Going Dutch

Jon Gwinnett

If I could stretch to another board, it might look like this. More balanced and more interesting visually?

post-7346-0-71391300-1391464127_thumb.jpg

Copyright 2013 Google, Image copyright 2014 Aerodata International Surveys

Apart from the loft space, (and the living room which is firmly out of bounds) I may struggle to erect a 12ft long layout, but it might be worth it?

In the long term, if it could be squeezed into the loft, the longer version would enable the two curving lines to be extended, adding industry or run for operational purposes.

• Like 1

Thanks to Contikits, the first of the moving backdrop wagons has arrived:

post-7346-0-85407300-1391636568_thumb.jpg

Mehano - Desperately needs weathering!

post-7346-0-11205200-1391636647_thumb.jpg

Detail printing is good, although the DBAG logo looks a little odd.

Some more plain ones of Fleischmann and Roco parentage are en route, one package is awaiting collection from our local DHL depot.

I don't know how to embed Flickr images, but clicking this link will take you to the real thing sitting up against the loading bank at Westhaven:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/heyst/3493788308/

I don't know Mr van Heyst, but his photo stream is a gold mine. Thank you sir!

• Like 1

Hi Jon,

Nice modern hoppers, if the DBAG logos bother you www.modellbahndecals.de took over the Rupert Kreye decal sets including DBAG logos (I've used the Kreye ones and they look nice).

Nick

Edited by doctor quinn

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

With the boards more or less complete, thoughts turn to track and scenery.

This is the prototype:

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Peco code 75 seems the obvious choice, especially given the difficulties the code 83 points give with NEM wheel sets. Also, the code 75 range includes a double slip, essential for the prototype.

Roco code 83 might be a viable alternative.

If I went 'european' (trying to avoid that temptation) I would use the Rocoline 10o turnouts.  I've seen a couple of layouts with them and they look really smart.  Conrad still stock them.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Dear Jon,

Apologies for the country cross-over, but for some reason saw this post on MRH, and thought of this "Going Dutch" thread?!?!?

http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/17523

Happy Modelling,
Aim to Improve,
Prof Klyzlr

PS when you say "moving backdrop", will the rake of hoppers actually be moving/shuttling?

Edited by Prof Klyzlr

I suspect that proves that Belgian beer and firefighting don't mix!

Apologies for the lack of updates, been distracted by life, the universe and BR North eastern Region. This is a timely reminder to get back on track (excuse the pun).

• 4 weeks later...

Ok! Reboot.

Slight change of plan, in that I'm veering towards a more self contained shunting layout, with some quayside running perhaps. Still Dutch, but maybe, just maybe, generic enough to showcase my German or US stock.

Struggling with a trackplan that doesn't slavishly copy one or other Haston (not that that would be a bad thing). Current idea follows:

post-7346-0-34540200-1399463144_thumb.jpg

Open to suggestions, in the photo the quayside would be to the left hand side.

Mindful of Nick's comments in his Boommeer article in CM I've mocked up using code 100 and yes there's a point missing. What is the collected wisdom on code 100 v code 75 for portable layouts?

Size 2.4m x .5m

• Like 1

Some proto inspiration:

8702842394_89918e5b45_b.jpg

IMG_2373-1 by Paul van Duin, on Flickr

11965731335_070ac9ffea_b.jpg

IMG_0972-1 by Paul van Duin, on Flickr

6606462895_46f52550e7_b.jpg

RTB V156 + Wadlopers, Waalhaven 28-12-2011 by Henk Zwoferink, on Flickr

14112980621_b6a69e4840_b.jpg

DBS6441+waterland-afvoertrein_Awhvw_05052014 by Dennis Koster, on Flickr

7639276306_9b3a68f1bf_b.jpg

IMG_4889-1 by Paul van Duin, on Flickr

Edited by Jon Gwinnett
  • Like 3

Hi Jon

Inspiring pics - thanks for digging them up.

I've used Peco code 75 on Industrivej, I soldered the one board joint to PCB as I usually do, mechanically it's not much more delicate than code 100 but looks much lighter.

The only issue I did find was wiring the 3 way point, because of reduced clearance near the point blade hinges I had to use a DPDT switch to change frog polarity and isolate the out of use blade.

I've not got around to the inlaid track - I'll let you know how that goes!

Hope this helps

Nick

Edited by doctor quinn

I've ordered some of Walthers street track inserts, I had a pack years ago but never got round to using them and cleared them out some time back. They're sized to fit Atlas code 83 so will make some of the decisions for me. However, I might use them for a US micro and do the work by hand on the Dutch plan.

My inlaid track parts are offered for experimentation if desired. Not quite like having Brian Harrap :superman: locally on the team, but OTOH these can be simply dropped in the post to even as far away places as Scotland.

Andy

Thanks Andy, I hadn't forgotten about them. But for now I'm still playing around on the floor with bits of set track trying to find inspiration.

Andy, I know your system copes with RP25 as well as P87 wheels, but would it work with the coarser NEM wheel sets on Euro stock?

Went to an assortment of big sheds today, only to find none of them with a timber saw in working order. Since experience has taught me I' m not good at cutting long straight (or parallel) lines I think it's worth getting someone else to do the work. Plan is to chop an 8x4 board into a series of 450mm wide sections, the idea being to use one for each base, with another forming the backscene, which in theory means two (or at a pinchthree) will fit across the backseat of the car.

Andy, I know your system copes with RP25 as well as P87 wheels, but would it work with the coarser NEM wheel sets on Euro stock?

If the wheels you use have (or are reset to) the same back to back, then they should work just fine. (search on youtube for "Easy Street mit" to see some independent track testing videos which include NEM wheels).

Probably good to weight the wagons more towards the heavy side. Note: I haven't got as far as trying coupling/uncoupling while on the paved rails. Remote should work, but physically hand touching very light weight wagons on shallow flange ways is not a good idea.

Andy

Edited by Andy Reichert