Hornby D16/3

Downer

The T26/E4 has a boiler top that stands only 9'10" at peak, 39.3mm. So even dropping the mechanism 3mm with 22mm drivers (for 5'6" maximum wear condition) resulting in a 40mm peak over the motor, is probably too much of a compromise, as raising the boiler will really affect the appearance; and especially so in original GER low roof condition. There's a lovely colour pic of 7490 at Cambridge, gleaming in its smart lined black with the appropriately scaled Mildenhall branch coaches behind. This train stands alongside a Gresley 61'6" buffet - almost certainly the 'Beer train' stock - making the loco look very petite, and the branch train coaches appear to be HO scale EpII German secondary stock, Now there's a thought...

The T26/E4 has a boiler top that stands only 9'10" at peak, 39.3mm. So even dropping the mechanism 3mm with 22mm drivers (for 5'6" maximum wear condition) resulting in a 40mm peak over the motor, is probably too much of a compromise, as raising the boiler will really affect the appearance; and especially so in original GER low roof condition. There's a lovely colour pic of 7490 at Cambridge, gleaming in its smart lined black with the appropriately scaled Mildenhall branch coaches behind. This train stands alongside a Gresley 61'6" buffet - almost certainly the 'Beer train' stock - making the loco look very petite, and the branch train coaches appear to be HO scale EpII German secondary stock, Now there's a thought...

I agree.  I took your point about the height of the motor with regard to the Claud and the T19; I did not make myself clear.

I was simply pondering on what might be used as a chassis for a T26.  I don't know of anything on the market with anything even close to that wheel diameter and spacing.

I am content with a good old No.1 Class for GE through services on Castle Aching.  If I progress to a GE layout, I would want to add a T19, T26 and Claud (and a brace of Y14s, which, I assume, can be jacked out of the Hornby J15).  Of these, I really only see the T26 as a major problem for an RTR conversion.  How touchingly naïve of me!

The useful candidate is the Adams 0415. 5'8" wheel, 8'6" wb, small parallel boiler pitched at 7' centreline. That's going to be useful in so very many ways, once some cheap s/h starts to come to market.

Of course, I should have thought of that.  I believe that it could also be the basis of a "Steamroller", a LSW 4-4-0 with solid bogie wheels! 

Thanks

James

• Like 1

Guest Midland Mole

My tablet does not take fantastic pictures, but here is my newly-arrived apple-green "Claud Hamilton" (and my first post here).

That loco looks really nice, shame it is the wrong region for me. :(

- Alex

Edited by Midland Mole
  • Like 1

Mine arrived here in Austria direct from Hornby yesterday.  A superb model but the numbers and LNER lettering seems wrong.  Comparing the model with the picture of "Frederick the Great" on P83 of vol 14 of Yeadon, the lettering is block not shaded.

My tablet does not take fantastic pictures, but here is my newly-arrived apple-green "Claud Hamilton" (and my first post here).

• RMweb Premium

Mine arrived here in Austria direct from Hornby yesterday.  A superb model but the numbers and LNER lettering seems wrong.  Comparing the model with the picture of "Frederick the Great" on P83 of vol 14 of Yeadon, the lettering is block not shaded.

Have you been unlucky and received a defective model?  The ones in the photographs on Hattons and Rails web sites have shaded lettering; very nice they look, too!

• RMweb Premium

A D16 called Frederick The Great ? The only D16 named was Claud Hamilton.

Well, there it is on Page 83 of Yeadon's as Geoff says - 8900 "Frederick the Great"!

Re-reading his post and looking at the photo in Yeadon's, I'm not sure whether Geoff is saying the real loco had unshaded lettering and the model is incorrect in having shaded lettering (I initially read it the other way)?  If so I think it could be an illusion in that the black & white photo in Yeadon's doesn't really show the shading on the real loco (due to photographic limitations of the time), but I'm sure the shading would have been there on the real engine, as it is on the D16 models shown in post 507 above, and Hattons and Rails web sites.

Well, there it is on Page 83 of Yeadon's as Geoff says - 8900 "Frederick the Great"!

Re-reading his post and looking at the photo in Yeadon's, I'm not sure whether Geoff is saying the real loco had unshaded lettering and the model is incorrect in having shaded lettering (I initially read it the other way)?  If so I think it could be an illusion in that the black & white photo in Yeadon's doesn't really show the shading on the real loco (due to photographic limitations of the time), but I'm sure the shading would have been there on the real engine, as it is on the D16 models shown in post 507 above, and Hattons and Rails web sites.

Further to JW's post the LNER liked doing one offs for birthdays and other events, never seen the D16 book .

LNER pre war shaded letters and numbers in Gold and Yellow . Post war most were unshaded Gills Sans Yellow lettering only.

http://www.lner.info/locos/D/d14d15d16.php

I seriously do not think that the Hornby D16/3 will make a good starting point for a T26/E4 : http://fhsw.wikia.com/wiki/T26E4_%22Super_Pershing%22

In reply to the livery query, the link below contains an image of "Claud Hamilton" in 1937.

https://chasewaterstuff.wordpress.com/2012/12/27/steam-locomotives-of-a-more-leisurely-era-1900-claud-hamiltons-great-eastern-railway/

Though not the best quality, it shows the loco in much the same state as Hornby's model, complete with shaded numerals and lettering, albeit maybe a little finer.

As for my model, I ran it with a train of (anachronistic) Thompson suburban "teaks" for about 2 hours on the Model Railway Club's test track last night. It performed beautifully and I am very pleased with it.

I had already purchased an LNER black Claud last year but was eager to get this example. It wears a similar livery to the loco shown in my avatar, a painting by my father of a "Royal Claud" (one of the versions with a decorative valance). The protype also provided me with my RMWeb nom de plume, and in my opinion is a particularly handsome engine, perfectly proportioned.

It is a great shame none were preserved: an MRC member explained to me that one had been marked for preservation at Stratford, but on one side only and the scrap team approached from the other side...

The group building a new one have started work on the buffer beam.

http://www.claudhamiltonlocomotivegroup.co.uk/blogger-feed

• Like 2

In reply to the livery query, the link below contains an image of "Claud Hamilton" in 1937.

https://chasewaterstuff.wordpress.com/2012/12/27/steam-locomotives-of-a-more-leisurely-era-1900-claud-hamiltons-great-eastern-railway/

Though not the best quality, it shows the loco in much the same state as Hornby's model, complete with shaded numerals and lettering, albeit maybe a little finer.

As for my model, I ran it with a train of (anachronistic) Thompson suburban "teaks" for about 2 hours on the Model Railway Club's test track last night. It performed beautifully and I am very pleased with it.

I had already purchased an LNER black Claud last year but was eager to get this example. It wears a similar livery to the loco shown in my avatar, a painting by my father of a "Royal Claud" (one of the versions with a decorative valance). The protype also provided me with my RMWeb nom de plume, and in my opinion is a particularly handsome engine, perfectly proportioned.

It is a great shame none were preserved: an MRC member explained to me that one had been marked for preservation at Stratford, but on one side only and the scrap team approached from the other side...

The group building a new one have started work on the buffer beam.

http://www.claudhamiltonlocomotivegroup.co.uk/blogger-feed

Yes, the comments are probably correct about the photographic limitations of the time.  A more intensive look at the photo under a magniifying glass would seem to indicate that the lettering is shaded and not block as I thought.  Glad that Hornby and all of you are correct. Certainly the picture taken in 1937 (4 years after rebuilding has shaded lettering) .  Yes, the LNER did seem to have a penchant for one-off names that never went into Service, like the A4s that were "renamed" during the war.  The Hornby model, with its add-on extras is a super model - shame about the lack of a screw link coupling on the front.  Lets wait and see what variants will appear in 2017 - perhaps a "2614" in apple-green or a "62614" with the early BR logo and in apple-green.

• Like 3

Yes, the comments are probably correct about the photographic limitations of the time.  A more intensive look at the photo under a magniifying glass would seem to indicate that the lettering is shaded and not block as I thought.  Glad that Hornby and all of you are correct. Certainly the picture taken in 1937 (4 years after rebuilding has shaded lettering) .  Yes, the LNER did seem to have a penchant for one-off names that never went into Service, like the A4s that were "renamed" during the war.  The Hornby model, with its add-on extras is a super model - shame about the lack of a screw link coupling on the front.  Lets wait and see what variants will appear in 2017 - perhaps a "2614" in apple-green or a "62614" with the early BR logo and in apple-green.

In trying to ascertain whether Hornby were correct in their livery I learnt a lot more, which is always good (and one of the great things about this hobby), and so very much appreciate your query.

Another, much better photo of "8900" can be found here:

https://railway-photography.smugmug.com/LNERSteam/Holden-Locomotives/James-Holden-Tender-engines/Holden-Claud-Hamilton-Class-D1/i-j7k5Kqn/A

I think "62614" is a highly likely choice for Hornby and would, I think, be very popular in that livery. I was shown a lovely (if weather-beaten) 0-gauge model of it (or very similar) at the Model Railway Club yesterday, it used to run on the now-retired "Happisburgh" layout. I'll endeavour to take a picture and post it here.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I'm sorry, RussellD, but when I clicked on the link, no photo' could be seen. Can you check the link to make sure it is correct please. Thank you.

Regards,

Rob.

It says in his post after the link, you have to search for it.

Considering this locomotive in apple-green, but I have been put-off by some of the pictures on the Rails site, crooked piping, poor application of black and white lining... Those who have actually purchased this locomotive, could you please comment on the overall quality in performance and finish. In which factory has this item been produced? Thanks in advance.

• RMweb Gold

Considering this locomotive in apple-green, but I have been put-off by some of the pictures on the Rails site, crooked piping, poor application of black and white lining... Those who have actually purchased this locomotive, could you please comment on the overall quality in performance and finish. In which factory has this item been produced? Thanks in advance.

Thank you for that.You are not alone in being put off by those images.From those it appears to present a frankly crude finish,particularly with the mounting of the nameplate.It is not unique in Rails images.A number of recently released Hornby models seem to suffer from this blight,notably the new A4 in black.Note the poor mounting of one of the cab windows.Not exactly a good way of promoting sales ?

Is this a demo of sloppy qc or just Rails having a talent for picking a wrong 'un,because there are other examples ? Maybe the close camera work is cruelly unflattering and perhaps unfair.Either way,it doesn't do the models any favours.

Thank you for that.You are not alone in being put off by those images.From those it appears to present a frankly crude finish,particularly with the mounting of the nameplate.It is not unique in Rails images.A number of recently released Hornby models seem to suffer from this blight,notably the new A4 in black.Note the poor mounting of one of the cab windows.Not exactly a good way of promoting sales ?

Is this a demo of sloppy qc or just Rails having a talent for picking a wrong 'un,because there are other examples ? Maybe the close camera work is cruelly unflattering and perhaps unfair.Either way,it doesn't do the models any favours.

This one ?

https://railsofsheffield.com/search/search-results.aspx?searchTerm=claud+hamilton

I have seen a lot lot worse , Pump lining is  poor and Vacumn return pipe with a slight sag. 

I have had mine for a couple of days and it runbs perfectly, quiet and smooth, hauls six coaches without any problem.  Visually it is a superb model, the lining in sharp & crisp and even the glass windshields behind the front window are fitted.  The most obvious visual problem is the frequent Hornby problem of the loco number on the cab and the "LNER" on the tender not lining up. In all the photographs I have seen these are at the same level although prersumably there would have been some difference between a full and an enmpty tender (similar problem with the three lines on the SR MN & WC tenders).  Are the loco and tender made separately and not checked before they are put in the box in China?