LNERGE has coaches to make, now with Mk1 sleeper questions..

LNERGE

Mrs. LNERGE has bought me a goodly pile of coaches to make for Christmas. They are all from Southern Pride and look rather superb. First out of the box is a MK1 Griddle car. Immediately i have a question though i will confess to not reading the text supplied with the kit. The picture on the box shows the built kit but there appears to be no dynamo. A quick trawl of the net has proved inconclusive. Did say SC1104 have a dynamo?

Edited by LNERGE

post-4697-0-73328800-1388092818.jpg

Hi Richard

Attached is a photo of E1104 I took at Shackerstone back in 2010. You can just make out what appears to be a heavy duty dynamo under the first door nearest the photographer. I also have an image of it taken from the other end on the same side if you so wish.

Regards

Grahame

• Like 1

Many thanks for that. I couldn't imagine it without one but stranger thing's have happened. Again the instructions don't mention the voltage regulator. I've not noted anything conventional in any of the pictures i've looked at.

It will have a regulator, it will be a square front box. The catering vehicles with the high electrical demands had a dynamo and regulator made by J Stone and co of Deptford. 

The regulator is on the opposite side to the photo, if my memory serves me correctly.

Regards

Al Taylor

I've not seen it in any photo's yet. Construction is on hold at the moment as domestic duties keep getting in the way. I'm just about off the hook so will hopefully i can make a start again tomorrow. The thought that i have a Bar Car and a Booth Car to do is causing an itch<g> With the latter i can find an excuse to go look at the real one if i need details..

• 1 year later...

I can't believe it's over a year and a half since i've had time to sit down and do some involved model making.. Twins/my signalboxes/work/other peoples signalboxes/signalling design work/stripping real signalboxes/apathy have all got in the way. A weekend of testing a G switch, backdrives and associated circuitry in the persisting rain have killed my interest in doing twelve inch to the foot stuff so out came a kit. 

I have a couple of these to make that Mrs LNERGE bought for me same time as the other coaches.. 

post-4034-0-31426000-1441136268_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• 5 years later...

I can't believe it's five years since i last posted in this thread. I have been building loads, especially during lockdown, so i'll post a few updates..

The first is a vague attempt at a diagram 700 Kitchen Car by the Triand chop and shut method.

78BDA40E-2A66-4688-95F1-2F43362D47B5.jpeg

The Booth Car is from Southern Pride side on a Triang sides/chassis. I gave the owner of the real one a five year head start but i think i may stand a good chance of finishing it before his..

EDA26E8B-7BBA-4D70-8FC1-A2E5069F57E7.jpeg

Edited by LNERGE
Add photos
  • Like 6

I asked for this thread to be moved from Kitbuilding and Scratchbuilding as I’ve departed from the intended method of construction with the Southern Pride kits.  I wanted all the vehicles to look the same height etc. I’ve opted to stick the brass sides on to Tri-ang Mk1’s 32921ABE-014D-4ED3-A8AF-3B12DF379A46.jpeg.98e397d18311776440c476cdb0ef0656.jpeg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • LNERGE changed the title to LNERGE has coaches to make, now with Mk1 sleeper questions..

Next up are a few Mk1sleepers. The first question is about the duct on one end of each coach that goes over the corridor connection. Is there a drawing anywhere? One of my books has something on the roof duct but nothing about the end. I also note the communication chord tell tales seem to be abscent. What was in it's place?

• 2 weeks later...

Following this with interest as I've a couple of Mk.1 sleepers to upgrade.  Did you manage to find a drawing or dimensions for the end air duct to enable your friend to laser-cut them ?

Alasdair