American O Scale: "Portway Terminal Short Line, MN".

F-UnitMad

You wouldn’t need to turn it if it’s got couplers both ends, but if it had the bogie mounted on just a pivot, watching it move would be like watching a rocking horse, you’d have to steady it with some more blocks fore and aft. No, eh?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Northroader said:

You wouldn’t need to turn it if it’s got couplers both ends,

I was thinking of turning it so the offset cupola would be at the right end. ;)  and did include a :jester: at the end of my suggestion, since the length of the vehicle does make such a consideration rather a moot point. :mosking:

Otherwise I think you're right, the body has to be fixed rigidly to the truck. I found the pic in a quick google search for images of bobber cabooses, I should find out more about it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

What I still can't decide on with that caboose - it's clearly mounted on an arch-bar truck, but is it mounted rigid, or on a pivot like a normal truck? :scratchhead:

If it was pivoted, it'd be easy to turn to face the other way at the end of the line :jester:  but would it stay in line ok through the couplers whilst in motion..??

Inquiring minds need to know!!!!   :tease:

C021EAF6-F601-49D8-AD92-26999CB6BEA3.jpeg.451d38204569f3f1b9e7f171daabb95d.jpeg

The large gear was connected to a vertical shaft and the body wound round by hand. It also had the advantage of turning the balcony for optimum sun on long layovers . . . .

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5

On 21/11/2021 at 17:22, F-UnitMad said:

I wanted another 'proper' caboose to use for these trains as well as the bobbers, albeit not a wide vision type like the two I already have, and with more windows in the body for punters to see out of. This week a rare (in the UK) gem popped up on ebay - but not for long!! :spiteful:

I should get it later in the week :D   stay tuned   :good:

And here it is....

20211123_130605.jpg.7da0818154ff6fc3c668f37fb35cfbd3.jpg

A brand-spanking new Weaver caboose. It was still shrink wrapped to the carrier card, with detail bits & couplers still bagged. For a few pennies under £25 buy-it-now I consider that a Bargain these days!! 

20211123_130522.jpg.23c9ed75f27007b166e7033191c2cb9a.jpg

I'm not bothered about the NE style cupola, in fact it's difference to a WV type was one of this model's attractions. If I was being ultra-fussy I would really have liked an offset cupola type, but only MTH seem to do that style - other than Lionel toys, and are only available 3-rail (pauses to wash mouth out).

So the plan is to detail & re-letter this one to go with the Bobber, for a neat little Heritage service to trundle along the line at weekends. :yes: :good:

• Like 9
  • Round of applause 1

There was a 2-parter(?) in RMC many years ago about NE cabooses - great choice by Weaver.  Their D&H version should've had the staircase-type steps instead of those shown, but we're a forgiving people, so it's patiently waiting for a nothing-on-the-tele night :read:  

Jason

• Like 1

The Walsall compensation units arrived today, so I've had a play. After soldering up the frame & pivot unit, it looked like it would fit flush to the underside of the Bobber's frame, so the brake gear was removed (it's a plug-in plastic molding) and I went to work with my mini drill & grinding tools.

20211123_213334.jpg.a7db628fc921ec0e0353f699a0055162.jpg

The unit was marked for a couple of securing screws, and has a dollop of UHU as well to hold it to the frame. The 'no going back' moment was grinding the outer bits (there must be a technical name!!??) off the axle before fitting!!

20211123_214452.jpg.56d19130b289be9ef3be691523d80da3.jpg

It works a treat, with one "but" - the other axle is a bit slack in the plastic holes in the frame, so the caboose sits slightly uneven. I have some smaller brass bearings which I will have to fit to correct the ride height.

For now, paired up with the second Bobber, my new NE caboose gives an idea of the Portway's Heritage train. First job on that caboose has been to replace the plastic Weaver wheels with nice new metal Intermountains ;)

20211123_220731.jpg.969eb327c94e45e6e3aa7ad4cd052361.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, JAMO said:

I like a more hot climate so: ATSF way cars :) 

Ah, but Jordan models a subsidiary of CP, so may call them vans…?

11 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

According to Wikipedia (so it MUST be true!!! :jester: ) the plural of Caboose is Cabooses. :scratchhead:

"Cabeese" is something of a made-up word, apparently. But not a reason for debate or falling out on this Thread. :no:  :friends:  :drinks:

No, but it does happen on a lot of other boards…

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I suggest this may be amusing  https://www.ling.upenn.edu/~beatrice/humor/english-lesson.html

However in a US based thread this may be an absolute load of bunkum

Personally  I would follow Moose the pural is Moose because that was the indian for more than one from which the name is derived so we could just use Caboose to cover however many you have. Although in truth I suspect the workers used cabooses.

Don 

Edited by Donw
s missing from is, bad fingers again
  • Like 1

Just to illustrate what happens with rigid-chassis 4-wheel stock on my rough siding - first photo shows the unmodified Bobber with one wheel on the high spot of the rail; the other wheel is clearly off the rail by some margin. Both wheels on the other side are on the rail at this point.

20211125_182017.jpg.b9037e618c075e27ce891fa9c9886c25.jpg

Second photo shows the modified Bobber with the compensation unit fitted. At the same place on the track, all 4 wheels are in contact with the rails in the required fashion. :good:

20211125_182128.jpg.46f1149f25ef7d4b0d616c427271761d.jpg

I have now modified both Bobbers so they both have compensated chassis, although I'm minded to leave the one in otherwise original condition, as a bit of a nostalgia piece and a reminder that one of them was my first American O Scale model.

I solved the uneven ride height by removing the bearings from the compensation unit, and opening out the holes for them by a millimetre closer to the mounting plate - making the holes oval, in essence - and resoldering the bearings so the axle is now 1mm closer to the underside of the chassis, and the whole thing sits level. Apologies to the etch brass Purists, though I doubt any read this Thread. ;)

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 1

VANDALS AT PORTWAY CENTER!!

Shock news just in - we are sorry to have to announce that there has been a case of vandalism at the Portway Center railroad yard in downtown Portway, MN.

The railroad's ex-Soo Line caboose, which is used on trains being propelled to the Shortside Industrial complex, was subjected to the unwanted attention of a graffiti "artist" overnight.

Early this morning Police were called to the scene of the crime. Sheriff Lou Scannon said "Despite extensive investigations, we still have no idea who did this. We are appealling to anyone with potential information to contact us."

20211126_204651.jpg.effe136503813a967c7d2a98bbb1ce47.jpg

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 10

I don't really like graffiti - I'm not sure any of us do as railfans - but it is part of the modern rail scene, so I thought about including some on some of my stock.

'JAMO' was nice & short to have a practice with, and even sounds a bit like a 'tag' sort of name. I guessed no one would be offended. The regulars on this Thread and the US Section are an inspirational sorce of names, so you have all been warned!! :jester:

The real trick will be in making them almost, but not quite, totally illegible, like real graffiti!! :mail:

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

This evening's bit of modelling has seen a bit more work on the 'Detailed' Bobber caboose. I've been fitting seperate wire grab irons from brass wire, which has sometimes been a frustrating experience, getting all the bends right, and dealing with the inherent springiness of brass wire, especially it's incredible properties of travelling amazing distances when dropped on the floor, and despite being shiny in normal circumstances, becoming almost invisible on said floor, which is only wood-effect lino!!

I have now remembered why, back in the 1980s, I used to use the soft steel wire from inside those paper twist ties that used to be on bread wrappers and the like, when detailing my 4mm diesels. It was much easier to deal with than brass!!!

20211204_220824.jpg.10203dc78f09d0fd7031b04755343e0d.jpg

20211204_220854.jpg.bf21358aeae6f396912b34a84d215025.jpg

I've also run out of the Tamiya paint I used for Plymouth #30 (a.k.a. Shortliner Jack) and the only other green I had is much darker. Today I have ordered a Vallejo acrylic green which I'm hoping will be closer to the original green of these bobbers, not too bright, but a bit more welcoming than this sombre shade!!

Edited by F-UnitMad
spelling!!
  • Like 9