chap who had very little idea about layouts and trains but was clearly under pressure from a young family member to produce a layout by the weekend!!!  Having gone through the basics of DC vs. DCC, scales, power supply etc. I left him in the capable hands of the shop staff to sort out what was needed.  He left with a large well-filled bag and a very appreciative vote of thanks to the staff.  Including the non-staff but quite helpful grey-bearded chap purchasing some Cornish cottages among other things ;)

It's Summer.  I dare say a few of us will be heading to Cornwall.  Why not pop in?  There's even free parking right outside.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Dropped into the shop on Thursday and despite a hectic level of activity I managed a chat with some of the staff.  Wednesday's deliveries were piled high as far as could be seen from the public area.  The mail room was its usual quietly efficient self out the back.  And the shop floor had a constant stream of visitors most of whom exchanged drinking vouchers for various items off the shelves.  I even found myself offering some help to a chap who had very little idea about layouts and trains but was clearly under pressure from a young family member to produce a layout by the weekend!!!  Having gone through the basics of DC vs. DCC, scales, power supply etc. I left him in the capable hands of the shop staff to sort out what was needed.  He left with a large well-filled bag and a very appreciative vote of thanks to the staff.  Including the non-staff but quite helpful grey-bearded chap purchasing some Cornish cottages among other things ;)

It's Summer.  I dare say a few of us will be heading to Cornwall.  Why not pop in?  There's even free parking right outside.

Cornish cottages Rick? Intriguing...

• RMweb Premium

OO scale I'm afraid.  Somewhat more affordable than the 12" : 1' scale ones.

Understood, I've seen them on the KMRC website. I just wondered whether they were the germ of a new project.

• Like 1