Farish Mk1 Sleepers

acg5324

• RMweb Premium

Looks like the Mk1 sleepers have landed my 2nd class sleepers have been packed at the Liverpool emporium.

Be interesting to see what bogies are fitted as the website photo still shows the OO pre-production model that has B1's.

Hope they have Commonwealth bogies

Andy

I'll just be interested to see some pics of the product Andy.  These are yet another reason for an excuse to evaporate for not modelling the Waverley route in 'N.'

Go on Chard - you know you want to :)

The Claytons are coming too.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Looks like the Mk1 sleepers have landed my 2nd class sleepers have been packed at the Liverpool emporium.

Be interesting to see what bogies are fitted as the website photo still shows the OO pre-production model that has B1's.

Hope they have Commonwealth bogies

Andy

Surely both blue/greys will have B4s like the OO version as per website? The OO maroon first has CWs and the second B1s on the site. The blue/grey seconds are on their way from Liverpool!

• RMweb Premium

Some very hurried pictures of the Sleeper E2575

Mk1 sleeper3

Mk1 sleeper5

Mk1 sleeper4

Mk1 sleeper1

Mk1 sleeper2

B5 bogies thankfully

It is quite weighty

The rather oversized footsteps on the end will need replacing otherwise a great model.

• RMweb Premium

Now the 'Nightcap Bar' can come into use! According to Keith Parkin, it (as the Hadrian Bar) was withdrawn from the Tees-Tyne Pullman in May 1969; he doesn't say when it went to the WCML; however, it appears it never ran again in umber and cream before being dual-heated and re-liveried for the LMR. A Dapol blue 86 up front for the moment before the Farish blue 87 arrives? Presumably 2x86 were needed to get the Scottish sleepers up Shap and Beattock?

Now the 'Nightcap Bar' can come into use! According to Keith Parkin, it (as the Hadrian Bar) was withdrawn from the Tees-Tyne Pullman in May 1969; he doesn't say when it went to the WCML; however, it appears it never ran again in umber and cream before being dual-heated and re-liveried for the LMR. A Dapol blue 86 up front for the moment before the Farish blue 87 arrives? Presumably 2x86 were needed to get the Scottish sleepers up Shap and Beattock?

Hallo,

Regarding the Nightcap Bar all I can find using Auntie Google is behind the link below - so 18th October 1970 according to this source.

http://www.emgauge70s.co.uk/proto_pullman.html

Any RMWebbers out there to aree or disagree?

guten Rutsch ins 2014

es gruesst

PC

I only travelled on LM sleepers after they went to Mk3a stock but I never had more than one loco on the front. The timings were very loose and unless the train was late they never exceeded 80mph on the twisty bits and sometimes trundled up Shap at 60mph. Most sleepers tended to have 86s but at least one I had got an 85.

I used to travel regularly on the MK1 sleepers during the middle 70s from London to Glasgow, Plymouth and Leeds (!). The service was friendly but very noisy as all railway workers seemed to whistle and shout loudly at every pause in the journey.

Having a nightcap was the only way to ensure any sleep.Travelling with a colleague to Glasgow one night in the Nightcap Bar we were surprised to be greeted so warmly by the attendant who greeted my colleague as if he was an old friend. It turned out that he was famous as being the only traveller to have ever bought everyone in the bar a drink (on his previous trip). Something he didn't remember! 

Good memories.

Gerry

Even the slightly less powerful AL1-AL5s would haul the Bristol/Glas/Edin sleeper trains of about 14-15 x Mk1 coaches in the late 70s single handedly up the banks no sweat.  Frankly it would great to see a Farish Class 85 up next as the icing on the cake here.  Things are starting to look good now for N gauge modellers of the early WCML - its just some attention to locos thats needed, oh and maybe some Motorail flats.

I look forward to seeing the new 87 liveries from Farish.  Those Virgin Red have been in the range far too long now........

The new farish Mk1 sleepers do look incredible - I struggle to take on board how far N gauge has come in recent years.  good to hear that the coaches have a nice bit of weight to them too.

I agree those end footsteps definitely need changing and I dare say somebody somewhere is already planning on releasing a nice set of etched versions - it was undoubtedly made oversize to allow less than careful handling by younger modellers and stop them being snapped off 5 minutes after coming out of the box.

why do farish BR coach bogies Mk1 and Mk2 look like upturned banana's along the main side frames?  Or is that just a trick of the camera?

also isnt it about time the rapido coupler was shrunk down?  it still looks very large.

Even the slightly less powerful AL1-AL5s would haul the Bristol/Glas/Edin sleeper trains of about 14-15 x Mk1 coaches in the late 70s single handedly up the banks no sweat.  Frankly it would great to see a Farish Class 85 up next as the icing on the cake here.  Things are starting to look good now for N gauge modellers of the early WCML - its just some attention to locos thats needed, oh and maybe some Motorail flats.

I look forward to seeing the new 87 liveries from Farish.  Those Virgin Red have been in the range far too long now........

The new farish Mk1 sleepers do look incredible - I struggle to take on board how far N gauge has come in recent years.  good to hear that the coaches have a nice bit of weight to them too.

I agree those end footsteps definitely need changing and I dare say somebody somewhere is already planning on releasing a nice set of etched versions - it was undoubtedly made oversize to allow less than careful handling by younger modellers and stop them being snapped off 5 minutes after coming out of the box.

why do farish BR coach bogies Mk1 and Mk2 look like upturned banana's along the main side frames?  Or is that just a trick of the camera?

also isnt it about time the rapido coupler was shrunk down?  it still looks very large.

Motorail flats are available as a kit here http://www.ultima-models.co.uk/catalogue/br-wagons.html

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Got my pair yesterday (one of each in maroon). Fantastic models, at the risk of being controversial well worth the £23 each I paid in my opinion.

I now have all the coaches I need to represent a shortened 1964 "Waverley" (seven instead of nine coaches).

Roy

• 2 weeks later...

Archived