American O Scale: "Portway Terminal Short Line, MN".

F-UnitMad

The town is a typical example of small town America and the unfortunate side affects of the downturn in their economy.

When we went last October, literally nowhere was open. I couldn't even find a shop to buy a drink.

It's a shame, as it's a lovely, lovely town.

You best head back down there again when the museum is open. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, Jordan, got any photos back from the chemists yet?

Nope. :rolleyes:

Quite apart from the Photobucket Fiasco wiping out all my Thread Pics ( I do have all the originals stored elsewhere), I mostly only took some videos on my trip anyway, as that was the 'experience' I wanted to capture; there are plenty of other, better photos out there of US Railroads.

Actually there are plenty of other, better videos, too - I only managed the one trip, & it was pretty dull weather, & rather quiet train-wise.

At Plant City I saw a grand total of... 5 trains, & that includes the Amtrak Silver Star in both directions, & the CSX MOW Hi-Rail!!! :blush: so not what one would call a roaring success.

Enjoyable, though, & what I did see helped me to appreciate what Lance Mindheim has often blogged about concerning the inadequacy of on-board DCC sound. ;)

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Testing, testing, 123....

It's taken me a while (as do most things!! :rolleyes: :blush: ) but following the Photobucket fiasco, finally getting round to trying a new - free - photo hosting website.

This one is on ImgBB....

20161223_182254.jpg

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 6

Nice photo Jordan!

The track curve seems modified. Is it real or a simple looking?

Happy to have news from your layout. ;)

About the photos, it's really easy to add them in posts without using any gallery photo supplier.

You have a button to add files in your message... very easy to use and reliable...

post-27876-0-72277400-1502781351.png

Enjoyable, though, & what I did see helped me to appreciate what Lance Mindheim has often blogged about concerning the inadequacy of on-board DCC sound. ;)

Sorry what? I went there in 2016 and I'm still deaf from a GP40-2 letting everyone know it was there.  :locomotive:  :locomotive:  :locomotive:

Testing the 'built in' photo uploader now... (I didn't know it was there because I usually use the 'quick reply' option!)

post-704-0-16272700-1502829469_thumb.jpg

I haven't done anything extra to this curve; this is the infamous one that tightens down to about 26" radius in the middle, to get it around baseboards originally built for HO scale, and narrow over the central heating boiler. Looks daft from a high angle like this, but from eye level, it's not too bad...

post-704-0-16105900-1502829752_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Uploader seems to be working, so I'm working my way back through the Thread re-posting the photos. It may take some time, though!!

Sorry to say no further progress on the layout since returning from Florida. Sort of lost my mojo somewhat, lately :( If anyone finds a modelling mojo lying around unattended on the Forum, it's probably mine :rolleyes:

I really need to get it back, as I've only the one siding to lay now, & the trackwork will all be laid (Silver Spike moment!! :dancer: )

Maybe these will help you find your mojo...

Just the inspiration needed to get the guys in the paint shop moving. An O scale GP30 (N&W ex NKP - note opening for bell in nose) and C-420 (SBD). Now I just need the traction shop to get their finger out ...... :locomotive:

post-24507-0-70494800-1502890760_thumb.jpg

post-24507-0-59760300-1502890780_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

@mikjd; I'm assuming - probably quite wrongly - that those are MTH models? Not seen an Atlas model with opening cab door before.  :scratchhead:

The Alco already has it's top coat of rust, I see  :sarcastichand:  although the Geep must still be in primer  :beee:    :jester:

My Weaver GP38-2 is in grey primer, and I have the rattle cans ready for CSX Bright Future... eventually....  :dontknow:

• Like 1

@mikjd; I'm assuming - probably quite wrongly - that those are MTH models? Not seen an Atlas model with opening cab door before.  :scratchhead:

The GP30 is a Williams shell (bought direct from Bachmann Parts with a 20% off voucher which they send every xmas - just sign up) It has the extended cab on the firemans side. It is going to be a dummy using Weaver trucks and the short Weaver GP38 fuel tank.

The C-420 is a Lionel model, it will be the first Lionel I've 2 railed.

The Alco already has it's top coat of rust, I see  :sarcastichand:  although the Geep must still be in primer  :beee:    :jester:

I must admit I do like that colour ........    unfortunately they will both end up in N&W 13-Dip satin black, with a bit of yellow trim for the Seaboard Alco.

My Weaver GP38-2 is in grey primer, and I have the rattle cans ready for CSX Bright Future... eventually....  :dontknow:

I would be interested in knowing what colours you are using for CSX.    :scratchhead:

These last posts: videos... photos of GP30 and Alco are very interesting. That gives me motivation!

I have thse same problem Jordan: I need some motivation and friends who share the same themes to continue my work.

Your curve looks very good despite it's sharp. The eye view hides well this sharp curve. I was bluffed by your first photo.

Ok it's the old HO place underneath the O scale track.

Good!

These last posts: videos... photos of GP30 and Alco are very interesting. That gives me motivation!

I have the same problem Jordan: I need some motivation and friends who share the same themes to continue my work.

Your curve looks very good despite it's sharp. The eye view hides well this sharp curve. I was bluffed by your first photo.

Ok it's the old HO place underneath the O scale track.

Good! So we have to continue to work and to post!

I post again your nice photo Jordan!

20161223_182254.jpg

• Like 2

Mikjd; I'll try and remember to look at the rattle cans for CSX YN2 the next time I'm up my shed!! :blush: They're all from Halfords, anyway!!

Jack, thanks for the further video! I can sit & watch videos easily enough - it's a kick up the backside to actually go & do modelling I need!! Although it's UK outline, I'm hoping the new Minerva 8750 Pannier Tank due soon will help me in that regard!  :locomotive:

• Like 1

Dapol are doing one as well.

Which I must admit may turn out to be better than the Minerva model, as they plan to fit working inside motion.

I ordered from Minerva based on their credibility regarding delivery times - as compared to the delays that beset the Dapol 08, & I don't think Dapol announced the inside motion until they released CAD drawings?

Still, at the prices, one of each is not out of the question. :yes: