Walton on the hill 27E Liverpool, EM gauge.

Michael Delamar

• 1 month later...

Obsessed id say as I don’t really enjoy factory production line type of modelling. Doing the same thing over and over. But id say the hard boring work is done now.

There is more brickwork to add to this side of the roof, but that can’t go on until the roof is on.

7283DFAD-0EC7-4692-8D8F-3B76980D6250.jpeg.964c715bdac83958315ea43c280acbd0.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Agree 1

Michael,

I must say how much I enjoy reading updates to this thread. I love the gritty, urban setting and the layout and buildings capture the feel beautifully.

Have to say, the shed building with all those smoke hoods to fix must an absolute labour of love to stick at it.

Dave.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 26/08/2018 at 18:43, Michael Delamar said:

The grass has been growing thanks to Chris.

post-27-0-53061600-1535274768_thumb.jpeg

post-27-0-72906200-1535274783_thumb.jpeg

Hi  Mike, 

really admire your attention to detail with regard to the prototype, a very nice and possibly overlooked touch, was that you have pulled in Tue Brook into the scenic area, great little cameo. Ha, my mistake, it’s the subway !! perfect. Good thing I checked again.

Edited by 1BCamden
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

All credit for the layout deserves to go to Chris Hewitt, great motivator and will always have a surprise for when I come to the club, he works very hard. I pretty much tell him what I want and he does it. Sometimes I’ll ask him to change things and he will with no questions asked.

06A2B378-58FB-4846-A280-6F6DDD3670F1.jpeg.733257c56fcd4cffb276c2ade5dff9e4.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

18 hours ago, Michael Delamar said:

I’ve also acquired a DJH J10. Needs some work, some detail work, renumbering and conversion to EM  gauge. For now it’s dumped alongside the shed like the last of the prototypes were.

0AA2C767-1E8E-4E8C-8D59-88134E5DA098.png.5fabe661b978351596a663cc957da608.png

3FC6C066-3735-405E-B40E-6CDC6D0F4562.jpeg.e8d5a74198facf4e8cf9075d401d5cae.jpeg

A wonderful locomotive and a real workhorse which also hung around to the end of the 1950's at Chester Northgate along with its counter part the N5 tank version. You've done well to find a model and i hope it's a better build than the one I have been struggling to resurrect from a second model I bought a long time ago. 

• Agree 1

Chris continues with the track weathering, darkening the sleepers and toning down the rail rust colours that had strayed too far on to the sleepers.

I'm still searching for a Impetus kit of a Simplex 4wPM for the Dunlop siding on the left here.

67B83AFB-A3C3-46FA-8C96-1D47263A6A34.jpeg.9eb636c421bb672f855b5910a2be027e.jpeg

• Like 6

Best of luck with that.

I liked the L&Y pug watching Chris airbrushing. Did they get the WotH?

By the time I got to Liverpool, they had all gone...as had all the Semis, Princesses, Scots and Pates. Only a couple of Jubes around.

We managed 8A, 8B, 8C, and 8K in the day. Warrington was the best shed with half a dozen Jubilees and a few Brits. the rest was Balck fives etc. Not really what a young (sub 14) spotter was expecting, having read my out of date shed book diligently to see what I MIGHT spot...

Bank Hall was...interesting...with the live rails in the yard and a couple of double chimneyed 75xxx locos in green. It's resident Jubilees were long gone.

Spring 1966.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, JeffP said:

I liked the L&Y pug watching Chris airbrushing. Did they get the WotH?

They definately got to Walton in LMS days, in the days when they were fitted with the large spark arrestors. I’ve got 2 shots of them at Walton. Wether they got there in BR days in the period the layout is set I’m unsure and doubt it. It’s on the layout as being small it’s a a good test loco. We could say it has popped up from Huskisson yard for coal as it would be a shorter trip than back to Bank Hall.

Edited by Michael Delamar

It's looking great Mike & Chris.... (as are all of your layouts from the past) and I look forward to seeing it in the flesh one day.

With the close proximity of the track to the front of the baseboard, will there be anything there to prevent stock being knocked off, or will you leave it to chance? I can see the practicalities of clear acrylic sheets being screwed to the front of a layout for protection of the models, and in some cases protection for the viewers, but they do look naff!

• Agree 2

30 minutes ago, Kier Hardy said:

It's looking great Mike & Chris.... (as are all of your layouts from the past) and I look forward to seeing it in the flesh one day.

With the close proximity of the track to the front of the baseboard, will there be anything there to prevent stock being knocked off, or will you leave it to chance? I can see the practicalities of clear acrylic sheets being screwed to the front of a layout for protection of the models, and in some cases protection for the viewers, but they do look naff!

Cheers, Ive never liked clear acrylic on the front of layouts either I think it looks tacky. So will be left to chance it may have some beading as a protector. Also we’ve left provision to have the other 2 sidings in the goods yard that had to be left off on an extension board in the future if we ever decide to do so and get the space.

Today is Grand National day and a busy day at Walton as more exotic motive power than is usually seen here are being serviced on the ash pit road for their return journeys after bringing in race specials to Aintree Central. While a coal train for Clarence dock power station passes.

38524CCD-C569-4A20-B1EA-C97DACC05406.jpeg.060236fe0c069cb536f9a7435f9c42ca.jpeg

Edited by Michael Delamar
  • Like 12