Llanfyllin Branch

4mm, and that is the first rendition of the Cattle Dock, shortly after this photo was taken I dropped the DSLR wiping out the Cattle wagon and part of the dock.

Big lesson learnt

Terry,

I hesitate to ask what you said! :no: :no: :no: :no:

But please keep the pictures coming,

Dave

I  hope you don't mind me posting these photos, taken near Carreghofa Halt on 15/2/1981.

This view is looking north to Blodwell Jcn on the PS&NWR branch from Llanymynech that was last used in about 1925, though it remained in situ for a while after that. The bridge abutment on the right is the first alignment of the Llanfyllin branch.

post-6748-0-89597500-1388352389_thumb.jpg

A similar view from the track bed. The cutting has now been filled in and the area landscaped.

post-6748-0-32759400-1388352569.jpg

Looking towards Llanymynech at the track bed of the first alignment Llanfyllin branch showing the gap for the bridge over the PS&NWR. In the background partly hidden by trees is a road that then crossed over the Llanfyllin branch. The patch of ground beyond the PS&NWR is now occupied by a bungalow.

post-6748-0-30392700-1388352868.jpg

Finally looking towards Carreghofa Halt from a point between the branch lines. The bridge in the background carries the canal and road over the track bed. Through the bridge went to Llanymynech, to the right to Llanfyllin and to the left to Blodwell Jcn.

post-6748-0-92985300-1388353073_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Terry,

That sounds a brilliant plan.  I assume that the buildings hardly changed over that period.  I have checked but is this a home layout?  If it is then no one will know anyway.  The only things that would give it away are the people and the vehicles.  If it is an exhibition layout it would just add to the interest, well to a lot of people.

It is a home layout, however, I have been asked to exhibit. I have never exhibited before so am very nervous about that. The railway has had very little work done in the past 12 months due to family illness. I hope to get my mojo back and get stuck into this again.

I am currently building a high level chassis for 5816, then I need to get back to work on the track ensuring all runs well

• RMweb Gold

Terry,

I hope the family problems are sorted out.  Any chance of pictures of the layout?

I hope the exhbition goes well.  I assume that it is local to you so I am afraid I will not be able to come and see it.

Some photos taken on the branch, starting with some of Llanfechain station taken 18/5/2008 while it was being renovated.

post-6748-0-02871500-1393017975.jpg

Looking from the road entrance, an extension was being built on the left hand end

post-6748-0-86008300-1393018069.jpg

post-6748-0-32275400-1393018092.jpg

post-6748-0-18005000-1393018141.jpg

Looking towards Llanfyllin from the overbridge.

Near Llanfechain is a road bridge that the map in the Middleton Press book "Branch Lines Around Oswestry" identifies as Pont Parry. Next 4 photos taken 1/11/2007.

post-6748-0-25372700-1393018845.jpg

Nearby was a bridge over the branch

post-6748-0-44003600-1393018904.jpg

The Llanymynech side

post-6748-0-54068100-1393018976.jpg

Road level

post-6748-0-99506800-1393019053.jpg

Looking from the bridge towards Llanymynech.

Remains of the bridge over the River Tanat, between Carreghofa and Llansantffraid

post-6748-0-99469200-1393019395_thumb.jpg

This was only part of the bridge and just above the water level can be seen the remains of the wooden trestle it replaced, taken 6/10/2007

A view, taken 25/8/2008 of the rest of the bridge looking towards Llansantffraid.

post-6748-0-37867700-1393019675.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Terry,

That sounds a brilliant plan.  I assume that the buildings hardly changed over that period.  I have checked but is this a home layout?  If it is then no one will know anyway.  The only things that would give it away are the people and the vehicles.  If it is an exhibition layout it would just add to the interest, well to a lot of people.

One dodge for keeping figures/vehicle in period, that I got from Tom Knapp who uses it on his Nn3 layout, is to fit all vehicles and people with pins on the foot or vehicle base. Sink correspondingly sized tube into the places where they are wanted.  The pins hold them upright and in position.

To change the period just lift off and replace.

Mark Austin

• Like 1

I did have an idea about a B Set, painted on one side in GWR Livery and on the other in BR Maroon, thus saving buying two sets..............

The colour of the roof could be a problem viz white for GWR and grey for BR. However, I do use this dodge for lettering and numbering my 0 Gauge wagons and vans.

The colour of the roof could be a problem viz white for GWR and grey for BR. However, I do use this dodge for lettering and numbering my 0 Gauge wagons and vans.

IIRC the GWR switched to grey for roofs during WW2. I am pretty sure the post-war "Hawksworth" coach livery had grey roofs although I think it was a darker shade than used by BR.

Still, with a bit of weathering, anything is possible. ;)

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hornby has just released the LMS suburban coaches in BR livery. I have found photographic evidence of a brake third, M21137M, at Llanfyllin. Assuming this was part of a 2 coach train does anyone know of any other ex-LMS suburban coaches that worked the branch? Would it be an all 3rd or a composite?

Alan

• 1 month later...

Hornby has just released the LMS suburban coaches in BR livery. I have found photographic evidence of a brake third, M21137M, at Llanfyllin. Assuming this was part of a 2 coach train does anyone know of any other ex-LMS suburban coaches that worked the branch? Would it be an all 3rd or a composite?

Alan

Apologies for late reply, is thatvthe photo by the signal box with the Ivatt running round. Could that cosch have been added to the usual b set to add extra seats eg on market da

• Like 1