Walton on the hill 27E Liverpool, EM gauge.

Michael Delamar

On the 18th April 1963......I visited the depot as one of many we did that day, with the Northern Railfans club I think.

We arrived at Walton on the Hill after doing 27A Bank Hall......and from here we went on to 27B Aintree next

The total number of locos on Walton shed that day were as follows.

D5862

D5820

Edited by 250BOB
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I too look forward to seeing this one develop. I hope you'll be modelling Rice lane baths as well? Maybe the Goodison floodlights on the backscene?

yes the baths will be on, just the front of them.

3875073127_3553c4228f_b.jpg

as will this bank which is now demolished but was right over the tunnel.

4015465448_f4c60e7916_b.jpg
  • Agree 1

On the 18th April 1963......I visited the depot as one of many we did that day, with the Northern Railfans club I think.

We arrived at Walton on the Hill after doing 27A Bank Hall......and from here we went on to 27B Aintree next

The total number of locos on Walton shed that day were as follows.

D5862

D5820

thats great, 2 class 31s and a 9f. just the sort of info im looking for, thanks.

Edited by Michael Delamar

Austin 7 near to the coaling stage before its was roof was rebuit, locos were coaled with small 3 wheeled tubs by crane, there was about 10-15 tubs on the stage which were filled by coalmen from wagons at the back of the stage. The crane had an electric hoist but was pushed round by hand.

The tubs were held on centre fulcrum pins and swung round when the fireman released the catch on the tub, there was lots of complaints about this arrangement from staff and there were accidents over the years.

p1853789234-2.jpg

and an Austerity round the side of the shed, can see the coaling stage in the background with its rebuilt roof and wind shelters

p1215385404-2.jpg

• Like 1

Interesting line the CLC around Liverpool. I remember when going to tech at Liverpool passing over the little used twin tracks at Broad Green, and later going from Wigan Wallgate to Liverpool Exchange (when I was at Birkenhead gas works for a spell) the seemingly huge goods depot at Kirkdale. Coming home around 5pm ish there usually was a Brush 4 (class 47) shunting vans down there as we passed. Just a distant memory now.

Do you mean Huskisson yard visible from Sandhills station? If so I didnt know class 47s got down there, what year are we talking?

I know class 25s and class 40s worked down there but this was after Walton on the hill closed, although I may still run a 40 now and then.

Yes Michael, It was the Huskisson yard, at a lower level than the L&Y main line, and on the RHS when leaving Exchange.

The year would be around 1971 - 2, (Not 69 or 70 as I used the Lime St service from Wigan whilst attending Riversdale Tech).  I've somewhere seen a photo of a 47 here, seem to remember the caption stated a parcels train left here daily around this time. Where to I can't remember. If I do, or find the photo I'll let you know.

Incidentally, the book "Liverpool & Manchester Vol 2 The Cheshire Lines" by Bob Pixton (Amadeus Press) has quite a number of photos of Walton-on-the-hill shed, and the line in general.

Brit15

• Like 1

the Bob Pixton book has some good shots, one of jinty 47487 on a railtour at the station in 1964.

some spotters notes of the shed 1957-63.

http://shedbashuk.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/walton-on-hill-1957-1963.html

whats interesting to me is the stanier and fairburn tanks still based there after 1960, Im not sure what they used them for then as passenger services from Aintree to Gatacre had finished then, maybe they were used for banking

Banking will also be done on the layout, most stock will be 3 link.

• Like 1

I take it you know that Mike's a big Liverpool fan! :jester:

Mike shares my allegiances and I thought he'd appreciate the irony of the suggestion!

I remember going past Huskisson many times in the 60s and 70s. Full of fitted vans, as I recall, so Parkside will be rubbing their hands at the prospect of this layout.

• Like 2

You want it finished after eight pints of Burton Bridge finest?

Ill set to work now but don't blame me if slip is HO

No wood has been cut yet, as soon as the templot plan is finished it will be easier to finalise baseboard sizes and then start on the pointwork construction.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Really interesting project, always wanted to model the bootle branch and aintree shed, hard to imagine so many railway lines that have now gone, and until I read this didn't know I was living so close to an old team shed.

• Like 1

I need to find a sectional appendix that mentions Banking from Huskisson, Im not sure where the bankers were dropped off. 

I think they had the condenser fitted jinties for this purpose because of the steep incline in the 3 tunnels but ive never seen anything official to confirm this.

Bit of an update, 

Chris Hewitt has agreed to build the pointwork for me in ply and rivet, he's ordered the parts from the EM gauge society. a single slip, 2x 3 way points and several normal points.

Ive also just discovered a nice shot of Jubilee Barham on shed on grand national day 1963 although the caption is wrong. It had worked a special into Aintree central.

http://www.railpictorial.com/piwigo/picture.php?/1170/search/1668

Edited by Michael Delamar
  • Like 1

Nice one Michael, you can't go far wrong with an MPD in a layout, especially if it involves dirty grubby smelly smokey freight locos, this gets my vote, and with loads to model and detail it will be a cracking layout, so I will be back for more updates, please don't keep me waiting to long.

Andy :sungum:

• Like 1

Thanks men, more good news, another member of the Lime Street team Steve Hewitt (no relation to Chris) will be building the 3 signals on the layout, all home signals, one is a bracket signal protecting the goods yard of which ive only got a faint shot of but Steve is confident he knows what it would be like, look out for him building them in his thread in the future.