American O Scale: "Portway Terminal Short Line, MN".

F-UnitMad

On 20/03/2020 at 21:45, Northroader said:

Couldn’t you have given it a bl—dy big clout to bring it up to your exacting track laying standards?

Listen - I didn't get my trackwork to the state it's in by using precision instruments, y'know!! 🙄😝😝😝

372f8f275cadc8cc488fe786c96f8ebd.jpg.fe72a47f14e17d0ed834f8e797792c09.jpg

Edited by F-UnitMad
Added Top Gear pic for reference!!
  • Funny 4

• 2 weeks later...

Bad news everyone, I'm afraid. Despite all the months of planning, the years of hand-laying track, and the time taken to get my 'bad' track just 'right', this layout is to be dismantled. 

When SWMBO said that I might need to sell my trains to help us through the economic problems caused by the Covid-19 Pandemic, I think my reply "Over my dead body" might have been the wrong answer..... 😱

Currently looking at what I could do in 4ft x 1ft with my Atlas Plymouths. 🤔🤪

What a day...... 🤦‍♂️

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Surely you can keep the layout, in anticipation of better times (eventually)?

You have my sympathy and empathy: I had to sell of my carefully cultivated S scale brass collection a couple of years ago due to unemployment, just as it had reached a critical mass, including two USRA light mikados, and my plans for modelling the Rutland Railroad went out of the window.

• Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, F-UnitMad said:

Bad news everyone, I'm afraid. Despite all the months of planning, the years of hand-laying track, and the time taken to get my 'bad' track just 'right', this layout is to be dismantled. 

When SWMBO said that I might need to sell my trains to help us through the economic problems caused by the Covid-19 Pandemic, I think my reply "Over my dead body" might have been the wrong answer..... :punish:

Currently looking at what I could do in 4ft x 1ft with my Atlas Plymouths. :senile: :cry:

What a day...... :no:

Wait a minute...........where’s that calendar?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 01/04/2020 at 11:15, doctor quinn said:

Wait a minute...........where’s that calendar?

Curses - rumbled!!!

Sorry chaps - GOTCHA!!! 🤣🤣🤣🥳🥳

Mindyou, fingers crossed that post doesn't come back & bite me any time.... 😱

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Curses, fooled again. Put it next to lorry drivers being conscripted for front line duties moving ventilators to China through the Siberian Highway.

Edited by Northroader
  • Like 2

On 01/04/2020 at 12:43, Regularity said:

Git.

I do apologise. But a good April's Fool joke does have to be plausible - however horribly plausible that might be, and not so outlandish that you can see the joke galloping towards you from over the horizon. 🙄

I did try to put a couple of clues in there that it was a wind-up; the 'over my dead body' quip and "what a day" comment 😉 but maybe they were a bit too subtle.

I can confirm that there has been no talk whatsoever in my house of the disposal of model railroad items or layouts. I've only just finished work for now though (self employed painter & decorator), I've had to postpone further jobs as much due to unavailability of paint as anything - for some reason it doesn't count as Essential on Hardware store websites although equally unfortunately, I seem to have enough paint in stock for all the jobs I have at home to do 😳 so something's gone wrong there certainly!! 🤦‍♂️

So at present no more modelling time available than usual... but what to do in 4ft x 1ft with Atlas Plymouths is an intriguing question...

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

On 01/04/2020 at 22:51, Regularity said:

You don’t need to: it was said with affection.

I was more annoyed at falling for it!

I thought as much, which is why I had to mark your response as 'funny' - it did make me laugh out loud!! 🤣

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

I thought as much, which is why I had to mark your response as 'funny' - it did make me laugh out loud!! ;)

You and I have known each other for too long (even if we haven’t met!) to fall out over something like that, Jordan!

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Not a bad crop of April fools this year....Heljans Eurotunnel trains, Accuracrafts Irish Deltic 'my lovely horse' and Jordans railroad demise.... improved my day no end, well done lads

Ah, I saw the Irish Deltic, I wondered if there were any others. Missed the HJ Eurotunnel trains - I'd probably have fallen for that one myself!

A 4' x 1' micro layout or an Inglenook concept in O scale, with a Beep can be an interesting addition to your layout Jordan.

It can be a"connected industry" to your existent layout.

A 4'x1' can have a high level of detail because of it's small size.

And this 4'x1' can be a nice layout for exhibitions.

That gives me ideas........

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

Yeah, it's not so much the Plymouths that are a problem on a 4 x 1 - it's the 72ft Centerbeam flats that take up the space.... :help:  :sarcastichand:

18" each!

• RMweb Premium

Chop em into three, I just discovered (up there with E=mc2) you can get two gons out of an Atlas 50 footer.

good luck with your “ideas”, Jacky.

Edited by Northroader
  • Like 1

On my workbench today; a Weaver 4-bay covered hopper, and a replacement Pecos River brass underframe to convert it to a more accurate 3-bay, with thanks to Big Trains James of Western Thunder Forum who shipped it to me from the USA.  

20200404_213811.jpg.290349bc1d91bb9a452eb060ac129c0b.jpg

Close up of the brass underframe reveals new stirrups from brass strip, comedy soldered to each corner, to replace the molded plastic - i.e. fragile!! ones on the body....

20200404_213829.jpg.516ce2663c0efd218cf13813f77c157b.jpg

The model also now sits on Atlas trucks, which have rotating bearing caps. Once the underframe is painted white & weathered the 3 discharge chutes will show up better.

20200404_214424.jpg.88f08bd809d2bda05c5153fa80839995.jpg

So not finished yet; other planned work includes replacing the molded grab irons with wire ones, but at least some more progress has been made on one more model in the To Do list. 

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2