American O Scale: "Portway Terminal Short Line, MN".

F-UnitMad

More progress on the layout. 

Through "a friend of a friend", I am getting some building carcasses laser cut. The first to arrive are two of the warehouses that make up the Food Processers. There will be 3 of these sheds all together, the right-hand one in these photos was a test 'dummy', but by the miracle of BluTack, the two proper carcasses are in place to give the idea.

Cars have to be uncoupled to be spotted at each door; I'm assuming the corn syrup cars would be unloaded by hosepipes, but it is still apparent that the last car spot will foul the switch. I always intended the building as a whole should extend this far, but the last doorway might need a re-think, or simply accept the car spot as a problem to be kept in mind during operating sessions - that car needs to be spotted last of all..!!

20200111_210540.jpg.08acdc5182ccf71fda47ce9f89f9e993.jpg

20200111_210524.jpg.0ec1c3e05f78d5e632b0a1714e80c048.jpg

20200111_210645.jpg.cc60288c06521a3cb420e73bf80b16ec.jpg

20200111_210732.jpg.d3ba44ecada501f93d8a70965d7ff053.jpg

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 10

I like the idea of the car fouling the switch. It will add to operational interest, and lets face it - it's totally what would be done in real life were the issue presented. Simplest solution is usually what a railroad would go for. :)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

If the third shed was an extra added afterwards the railroad may well have decided they could live with the awkward situation afterall it is only the local freight crew that have to live with it and it could make shunting a bit more of a puzzle.

Don

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

If the spot is occupied when you arrive, the car is moved out of the way. If it has been dealt with, it will depart anyway, and if it is only partially dealt with, the car is put back at the end of the switching session. Likewise, any new cars for this spot are left there as the final move before testing couplers and air prior to departure.

It’s not a puzzle - no real railway wants to create one of those - but it foes add something interesting to the operations.

If it is for tank car (un)loading, then the car would probably be dealt with fairly quickly.

The usual time for the spurs to be switched would be known by all involved, so the car would be in a ready-to-move condition prior to arrival.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, Donw said:

The puzzle is where to put it while moving other cars. I don't remember any handy little used spurs in the track plan.

Don

Indeed; the only space for 'off spots' is the line past that first spur, but as that's the lead for the other two end spurs, even cars left there have to be last in the sequence.

I have my doubts that a car spot would deliberately sited on a track switch on a modern US freight branch - here it's more due to lack of space - not really an issue in real life. Maybe the cars can be left at the Interchange & spotted as a seperate move, or they're going to have to be cut in next to the loco, & be spotted last of all.

I could shorten the buildings themselves, but I don't want to fall into that 'twee' trap sometimes seen where a building looks only just large enough to hold the contents of the boxcar in front of it.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

Indeed; the only space for 'off spots' is the line past that first spur, but as that's the lead for the other two end spurs, even cars left there have to be last in the sequence.

What you do is, you learn to switch each spur in turn and not the arriving train - which is what the prototype does.

Maybe this particular spot isn’t used very often: say once a month? Could be taking a chemical delivery, e.g. kaolin to provide a surface coating for carboard packaging.

We really could do with some input here from our American friends!

On 12/01/2020 at 22:13, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

That boxcar is a beaut... Atlas? 

20200111_210717.jpg.7d8baf924e5d9bd104f69841b4e48276.jpg

No, it's an MTH Premier. Weathered by someone else - I bought it at Telford Guildex a few years ago. I replaced the MTH trucks with Atlas ones with rotating bearing caps, and added hi-viz stripes.

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 30/12/2019 at 21:29, F-UnitMad said:

what has been encouraging (as it was a bit of a surprise!!) is that there isn't much rail left to spike 'cosmetically'; in fact just the curved switch and the curved main and siding tracks away from it remain to be done, about 4ft or so overall, the tracks to the right in this earlier view taken while the siding was being laid.

loft2.jpg.de294eb2c21fdd6c65b9357360d446d5.jpg

That means that the Golden Spike Day isn't too far away!! Hopefully within the next few months, at least! 

Not quite at the Golden Spike moment just yet, but it's getting closer - only this curved switch is left to spike fully, & a few more spikes on a couple of the other switches, where I have to drill holes in the pcb strips for the spikes.

I need to check if I have some gold paint for the Ceremonial Spike - or I might have an old brass one lurking around somewhere.

Ooh, the excitement!!! 🤩

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...

So near, yet so far...... was well on my way this afternoon to the Golden Spike moment 🥳

...then I ran out of spikes!! D'oh!!!! 🤦‍♂️😳

One more packet of Peco SL-14  track pins required - I bet I'll only use a couple of dozen, if that. 

So near... etc.... 🙄

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

12 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

So near, yet so far...... was well on my way this afternoon to the Golden Spike moment :yahoo: :sungum:

...then I ran out of spikes!! D'oh!!!! :blush: 

One more packet of Peco SL-14  track pins required - I bet I'll only use a couple of dozen, if that. 

So near... etc.... :rolleyes: :banghead:

Honestly, it's getting as bad as Crossrail! 

Edited by Dr Gerbil-Fritters
  • Funny 1

• 2 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, Andy Reichert said:

"OOS" works for me ;)

ydnA

When that livery was devised, someone actually suggested that the 'S' of SOO should always be at the cab end. The designer, Wallace Abbey, had to ask that - " 'OOS' ...??!!??" :scratchhead: :nono:

• Like 3

🥳🥳🥳🥳

GOLDEN SPIKE DAY!!!!

It has arrived!!! Today, finally, I put in the last spike! It was through a pcb tie on the switch for the Branch off the Main - the third switch to actually be laid, so it's been in place a while! But Golden Spike day is about finishing all the cosmetic spikes, the ones not really holding anything in place, but just to look good. 

I had to make do with a painted spike, but all the same, I feel like it's a Big Moment for the layout, and much more of a milestone than slapping down r-t-r switches & a load of flexitrack....

Going...

20200320_210803.jpg.93a3de11d4d72710c302998dd3354f04.jpg

Going....

20200320_210811.jpg.8b67f31c8938b3d6d2f1d30b7ec998da.jpg

Gone....

20200320_210833.jpg.96fbba4d83bc8687ce5caf239c1c1642.jpg

And I had a rather fitting little tipple in celebration.

Happy Bunny!! 

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Northroader said:

Couldn’t you have given it a bl—dy big clout to bring it up to your exacting track laying standards?

Has Jordan improved all of a sudden?

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 1