Arnold N track

Chris_nicole

I tried posting this query in the Hornby group but got no replies.

Hopefully the N-gaugers are better informed...

:)

I've seen Hornby International's relaunch of the Arnold N-gauge track system in the latest magazines. I haven't seen any mention of what height or code the rail is.

I'm rather surprised it wasn't mentioned in any of the reviews I've seen so far.

How compatible is it with British N-gauge ?

Is it code 80 or something else, does anyone know ?

Regards,

Chris

Hi Chris

Arnold track used to be Code 83 (2.1mm) according to this German language Wiki http://www.der-moba....n_Eimeren/Test2.

Further text: "High track without profile made from steel (hardly solderable). Chunky points and frog, 15?° crossing in left/right design."

I've no idea if Hornby changed the profile or material and I have no experience with this track.

For the compatibility with british N-gauge, Arnold gauge with is 9 mm. So I wouldn't expect problems (except with RP25 wheels).

Hope this helps.

Mac

Hi Chris

Arnold track used to be Code 83 (2.1mm) according to this German language Wiki http://www.der-moba....n_Eimeren/Test2.

Further text: "High track without profile made from steel (hardly solderable). Chunky points and frog, 15???? crossing in left/right design."

I've no idea if Hornby changed the profile or material and I have no experience with this track.

For the compatibility with british N-gauge, Arnold gauge with is 9 mm. So I wouldn't expect problems (except with RP25 wheels).

Hope this helps.

Mac

Thanks Mac,

I was a little surprised that Arnold N seemed to be getting a lot of press recently without mention of its vital statistics!

Regards,

Chris

From what I've seen of this it does look pretty crude. The rail appears to be plain section (i.e. no rail shaped profile!) and there is a large black plastic "pit" around the crossing section of the points - probably to support pizza-cutter wheels!

I seem to remember that Hornby International\OnTracks were pushing it on price v. Peco at Warley, which I guess says it all!

Thanks Mac,

I was a little surprised that Arnold N seemed to be getting a lot of press recently without mention of its vital statistics!

Regards,

Chris

I would imagine a number of N manufacturers would view their vital statistics as a weak point, especially in the track 'n wheel area.

B.

Archived