Class 143 Arriva Trains Wales Project

charliepetty

BTW one small question about them- did the real ones ever have white painted dampers and brackets? Normally these when new are blue or red. I've never seen white ones (small point, easily resolved if not correct)

FGWs 143s are fitted with white dampers when they are overhauled at Bristol St Phillips Marsh.

Edited by royaloak

Thanks Royaloak. A mine of information as usual.

---

It is really tempting to bu one of these (when available) and repaint it back into its 'proper' colours of light blue, dark blue and a bit of white. But I've been advised (even by Mr P) that some glazing is well glued in and maybe not so easy to remove. Does anyone have any experience of this?

Well if you are saying that the colour is off, I assume that was based upon inspecting the model.

Every computer will display colour slightly different and that is without considering the way the photograph was taken.

Likewise, just an observation not a nit pick. But I think RT are pretty good at accuracy.

I don't know, have they been released yet ?

I'm just making an observation not a nit pick.

Great Western

Ok my perception via my iPad screen colour is that the model pictured under factory lighting APPEARS after looking at the real thing the other night with my own eyes which may or may not be defective was that colour looked a little light.

Also the red seating is incorrect for the unit I saw, there may well be units running round with red seats.......

However the FGW units looks spot on and very very desirable.

Great Western

Edited by Great Western

I know you were trying to undermine my quite valid point, but I have to say that your response did make me laugh.

Although my sense of humour may or may not also be defective. 

Ok my perception via my iPad screen colour is that the model pictured under factory lighting APPEARS after looking at the real thing the other night with my own eyes which may or may not be defective was that colour looked a little light.

Also the red seating is incorrect for the unit I saw, there may well be units running round with red seats.......

However the FGW units looks spot on and very very desirable.

Great Western

Edited by Derekstuart

• RMweb Premium

Some Arriva pacers still have red and green seats (the old Valley Lines colours). I don't think any have all red or all green - it's a mix. 

Most have greyish seats now.

For some reason the ones with grey seats usually seem to have red and green tip-up seats at the ends, and vice versa.

I have no idea why but I'm sure there's a reason.

Edited by Coryton

ahem, light grey dampers thank you - although they quickly weather down.

It is a very light grey though, anyway as you have stated,  it only takes a week or two of normal service to get them back to the normal 'rusty' colour.

Some Arriva pacers still have red and green seats (the old Valley Lines colours). I don't think any have all red or all green - it's a mix. 

Most have greyish seats now.

For some reason the ones with grey seats usually seem to have red and green tip-up seats at the ends, and vice versa.

I have no idea why but I'm sure there's a reason.

Memory serves that's correct yes, the old Red and Green valley line scheme that's right. As did the 150s did they ever have the red and green as per the pacers ?

Great Western

Memory serves that's correct yes, the old Red and Green valley line scheme that's right. As did the 150s did they ever have the red and green as per the pacers ?

Great Western

Very close, The Red / Green Interior was the same across both the Wales & Borders Valley Lines & Wessex Trains fleets as they were both refurbished alongside each other by the then Wales & West before the splitting of franchises had occurred.

150 Wise, they differed both internally - Wessex's were refurbished with a minimalist approach to colour with a mostly grey interior and Pink grabhandles while W&B Valley Lines were the same Red/Green pattern with green grabhandles. Both had the same refurbishment with the same Chapman seats installed. Exterior wise, while the Wessex Trains fleet were vinyled into the Maroon Pictorial Livery with pictures of the South West, the Valley Lines fleet received the same livery style but applied with one car in Green and the other in Red with South Wales based pictures on the side. Shame they were removed and replaced with corporate ATW.

Hope this helps, Here is a link to one of Martyn Read's pictures of 150280 slightly off patch at Exeter.

http://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/UKRailwayPics-2/Wales-and-Borders/i-RvBS22V/A

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Very close, The Red / Green Interior was the same across both the Wales & Borders Valley Lines & Wessex Trains fleets as they were both refurbished alongside each other by the then Wales & West before the splitting of franchises had occurred.

Are you sure?

Before the 'split', Valley Lines was a separate franchise to Wales and West (though both were owned by Prism/National Express).

I'm pretty sure the red and green (inside and out) was just Valley Lines.

After the franchise re-arrangement I don't think there was separate branding for the former Valley Lines services.

• 4 weeks later...