Llanfyllin Branch

• RMweb Premium

It is the photograph by the signal box. Looking at other photographs on the branch and at Oswestry the B sets were replaced by ex-LMS, BR and ex-LNER non-corridor coaching stock in the latter years of the branch.

• 5 months later...

Any idea what type of BR Mk1 coaches would have been used. I have just acquired a Comet Mk 1 Coach Kit off ebay for a very reasonable cost, (about 1/3 cost price). Just need to get the correct sides

There's a good colour photo in 'On Cambrian Lines' of 46512 at Oswestry on a Llanfyllin train (8/1963) composed of a BR Mk1 non-corridor composite (W41???) and ex GW non-corridor brake 2nd.  The Mk1 vehicle appears to be one of the 10 compartment ones on the 64' underframe built for BR(W) rather than the more common 'short' 57' versions. Hope this helps.

Ray.

Edited by Marshall5
  • Like 1

There's a good colour photo in 'On Cambrian Lines' of 46512 at Oswestry on a Llanfyllin train (8/1963) composed of a BR Mk1 non-corridor composite (W41???) and ex GW non-corridor brake 2nd.  The Mk1 vehicle appears to be one of the 10 compartment ones on the 64' underframe built for BR(W) rather than the more common 'short' 57' versions. Hope this helps.

Ray.

That is a photo I have not seen in a book I have not seen. I look at any books regarding the Cambrian to see if there is any info regarding Llanfyllin. Sometimes, though, there is only one photo, or nothing new  so I don't buy it.

Thanks for the info

• Like 1

Going back to the BR MK1 Coach in the Photo, I don't have access to the numbers of BR Mk1 coaches, but, looking into it a bit could it be a non gangwayed Diagram 237 which appears to have 10 doors on the side can't see anything else which sounds similar and have not seen the original photo.

Would appreciate any help. I am going to cross post this in the Coaching to try to illicit more help

According to "BR Mk1 Coaches" the 10 compartment non-corridor compos were Diag 312 numbered W41043-8 and W41060-4. The 64' compos had one more 1st class compartment than the more common 57footers.  Dia327 were 10 compartment all seconds. Hope this helps.

Ray.

• Like 1

Thanks very much for that info, can I ask a possibly daft question, looking at some coach sides could a 64' diag 327 coach side be used as a Diag 312 with an appropriate internal layout. Or are there striking external differences?  

Thanks very much for that info, can I ask a possibly daft question, looking at some coach sides could a 64' diag 327 coach side be used as a Diag 312 with an appropriate internal layout. Or are there striking external differences?  

First class compartments are wider than second class.  The 10 cpt 2nd has all compartments the same width whereas the 10 cpt composite has the four firsts wider than the six seconds.

BTW 41060-4 were S and not W.  The first four worked in Exmouth branch sets, the other in a London area commuter rake.

Chris

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...