44767 (and other locos) motion

Good afternoon Mark, nice looking class five. The more I study the work,you've done on creating this tender from a Standard Stanier version is first class modelling

Best wishes Brian

Edited by 46256

Thanks Brain but I have have to say looking on here for help and advice form people like you Ian, Tim & Jason who inspire me with the models you lot do is what I try to achieve.
Well I have been at work and put transfers on what is now 44697 they are fox smoke box sheets, HMRS cab numbers and Modelmaster warning flashers and BR emblem.
here are the pics just need to weather it and add coal and crew.

post-12366-0-12594400-1524064510_thumb.jpeg

post-12366-0-58908800-1524064530_thumb.jpeg

post-12366-0-66038300-1524064539_thumb.jpeg

post-12366-0-21798100-1524064560_thumb.jpeg

post-12366-0-47446200-1524064574_thumb.jpeg

post-12366-0-95774800-1524064582_thumb.jpeg

Edited by mark axlecounter
  • Like 7

Mark what a diverse bunch the class fives were...I labelled them as staniers but in reality whilst as CME he took responsibility for them in reality it was his team ...cox riddles Coleman...and lastly HG Ivatt who created the varietiy at the end ....what a loco..the perfect example in my opinion of design and function.... indeed courtesy of a well known publisher have the reference books covering most but not all of the batches.

I appreciate your regard for these locos is even greater than my own...and regardless of my efforts it was your advice that enabled me to achieve what I still consider to be the ultimate in outside motion...44767.. Stephenson valve gear...seeing that in motion is..still a sight to behold...even more than the two ( four) sets on the Garratt. Best wishes Brian

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It’s been a busy weekend because I took livesy lane ( a friends layout ) to the Bristol 3day show. We had a blast one of the best shows I’ve ever been to.

They had a competition for best kit built Loco and one for the best modified rtr Loco.

GEUSS WHAT

post-12366-0-72485200-1525785328_thumb.jpeg

post-12366-0-18534000-1525785338_thumb.jpeg

• Like 10

I forgot to mention I got first place in both groups. I wasn’t going to enter but the other operators who came down with me kept badgering me to enter so I did. The Kit Loco is a L&Y craftsman Kit 0-6-0 and the other is a Hornby Black 5 converted to one of the high running plate ones.

That’s the first time I have won anything

Edited by mark axlecounter

Good evening Mark great modelling and well deserved awards.....a black five ....probably Mr Staniers finest.....ok duchess..princess etc...I had intended to travel down to see you at the exhibition ...life sadly got in the way.....working on a Scot at present..please keep in touch best wishes Brian

• Like 1

Hello again Mark just studying in close up the high footplate Caprotti...to be accurate more mr Ivatt than stanier...great modelling...I know having created the same...what valve gear did you use.? .in my case the Hornby duke of Gloucester cheers brian

Edited by 46256
  • Like 1

Hi Brain,

I used the djh caprotti which is correct to the mm.

I was going to use the Hornby one but there’s is not so right ( the gear box at the end before the prop should be like a tear drop the Hornby one has not got that)

The show was brilliant I want to go with bucks lane now ha ha

Keep up the good work Brain.

Mark thanks for reply...did DJH supply as a Spare or was it part of a kit. I have a std class five Caprotti courtesy of DJH. I built it as per instructions...only to read an article some time later where the modeller had added extra pipe work under boiler. I then added the same to my model...really enhances it. Best wishes Brian

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Brian,

the caprotti valve gear was a spare from DJH. I had a duke of Gloucester kit with missing parts so I got the spares for it. Then the person who use to have the kit ( I bought of him) said that he had some parts for it in a little box and sure enough it was the parts I needed.

I have been looking into getting some parts made for the black 5 conversion to make it easy to build. That's still being worked on.

I have been building a Djh black 5 for a club member and I am building a comet caprotti black 5 for another club member so I have a few models to get on with plus another conversion of a Hornby black 5 to one of the high running plate caprotti one when I get it from the gent. 

I have been busy with other things, But one issue I had to deal with is.

I have my exhibition layout Bucks Lane at the club rooms and once a month they have an open day. But some times I couldn't get down to run the layout and on one of them open days I forgot to remove the stock ( I always take it off now) and I left a kit built loco on the front of the layout ( Alan Gibson 7f Austin seven) which I built some time ago. Some one wanted it more than me and stole it from the layout but not just mine had gone about 3 other locos from the club layout as well. The locos had been insured by the club room and we have had to clam off the insurance but that was a set back and a lesson learned.

We have now fitted CCTV in the club rooms and it has taught us a very expensive lesson.

But it has pi##ed me and some of the club members off why do people do this, what caused them to do that. Rant over now sorry.

• 1 year later...

Well it’s been a long time since I have posted anything on here, but because of Covid 19 that will change due to having time to build some Loco kits I have had for a rainy day. 
In the next few days I will be putting pictures of some of my latest kits I have built. 

stay safe everyone 

Mark T 

Just finished another standard class 2. 
This is a DJH Loco kit and went together very well. 
I have around 30 kits to build, next one may be an Austin seven or a A class. 
I am half way though modifying a rtr black 5 to a high running plate version for a friend. 
pics will follow soon. 

Mark T 

3847C993-1815-4E97-B57C-1FC5839C3F25.jpeg

E36FDE25-98DD-462A-ABF6-37225B215C77.jpeg

D907B4F3-643D-45B2-A205-F789AABFE753.jpeg

CDA9936B-31AE-4781-A24C-513A12002CC0.jpeg

• Like 8

Thanks Brian it’s been a while. 
so now I finished my br class 2 I went straight on to my comet 8f kit. 
I do like how these kits go together and the Loco body was a moulded body not brass or white metal which I was a bit unsure of (weight on the Loco ) it’s worked out better than I thought. 
It has lead in the boiler and the sound chip with the speaker in the tender all that needs to be done is weather coal and crew it. 
it runs like a dream. 
Any questions ? 

Mark T 

19B54EEE-E889-4411-A724-5466CCAEB97A.jpeg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Can you get the speaker in the loco? Steam locos sound much better with the sound coming from the chimney. 

Nearly all of the locos (from kit built Duchesses down to RTR 2MTs have a speaker in the loco. Only one had it in the tender ( A Hornby loco) i had it returned so that I could fit a speaker in the loco.

The DJH Duke of Gloucester I did (in EM)  has a round speaker which fits the boiler exactly. Sounds..great!

Baz

Hi baz 

normally I would put everything in the Loco but as this is to work my long freight on bucks lane it needs some guts. 
I did try it in the Loco but it was just not powerful enough to pull my weight wagon ( it’s set to the heaviest train I run on bk) 

so that’s why it’s in the tender unfortunately. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Now I have done the 8f I have moved on to a job that I have wanted to do for a while but didn’t have the guts to do, until now. 
the one of our club members has A breakdown crane but no tool vans, so I made 3 tool vans to run with the crane. The formation is to represent the one what was at Lostock hall Loco shed in the 60s. 
it will be running on bucks Lane (when this lock down lets us ) 

They still need weathering but I have used the Dapol kit coaches one a 57ft brake one period 3 and the one with windows is the suburban one. 

79F94959-2785-4E97-A52F-4A622C8A3FD2.jpeg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

It’s been a while since my last update, and it’s been a daft year , one not to forget in a while. 
the LMS tpo coaches are done and I have tested them on my layout all performed will. 
when the restrictions are lifted then I will be putting photos on here, but for the mean time here are the finished coaches 

1F244426-5551-470A-8530-D250E427FDD5.jpeg

C93761CA-E15B-4E9E-A826-F37D4E8FFD34.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Brian, 

I built them for the GCR show but covid got in the way.
They were also a in memory of a club member and very good friend John Essex who passed away early this year. His wife passed away a few weeks before him and they treated me as one of the family. They looked after me and I always felt like I was part of there family ( better than my own parents ). 

• Friendly/supportive 1