Walton on the hill 27E Liverpool, EM gauge.

Michael Delamar

Taken last year before any buildings were started and not long after I had the OS map enlarged to the size of the model to help with the planning of the buildings and roads. Chris temporarily holds up the backscene.

attachicon.gif5A119704-F284-4B1A-89B7-7833616EDF1C.jpeg

The amount of buildings that disappeared when the Rice Lane flyover was built is amazing.

My father lived a little way along Queens Drive near the junction with Haggerston Road and went to Allsops.  I showed him the pictures of your buildings and he said that they were very recognisable!

• 2 months later...

Right time for an update.

Very little progress on the layout. I eluded earlier in the thread but didn’t want to say. I have been away from home the last 3 months doing my freight train driving rules and traction which I have recently passed. Progressing up from a shunter and I’m now doing my required driving hours with mentor drivers. I didn’t want to say earlier as I don’t like to jinx things. Nearly all my time was taken up with revision and exams. I’m not one to give the ins and outs of work life on here but that’s the reason for no layout progress. It was also too hot in the club rooms over the summer.

But now work on the layout can start again. Chris Hewitt has been doing some scenery bits while I was away, but his time is being spent getting his layout Sandon Dock ready for the Barrow In Furness Show in October.

Ive just this week went and got a load more wood for the backscene and lighting pelmets.

I did get to the Newcastle show to see South Pelaw and also went one evening to see Roy Jackson’s Retford running and they have really kept the interest up.

Ive recently discovered 2 lovely photographs of the shed taken by John Lucas on 8th December 1962. On Geograph.co.uk so copyright is allowed.

post-27-0-40293600-1535224217.jpeg

post-27-0-26707500-1535224228_thumb.jpeg

Mike

• Like 15

Recently aquired a sectional appendix for the period. Giving details such as permissible line speed and block working, I did wonder if the line being freight only was permissive freight worked but not so. Also mentions banking from Huskisson to Fazakerley West junction. Some trains will be banked on the layout, the banker dropping off to return or go on the shed.

post-27-0-97080100-1535793002_thumb.jpeg

post-27-0-88099600-1535793049_thumb.jpeg

post-27-0-01171700-1535793070_thumb.jpeg

post-27-0-21643700-1535793877_thumb.jpeg

On the layout itself, a train of coal for Clarence dock power station.

A lot of the ballast is not glued down yet, but was a test. The sleepers and rails need painting first, they will be sprayed.

The sleepers cant be painted just yet as not all the points have the chairs glued on, a job which is still ongoing.

A lot of the colours on the scenery are base colours at the moment. The base for the shed and shed pits are progressing as is the embankment and council tip behind it.

post-27-0-59129400-1535793945_thumb.jpeg

post-27-0-22905300-1535793972_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Michael Delamar
  • Like 16

On the layout itself, a train of coal for Clarence dock power station.

A lot of the ballast is not glued down yet, but was a test. The sleepers and rails need painting first, they will be sprayed.

The sleepers cant be painted just yet as not all the points have the chairs glued on, a job which is still ongoing.

A lot of the colours on the scenery are base colours at the moment. The base for the shed and shed pits are progressing as is the embankment and council tip behind it.

Hi Michael,

great set of pictures and things looks as they are coming along nicely.

Please excuse me if this has been covered before, it looks as if your track is mounted directly to the baseboards. Is this so or is there cork or the like that I cant see (I need stronger glasses   :blind:   )

Regards,

• 2 weeks later...

Steve Hewitt’s signals temporarily installed for a photo. When they are later installed the bases will be hidden. A lot of the ballast in this area isn’t glued down yet, still needs the track painting.

The Brush type 2 is waiting to depart the shed. Protected by the right hand sided ground disc signal. This will be the position for the signal from what I can gather from various plans, ive no photo of this area.

The line the type 2 is on will be the departure road. Controlled by Fazakerley West Junction signal box. The 3 way point to the right will be the shed arrival lines, these are hand points, the next point along is controlled by the signal box.

Ive placed a Triang signal box in the distance, I may include Fazakerley West box in the future, even though it was further along to the right, I don’t normally like moving buildings but I could place it up against the backscene letter box cut out for a bit of interest and since I’ve tightened the curve moreso than it was in reality, the signal man would now lose sight of all the signals on the layout if his box was in the original position, moving it back this way he now has sight again, well that would be my excuse.

post-27-0-86432800-1536936854_thumb.jpeg

• Like 14

• 1 month later...

Little progress on the layout itself other than wiring.

Chris in the meantime has been working on a half relief building that is up against the backscene on the layout.

It was a vets building for the nearby stables and was demolished many years ago.

It is all plasticard construction and is unfinished. The only parts done on the laser cutter are the window frames. The rest is all cut by hand.

The model on the left was the first attempt before Chris decided it was too small but shows the construction.

post-27-0-70970100-1541195450_thumb.jpeg

post-27-0-75681000-1541195476_thumb.jpeg

post-27-0-44942100-1541195498_thumb.jpeg

post-27-0-96082500-1541195515_thumb.jpeg

• Like 18
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 3 weeks later...

The grass has been growing thanks to Chris.

attachicon.gif77CA858C-2E57-4C75-BFDB-C9F05C4CC2E5.jpeg

attachicon.gif654FCD64-DD60-42BD-8E3C-003B917C2C70.jpeg

Morning Mike,

layouts coming long nicely, quick question if I may?

How did you paint the grass?

As I am using hanging basket liner, very similar to carpet underlay, but I need to paint it and I cant figure the best possible way. 

Jesse 

As I am using hanging basket liner, very similar to carpet underlay, but I need to paint it and I cant figure the best possible way. 

Jesse 

Ideally you need to 'plant' the grass the colour it's going to be, rather than try to alter or paint the colour afterwards. I'd suggest dying the basket liner to your chosen colour, then lay it once it has dried, and perhaps add different fibre tones to enhance it afterwards.

• Like 1

Ideally you need to 'plant' the grass the colour it's going to be, rather than try to alter or paint the colour afterwards. I'd suggest dying the basket liner to your chosen colour, then lay it once it has dried, and perhaps add different fibre tones to enhance it afterwards.

Well the only hanging basket liner in Australia is brown, so if I used it on an Australian layout it would be perfect, however, I model England

Morning Mike,

Hi Jesse.

I didn’t. I arrived at the club one evening and Chris Hewitt had done it.

The grass is old car carpet insulation which has a yellowish colour to it. It’s been painted by Windsor and Newton watercolours mainly Sap green. Watered right down. When dry it’s brought to life with a small wire brush.

Mike

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Morning Mike,

layouts coming long nicely, quick question if I may?

Jesse 

Jesse,

Pendon uses LNER Apple Green which you probably have a ready supply of, for colouring grass on the Vale scene.

Other greens are available...

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Right time for an update.

Very little progress on the layout. I eluded earlier in the thread but didn’t want to say. I have been away from home the last 3 months doing my freight train driving rules and traction which I have recently passed........

I’m not one to give the ins and outs of work life on here but that’s the reason for no layout progress.

Leave the work updates to me!

First time I’ve looked at this thread, lots of pages to catch up with but some seriously nice modelling, loving the corner shop and mish mash row of houses