American O Scale: "Portway Terminal Short Line, MN".

F-UnitMad

Glad to hear that the exhibition went well.  Was this the layout's public debut?  I'd love to see more pictures (or video) if you have then.

Thanks,

Damin.

It was it's first outing. It's booked for a local (to me!!) Show in October as well.

I didn't get any pics or videos of it in action, although plenty were taken by others! A couple of pics have showed up in the "Trent Valley 2014" Show Thread; maybe some more will turn up there.

Larger scales certainly do have some 'presence' that HO & N lack, which in turn can compensate for things like short trains. Mostly all I was running was 'loco + 2 cars' - all that can fit in a 4ft fiddleyard - but their sheer size made up for that. Across the aisle from me was the N scale Modular group, where they were running 50+ car trains with three 6-axle locos on the point - equally impressive, but for entirely different reasons.

Until an uncoupling bar catches on a curve and the whole train falls over!

I have to say the mountain and river section on their layout was superb!

I didn't actually get to see Portway Center in action, as nothing was moving when I popped over to take a look, but my god that trackwork is incredible. Absolutely fantastic work Jordan.

The whole layout was truly exceptional - the photos don't do it justice!

as nothing was moving when I popped over to take a look,

Oh b****r :blush: isn't that always the way? :scratchhead: You should have asked, or had we gone AWOL as well??

but my god that trackwork is incredible. 

Thanks for the compliment - it certainly seemed to be a "feature" :locomotive:

One viewer thought I had badly balanced boxcars, as they were leaning over so much - he was amazed when he stood at the end of the layout, & looked down the track... ;)

• Like 1

To be honest Jordan I was rushing around trying to see everything whilst Jack kindly guarded my layout whilst operating his!

I didn't get chance to hang around. I just hurried over, had a quick gawk at the trackwork then had to rush off.

I barely got time to look at any of the layouts, and it's a shame as they are all utterly superb.

Portway Center is a lot smaller than I thought it would be, and conversely, 59th and Rust was a lot bigger than I thought it would be!

For Damin, there are now some pics of it in the TVNAM Thread, amongst the big batches Jack Shortliner has posted; I'm sure he won't mind me copying this one across, which shows the track rather well...

post-6688-0-67231200-1402917548.jpg

Behind the backscene, in control & concentrating hard by the looks of it is my boy; I'm further back, looking remarkably relaxed I think!!, and I believe it's Roger Nicholls ('Palm Bay' layout) giving Portway the once-over...

• Like 4

Here - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/79495-trent-valley-show-2014/

The Show Pictures are on the last few pages. :declare:

There are pictures taken pre-show earlier but try http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/79495-trent-valley-show-2014/page-16 Pics from the show start at post#362

Thanks guys!  Definitely a lot of great layouts there!  Almost seems like the show would need a second day just to see everything.

Thanks,

Damin.

At TVNAM, I was told by a certain member that I really should get DCC Sound for this layout.

I do have to admit that the MRC 'Soundbox' with under-board speaker wasn't brilliant on this layout; the engine 'rumble' is very generic, and with the fixed speaker it was fairly obvious at times it wasn't the loco making a noise.

Well thankyou Mr Certain Member... :nono:  Mr C. Gilbert of Hagley I officially declare you are a Bad Influence on Impoverished Modellers...

SW1200DCC_zps61ddf990.jpg

I have being playing around with a Tsunami Sound Chip. Not a finished Install by any means, but it works well in my Atlas SW1200RS, which still had the speaker in it from the TMCC gear it had when I bought it. The chip has drawn about a quarter-Amp on test. For the sort of low-speed switching required on Portway Center, a standard HO chip seems perfectly adequate for this O Scale, single-motor loco. :locomotive:

• Like 5

I have being playing around with a Tsunami Sound Chip. Not a finished Install by any means, but it works well in my Atlas SW1200RS, which still had the speaker in it from the TMCC gear it had when I bought it. The chip has drawn about a quarter-Amp on test. For the sort of low-speed switching required on Portway Center, a standard HO chip seems perfectly adequate for this O Scale, single-motor loco. :locomotive:

Cannot wait to see, I mean, hear it in action!

Thanks,

Damin.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

At TVNAM, I was told by a certain member that I really should get DCC Sound for this layout.

I do have to admit that the MRC 'Soundbox' with under-board speaker wasn't brilliant on this layout; the engine 'rumble' is very generic, and with the fixed speaker it was fairly obvious at times it wasn't the loco making a noise.

Well thankyou Mr Certain Member... :nono:  Mr C. Gilbert of Hagley I officially declare you are a Bad Influence on Impoverished Modellers...

Work on the "DCC Sound" front is progressing steadily.

No pics today, but as well as the SW1200, I have now fitted a "Super Tsunami" - from Protocraft in the USA - to my Weaver/Atlas GP40, and at the Telford Guildex event tomorrow I'll be collecting my Atlas RS3 which has a QSI decoder, which I have had re-programmed from EMD 567 to Alco 244. ;)

These are the main locos for Portway Center, which is booked for the Cradley Heath Show, Sat 18th October - about 6 weeks away :shout:

Details Here :- http://frankc76.wix.com/chmrc#!exhibitions/cxxj

As for plain, boring, non-sound DCC (actually the peace & quiet is nice sometimes!!) I'm having some success with HO decoders in O scale locos. I've used a Digitrax DH126 in one of my old Atlas/Roco Plymouths, and an NCE DA-SR in my Atlas GP35. This being a twin-motor loco, I've kept them wired in series, which has helped keep the amps down. My two F-Units, which are single-motors, also have NCE DA-SR decoders.

Jordan - if you are using the "MRC soundbox", feed its output into a set of the amplified computer speakers with a subwoofer in the middle and the other two speakers at the end -  it "spreads" the sound and gives less of a fixed position effect - just don't turn the volume up too far

The MRC box is still far too generic an engine sound, though. It worked well enough on Schiller Point, but for this layout the best option is sound from each loco itself - especially with such distinctively different engines as an EMD 645 Turbo & an old Alco. The main reason I got an Alco was after overdosing on YouTube clips of the Battenkill Railroad !!!

I should add re using HO decoders that my locos will only ever be going fairly slowly; full power will not be required, so the decoders will not be pushed to the limit. They probably wouldn't be the best option for a layout with a long main line & higher speeds. Even the 3-amp 'super Tsunami' decoder - which I bought because the single Pittman motor in my GP40 is quite power-hungry - even that decoder is drawing less than 0.5 amps as the loco burbles along at about speed step 4.

• 1 month later...

As I said on another thread (can’t remember which) the best way would be to use mid and high frequencies from the model itself with a single sub - woofer (like a decent 12”) under the layout handling all the low freqs from every loco.

The ear has a hard time determining where low freqs are coming from and with a moving loco, mid and highs also moving the brain would think the lows were moving too.

I just don’t know how to split the signal though! Blue tooth to an amplifier under the layout, perhaps?

I wonder if John has thought about this? I know virtually nothing about DCC sound...

Best, Pete.

... , I used to have a link to a shop in Morecombe advertising American O anyone remember it ?

If that was Quince Valley Designs, that's me. In the process of moving from Morecambe to Hampshire. Remaining American O-scale stock is in accessible-slowly storage, lots of parts as well as rolling stock. Work should start on a list soon .... Specific requests can still go to jasonATquincevalleydesigns.co.uk (yes, AT=@) or just mail me your phone number.

Planning to be at Leigh in April and Winchester if that starts again in 2015.

Jason Dickie

Just a shameless *bump* as this Saturday coming (18th Oct) I shall be inflicting the delights of Wonky Trackwork on unsuspecting punters at the 2nd Cradley Heath Show.... :shout: :locomotive: :sungum:

...and they loved it!!! :sungum: I got a lot of compliments about the layout as a whole.

Pity the DCC sound wasn't a totally roaring success though. :( The 2 tsunami-equipped locos regularly had the sound drop out, seemingly due to poor electrical contact, but the QSI fitted loco sailed through the same sections no problem. I used to get the same problem with tsunamis in HO, they seem VERY fussy decoders & I won't be buying any more. To add insult to injury the horns on the tsunamis were so poor compared to the QSI that eventually I just stopped sounding them - they were an embarrassment!! A shame as the tsunami engine sounds seem better than the QSI, which to me didnt sound like the Alco RS's spluttering along on the Batten Kill RR. I've had ESU Loksound recommended to me but the 'large scale' version is horrendously expensive. :O :(

Hi Jordan,

glad all went well - with the running at least.

I am having similar problems with sound in my Heljan 33 - fitted with a Loksound 3.5XL, in as much as it seems to be getting quieter each time I put it on the track - adjusting CV63 does not work, nor going back to the 'Factory' settings via CV8!

cheers

Mike

Poor electrical contact sounds like a likely candidate - especially for that Heljan 33 - I take it you guys have thoroughly cleaned the track, loco wheels and pickups?

Those would be my first 3 tasks in that respect.

Glad Portway Center went down well, Jordan. You keep tempting me with US O scale, but I just don't have the room!

Hi Daniel,

many thanks for your suggestions, especially regarding the 33. The wheels and track are very clean, running on the Club layout is not allowed until wheels have been inspected and the track is cleaned every week. I shall check the pick-ups and for any loose wires in to/out of, the decoder.

cheers

Mike