Westbury (Wilts) over Xmas and New Year

0O00

Hi all

I was planning a trip out to see some freight action over the holidays. Favourite dates will be New Years Eve or 2nd/3rd Jan. Are we likely to see much action over those days? He's not the most patient (4 and a half) so I would probably only take him to the station for a couple of hours max.

A trip to the Gas Cupboard may be in order afterwards to spend some hard earned Xmas money!

Westbury seems a good bet given that its only an hour or so drive from home plus we have freinds nearby.

Cheers

Alex

• RMweb Gold

Cheers Beast/Rick.

2nd Jan looks active!

Not everything runs as it predicts as it's listing the trains which have paths, that doesn't mean they actually run though but on the day it will be a lot more accurate.

Hi all

I was planning a trip out to see some freight action over the holidays. Favourite dates will be New Years Eve or 2nd/3rd Jan. Are we likely to see much action over those days? He's not the most patient (4 and a half) so I would probably only take him to the station for a couple of hours max.

A trip to the Gas Cupboard may be in order afterwards to spend some hard earned Xmas money!

Westbury seems a good bet given that its only an hour or so drive from home plus we have freinds nearby.

Cheers

Alex

Just be aware the Gas Cupboard are in Trowbridge these days not Westbury.

As well as Gas Cupboard in Trowbridge,  there is also  Hobbyzone in the old Gas Cupboard shop in Castle Street, and I believe that a new  model shop has opened in Church Walk.  Duncs Models, I think, relocated from Chippenham.  Not been there yet, so don't know what exactly they stock.

Something to bear in mind, often over the Christmas and new year period the Mendip quarries don't produce many, if any, trains. Worth keeping an eye on Realtime as highlighted by Dave, particularly to see if any actually even run!

jo

Something to bear in mind, often over the Christmas and new year period the Mendip quarries don't produce many, if any, trains. Worth keeping an eye on Realtime as highlighted by Dave, particularly to see if any actually even run!

jo

Especially also as 4 of their 59s are currently down in Eastleigh Works for winter maintenance too.

• RMweb Premium
ewsjo, on 28 Dec 2013 - 12:38, said:

Monday (30th) should see a load of liners diverted via Chippenham, Melksham, Westbury and the Wylye valley, including the Bristol - Tilbury which reverses at Chippenham

jo

Well spotted jo, seems several 'liners reverse at Chippenham!

However, a word of caution for anyone heading to Chippenham station, several years ago the Binliner was scheduled to do the same thing but it actually reversed at Thingley. The train drew clear of the signal at Thingley Junction where the assisting loco was detached and proceeded to the signal at Thingley East. The train loco which had been on the rear then departed with the 'liner on the main and after it had cleared the section the assisting loco departed (although I don't recall if this was down the main or the branch).

Archived