Going Dutch

Jon Gwinnett

One or two lines need their ends trimmed to length ( they were left deliberately over length to avoid any gaps when finally laid) and the I need to think about wiring the feeds to the bus wires. Each piece of track has at least one feed directly connected to it, using the pre wired rail joiners, which while less effective than directly soldered feeds, are much easier to do!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Having had the layout running for a few weeks, had given me the opportunity to assess what it was like to operate (not in a serious way as such, more in terms of play value).

I concluded that the double track “exit stage right”  Didn’t really add anything, although it gave a longer runaround loop that was pointless as it was greater than the maximum train length, and with revising the offstage arrangements it wasn’t possible to assemble a train from all three sidings. 

So bearing in mind @Neil’s sage advice of “if in doubt, simplify” (I paraphrase, but that’s the general drift) I decided to lift the double track exit and replace it with a simple turnout. Nothing had been glued apart from the level crossing and that was fixed with UHU and lifted easily enough. I’m fortunate to have a model shop not too far away so they furnished the replacement track (as luck luck would have it I didn’t have a left hand medium point in the stash) and a pleasant hour of snipping and relaying ensued. Wiring followed my usual approach of making sure each piece of track was fed by at least one pair of fish plates wired to the main bus (in reality many pieces are fed both ends).

50179921122_68cde709ab_b.jpgTrackwork by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

50179921112_016d2cce43_b.jpgTrackwork by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

50179666516_57fef40593_b.jpgTrackwork by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

Edited by Jon Gwinnett
  • Like 5

• 1 year later...