American O Scale: "Portway Terminal Short Line, MN".

F-UnitMad

4 hours ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

Not being funny, but how do your read the unloading instructions when the car is fully laden?  Genuine prototype question.

Interesting question, actually. I suppose there must be some element of training or verbal instruction beforehand too?, the labels on the car itself act as reminders and the Railroads 'covering their backsides' so to speak, in terms of liability for 'mishaps'.

• Thanks 1

Uh-oh... I made a start on another of my "I've started so I might finish, one day" projects today...

20211121_165137.jpg.a84da67440ad8bd10eb040da06391062.jpg

One of my Atlas/Roco Bobbers reduced to it's component parts, and the molded-on grab irons removed. Progress has suddenly stalled this evening though, as my smaller micro drill bits are all either broken, or missing, so I can't drill out holes for the brass wire replacements yet!!!

There are further plans for this model, though - I have ordered some wagon compensation etches from http://www.walsallmodelindustries.co.uk Walsall Model Industries today, because as a 4-wheeler it really does need it; close observation of it on the 'bad' track reveals some exciting times when at least one wheel is off the rails by rather more than the depth of the flange - the same as my UK outline stock, of course, but the bobbers manage not to derail - just!! - whereas the UK wagons seemed only too happy to fall off the track. As this model has British wheels, & the etch is for inside bearings, I'm hoping for a fairly easy fix. I will do the same to the second Bobber as well. 

I'm unsure yet whether or not I'll fit a flashing roof beacon, it's a possibility as I have a spare small decoder that could do it.

All this focus on this caboose is due to the idea of Heritage trains that I posted about last year in this Thread, with the Stewartstown RR as a prototype example. I wanted another 'proper' caboose to use for these trains as well as the bobbers, albeit not a wide vision type like the two I already have, and with more windows in the body for punters to see out of. This week a rare (in the UK) gem popped up on ebay - but not for long!! 

I should get it later in the week, stay tuned ...

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

I have have a red (Reading RR) bobber which arrived this  week. Also dismantled for yellow handrail paint removal & renovation.  Possible interim seasonal use as Santas Grotto.

Dava

• Like 1

I know using bobbers is highly unlikely, realistically speaking, even on a Heritage train. I believe the Strasburg has one it wheels out occasionally, but most survivors are static museum exhibits. After all, they were pretty much obsolete well over a century ago, in fact I found this info for Minnesota, where my Portway Terminal is supposedly set -

In 1911, Minnesota passed a law that all cabooses had to be 24' long, and have at least two four-wheel trucks.

But they're something a bit different, maybe closer in look and purpose to our own UK brake vans, and I'm a firm believer in the statement that "there is no such thing as too many brake vans." Or Cabooses, depending on which side of The Puddle you are modelling. ;)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Some bobbers survived in use in the East into the 1950s and lingered on beyond that. I have a couple that like yours will provide a caboose special, or one may be used as a yard office on my shortline project.

Dava, 

• Like 1

The bobber caboose is pretty and I think it can be a nice transfer caboose on a shortline. Why not? It's the "modeler licence".

As I always say: "it's your layout, you have to do what you want and what you like".

I like this one too from <<Northroader>> for a shortline, it's very good!

A1A4E076-E041-4628-B89F-D403A291CC32.jpeg.47e2ec68a179191b97be02b2a0b5698a.jpeg.04153892bd3d76a4827dd05febdddaa4.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 22/11/2021 at 06:16, JAMO said:

I like this one too from <<Northroader>> for a shortline, it's very good!

Steady on, he's a bad influence, that chap!!!!!!!

I bet he was secretly responsible for this one....

unnamed.jpg.51d225ae2e5dfee6a9bc0f009d9e0c2c.jpg

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 2
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium

Not me, honest, guv, that’s gone a bit too near the cor- blimey. No, funnily enough, I’m just wrapping up a caboose myself, just some more paint and lettering to do. I was bragging a couple of years back about picking up a caboose at a small show for £5, not something that happens every day. We worked out it was one from RMT model trains, those nice folks that brought you the Beep. Anyway, it’s just had a rebuild, the cupola has come off, because it’s low and the sides slope in, far too much of a Northeastern Road look. A new cupola from plastikard has been made up, taller and squarer, much better for a western road, and the caboose red has gone for some armour yellow. You’ll be glad to hear it’s got a 28’ length. (7” in old money)

F433EC48-EB01-4CEA-AB47-1184E55139F3.jpeg.1fd397c0f57253626b6eade0c51f4c80.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1

In the days of unbelievably discounted American (F9+3 frt cars+cabooses from Beatties - clearance(!!) offer £9.99) I started carving an Atlas/Roco box into an FEC caboose:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/rsPicture.aspx?id=536153

Next was going to be a chopped-down Atlas wide-vis caboose to look like an IHB shortie (luv'em).  Then I became an importer ... I can finish them now :training:

Keep 'em coming....

Jason

• Like 4

8 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

unnamed.jpg.50d60d7e2bfd0096542e06f8716ecc8d.jpg

8 hours ago, Northroader said:

Not me, honest, guv, that’s gone a bit too near the cor- blimey.

What I still can't decide on with that caboose - it's clearly mounted on an arch-bar truck, but is it mounted rigid, or on a pivot like a normal truck? :scratchhead:

If it was pivoted, it'd be easy to turn to face the other way at the end of the line :jester:  but would it stay in line ok through the couplers whilst in motion..??

Inquiring minds need to know!!!!   :tease:

Edited by F-UnitMad
Spelling!! why do I always proof-read [i]after[/i] pressing "Submit post"..??!!??
  • Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

You wouldn’t need to turn it if it’s got couplers both ends, but if it had the bogie mounted on just a pivot, watching it move would be like watching a rocking horse, you’d have to steady it with some more blocks fore and aft. No, eh?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Northroader said:

You wouldn’t need to turn it if it’s got couplers both ends,

I was thinking of turning it so the offset cupola would be at the right end. ;)  and did include a :jester: at the end of my suggestion, since the length of the vehicle does make such a consideration rather a moot point. :mosking:

Otherwise I think you're right, the body has to be fixed rigidly to the truck. I found the pic in a quick google search for images of bobber cabooses, I should find out more about it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

What I still can't decide on with that caboose - it's clearly mounted on an arch-bar truck, but is it mounted rigid, or on a pivot like a normal truck? :scratchhead:

If it was pivoted, it'd be easy to turn to face the other way at the end of the line :jester:  but would it stay in line ok through the couplers whilst in motion..??

Inquiring minds need to know!!!!   :tease:

C021EAF6-F601-49D8-AD92-26999CB6BEA3.jpeg.451d38204569f3f1b9e7f171daabb95d.jpeg

The large gear was connected to a vertical shaft and the body wound round by hand. It also had the advantage of turning the balcony for optimum sun on long layovers . . . .

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5

On 21/11/2021 at 17:22, F-UnitMad said:

I wanted another 'proper' caboose to use for these trains as well as the bobbers, albeit not a wide vision type like the two I already have, and with more windows in the body for punters to see out of. This week a rare (in the UK) gem popped up on ebay - but not for long!! :spiteful:

I should get it later in the week :D   stay tuned   :good:

And here it is....

20211123_130522.jpg.756dd1d860e533bc6c61fc5dc61a3efb.jpg

A brand-spanking new Weaver caboose. It was still shrink wrapped to the carrier card, with detail bits & couplers still bagged. For a few pennies under £25 buy-it-now I consider that a Bargain these days!! 

20211123_130605.jpg.edfe6f79e0a6f14ea2b0701fadb5a7ac.jpg

I'm not bothered about the NE style cupola, in fact it's difference to a WV type was one of this model's attractions. If I was being ultra-fussy I would really have liked an offset cupola type, but only MTH seem to do that style - other than Lionel toys, and are only available 3-rail (pauses to wash mouth out).

So the plan is to detail & re-letter this one to go with the Bobber, for a neat little Heritage service to trundle along the line at weekends. 

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 9
  • Round of applause 1

There was a 2-parter(?) in RMC many years ago about NE cabooses - great choice by Weaver.  Their D&H version should've had the staircase-type steps instead of those shown, but we're a forgiving people, so it's patiently waiting for a nothing-on-the-tele night :read:  

Jason

• Like 1

The Walsall compensation units arrived today, so I've had a play. After soldering up the frame & pivot unit, it looked like it would fit flush to the underside of the Bobber's frame, so the brake gear was removed (it's a plug-in plastic molding) and I went to work with my mini drill & grinding tools.

20211123_213334.jpg.d6ec400225aad5ebdc54799743d74e4d.jpg

The unit was marked for a couple of securing screws, and has a dollop of UHU as well to hold it to the frame. The 'no going back' moment was grinding the outer bits (there must be a technical name!!??) off the axle before fitting!!

20211123_214452.jpg.31da1453baa20f91776049e81c064c19.jpg

It works a treat, with one "but" - the other axle is a bit slack in the plastic holes in the frame, so the caboose sits slightly uneven. I have some smaller brass bearings which I will have to fit to correct the ride height.

For now, paired up with the second Bobber, my new NE caboose gives an idea of the Portway's Heritage train. First job on that caboose has been to replace the plastic Weaver wheels with nice new metal Intermountains.

20211123_220731.jpg.86bb8b435a49e32e72ffa88c55510831.jpg

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, JAMO said:

I like a more hot climate so: ATSF way cars :) 

Ah, but Jordan models a subsidiary of CP, so may call them vans…?

11 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

According to Wikipedia (so it MUST be true!!! :jester: ) the plural of Caboose is Cabooses. :scratchhead:

"Cabeese" is something of a made-up word, apparently. But not a reason for debate or falling out on this Thread. :no:  :friends:  :drinks:

No, but it does happen on a lot of other boards…

• Agree 2