Going Dutch

Jon Gwinnett

Yes, that's the stuff, but haven't found a supplier round here yet. I'll keep looking. I have the pink thick stuff, but the thinner stuff would be easier for this as I might, eventually, want to represent on of the water courses, which are quite close to the surface.

Cool, the grey/yellow with Railion branding hasn't appeared yet, but no bad thing as I need to save up!

Perhaps North Haston might suffer a double dutch takeover at Glasgow...

I think the Grey with railion patches is good too - hopefully, as you say, it will be a few more months before it's avaialble. I now have to find a home for my 2 Trix ones...

I don't know how Chris would take it if we were to start running Dutch... I could provide a MAK, 2 Spurts, 2 Syntus LINTS, a 2300....... over to you, Jon!

I'll probably be seeing him on Tuesday so I'll mention it to him! :sarcastic:

I agree with you re the Kadees. However, do you find that the NEM ones don't behave the same way as the US ones? I find that the NEM ones (that I use on all my UK and European stuff) tend occasionally, when over the magnet, to both go to the same side. I think this is because they swivel on the head as opposed to the whole unit like the US ones.

Still preferable though to the UK tension lock or the standard European hook and loop. :good:

• Like 1

?..do you find that the NEM ones don't behave the same way as the US ones? I find that the NEM ones (that I use on all my UK and European stuff) tend occasionally, when over the magnet, to both go to the same side. I think this is because they swivel on the head as opposed to the whole unit like the US ones.

Still preferable though to the UK tension lock or the standard European hook and loop. :good:

I don't use magnets as a rule, tending to use a twiddley skewer as my weapon of choice, but I agree the action of the nem version tends to be less reliable than the originals. It's a shame the nem version hasn't been tweaked in the same way as the smaller head US versions, but it's one case were something is very definitely better than nothing!

Weapon of choice:

Edited by Jon Gwinnett

Grey/yellow with red branding now in stock:

http://www.modellbahnshop-lippe.com/produkt/Rocky%252DRail/108-4-004001-214725-0-0-0-22-10-2-0-gatt-gb-h-0/produkt.html

(No connection other than a satisfied customer, etc...)

Jon - are you trying to get me to spend even more money?? It's a shame it wasn't there last week as I would probably have had it over the red one. Never mind - with any luck the proceeds from the CM article should be here in the next few weeks.....

• Like 1

It's arrived - and what a beauty! Thanks Jon for the initial post and pointing us in the right direction.

A couple of points - are the handrails really metal or a really hard plastic? I feel a good test is whether a material is cold to the touch especially (not that I make a habit of it!) to the tongue. This doesn't have a cold feel to it.

Also, there were no instructions so how do you get inside to fit a decoder? Any ideas?

No need to worry about the instructions. After posting above, I e-mailed Rocky Rail and recieved a reply with a pdf attachment 16 minutes later! I have to say I was expecting a couple of days at least!

So, not only are their models superb, their customer service is as well.

• Like 2

Have you seen the photo sequence on the Het Groterdaam site? It made it a doddle, points out some potential pitfalls as well:

http://www.hetgroterdamproject.nl/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1019:6480&catid=59:diversen&Itemid=120

Google translate is my friend...

Thanks for that pointer, Jon. I've just looked at it - yes, I agree, Google translate is my friend as well!

Started work on the first of two baseboards today, after having a bit of a tidy up in the loft. No photos as the pink foam and wood are pretty boring. Hit a slight snag when starting to assemble the second as the ply end boards are marginally too deep. Need to try and neatly take a quarter inch off along their length. Plane or tenon saw? Will try tomorrow.

Second board and legs done (and some more tidying up). I really don't enjoy woodwork, I'm no joiner that's for sure. Still need to source some thin sheet for backscene and facia, although I think the latter can wait until some of the scenic work has completed.

At least these are two plain flat boards, if I try to do one of the bridges I need to think it through more.

I've gone for a rail height of approx 4ft (the legs have adjustable feet) but this may prove too high when the backscene is added, although I expect to operate from the front so this may not be a problem.

• Like 1

With the boards more or less complete, thoughts turn to track and scenery.

This is the prototype:

post-7346-0-02643100-1391328654_thumb.jpg

Peco code 75 seems the obvious choice, especially given the difficulties the code 83 points give with NEM wheel sets. Also, the code 75 range includes a double slip, essential for the prototype.

Roco code 83 might be a viable alternative.

• Like 1

Need to build another set of legs this PM, timber acquired, plan is to use three sets of legs, with one board piggy backing on the other. All legs have adjustable feet (well alright, M8 bolts in captive T nuts). I think the current 48 inch track height is too high, so will probably cut the existing legs down to give a 45 inch track height. That way the boards are UK freemo compatible and would do double duty as a yard for any future US outline layout.

• Like 1

I didn't know that, fascinating history. I'm woefully ignorant of Dutch railway history and am really just superficially modelling what I see in the photos. The southern end of the yard looks to have been extensively rebuilt in recent years, the older arrangement with office etc might be more modelogenic.