American O Scale: "Portway Terminal Short Line, MN".

F-UnitMad

• 2 weeks later...

Right, I do hope this works....

A rough'n'ready YouTube video done yesterday of a spin around my loft....

It should have subtitles as we go round; you might have to click a button to get them up??!!

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 12

you should have been pushing F5(flange squeal) on those tight curves :locomotive: , i'll have to go and sit down now as my head is in a spin!!!!!!! :stinker:

Ray

I couldn't press any buttons - I was too busy holding my phone steady!! :blush: hence the lack of horn and bells at grade crossings, etc.

That looks so good, a proper size train doing a full circuit. The hand laid track round the curve makes the curve look right, too. You must be pleased!

"Only" 7 cars, but yes it's better than just two or three, and in O is a rather long train in reality!! I've yet to test haulage capacity of my locos, which may well be limited by the tight curves more than anything - plus, I don't want a 'string-lining' incident and possibly pull cars over the edge of the layout!! :O

I am pleased with the track. The curves don't look too bad, from eye level anyway, and although I did use Fast-Tracks "sweep sticks" for the 36" radius curves, I led into & out of the curves with a strip of MDF, which - more by accident than design - appears to have built some transition into them, so they don't quite have that abrupt 'train set' or set track look to them. Even the sharp 26" radius is only for about 6" or so within that curve.

• Like 3

Waow! That's nice Jordan! Thank you for the video.

Your tight curves aren't a problem for the US trains. The Alco runs well and we can't understand the curves are so tight.

A 7 long cars train with a RS-3 is very good. No more cars are needed.

Bravo !

Just for some perspective, Jordan - the maximum train length on my N scale layout is two 4 axle locos, 7 50' cars and a caboose.

My HO scale layout has a maximum train length of 1 loco, 5 50' cars and a caboose.

My O scale - well... I'm sure you'd be more knowledgeable in that regard - RS3, 50' cars, bay window caboose... 4' staging tracks. Any idea how long the train would be? I'm hoping 2 cars + caboose. :P

So yeah, 7 car trains seems spot on to me.

- RS3, 50' cars, bay window caboose... 4' staging tracks. Any idea how long the train would be? I'm hoping 2 cars + caboose. :P

Daniel,

With a caboose your looking at about 4' - 6" max. But if you swapped out a 50ft for a 40ft,then you`d 'just about' get away with 4'.

This is assuming that your using a Southern bay window caboose,because i think there almost (if not quite) 40ft box car length.

Brian.

This running RS-3 and his train give me the idea of an ovale of track in my basement.

But I think it's a too big project for my small brain (motivation, always motivation :nono: )

I feel your pain Jack, I've still not progressed any further on getting the benchwork finished or track laid on the street running and yard areas for my HO scale layout.

That's not lack of motivation though, that's more ease of being distracted. I've never really been one to focus on a project for very - OOOOH, A BUTTERFLY!!

I'm exactly as you Daniel. I like a lot of different trains: USA, French and UK (narrow gauge and standard gauge), South American trains, Indian Trains.......

I can't always stay on the same project. I've began my US O scale project in 2014 but from time to time I work for anything else. And my son (11) needs some help with his trains, his tanks and military stuff, my second son (16) needs some help with his Lemax Christmas village.... I don't speak of the chores, my health, the work and my family...

Life is too short and projects are too big. But I stay positive :locomotive:

A solution for the track is to install Peco "RTR" (ready to run) track. I have a something like 24 x 11 room. It's a very nice space for a O scale ovale. But (there is a "but") I don't have only this train to build in this room. I still have others layouts and my son's Christmas village. The space is full! I need to adapt to make a big ovale: underneath or up some layouts. Not easy! Too many difficulties...

I think an exhibition layout will be very good for me: small but detailed. Like yours Daniel. I like to make several small layouts and not only one big. :scratchhead:

• Like 2

I have a chest of drawers full of N scale locos and stock that need decoders, weather, repainting, or all of the above.

All waiting until I have my own place and can actually make use of them. :)

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hmmmm.... managed to do a bit of railfanning yesterday (my family insist on calling it "trainspotting" - ugh!!).

Let's just say Mondays must not be the best day for it, neither is the thunderstorm season.
My first 'catch' of real US Railroading wasn't quite what I'd had in mind, either...

post-704-0-16242300-1502829977_thumb.jpg

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 2