NCE Powercab - Changing 'Latching' keys

Hi - Seasons greetings to one and all

I have a question regarding the NCE Powercab - I've searched the manual and web but to no avail.

Does anyone know if it is possible to change the 'BELL' key to be momentary acting rather than latching. i.e. the same as the 'HORN' key. Having assigned F2 and F3 - High and Low horns on Biff's sounds, I would like both to be momentary using these dedicated keys

Regards

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Andy

I hate to jump on the band wagon within minutes of your post but I'm possibly interested in the answer you get as well.

A colleague has some sound (steam outline) locos with Howes supplied decoders and try as he may he cannot find out how to get a single "pip" and two pips in quick succession. Is this the same thing as you're seeking the solution to?

With apologies for raiding your thread.

To the best of my knowledge, you cannot change the keys in that way with any NCE cabs. The 'horn' key remains the only one that is momentary. Even the F2 key which operates the same function is latching, which suggests that it is hard-wired into the keys themselves.

Yes, SRman's correct. In common with most US designs, F keys are latching and impossible to change.

European designs, in the main, have the ability to be assigned either function, and some hve a third option 'timed'.

Perhaps in American cars, one has to press the horn button once to sound the horn, then press it again to switch it off? Ha ha.

Paul

Edited by pauliebanger

• RMweb Premium

To the best of my knowledge, you cannot change the keys in that way with any NCE cabs. The 'horn' key remains the only one that is momentary. Even the F2 key which operates the same function is latching, which suggests that it is hard-wired into the keys themselves.

Excuse my ignorance as someone as yet unfamiliar with DCC Sound - that should change tomorrow, are sound chips already set up so that the momentary use of the Whistle/Horn key will pop the whistle or is it something that has to be programmed either at source or by the user? I'm sure that we've tried the whistle key on a PowerCab and it either did nothing or didn't appear to do anything different to function 2 i.e. two fairly rapid presses only generated one sound.

Excuse my ignorance as someone as yet unfamiliar with DCC Sound - that should change tomorrow, are sound chips already set up so that the momentary use of the Whistle/Horn key will pop the whistle or is it something that has to be programmed either at source or by the user? I'm sure that we've tried the whistle key on a PowerCab and it either did nothing or didn't appear to do anything different to function 2 i.e. two fairly rapid presses only generated one sound.

How the horns/whistles work is down to the sound programming and the features of your controller.

The Horn/Whistle key on the PowerCab is the only momentary button available. It does 'play' the sound which is assigned to F2, but if you use the actual F2 key, the sound will 'latch', and will need to be pressed again to 'unlatch' it.

Of course, if the sound is of a fixed length, there will be no apparent difference between the two buttons, in each case the sound will start with the initial press and play out to it's end.

However, if the sound project contains a playable length sound, ie there is a sound loop in the middle which will continue looping until switched off, then pressing the Horn/Whistle button briefly will give a short (er) blast than if you press and hold it down. A longer blast will now be heard. Pressing F2 will initiate the sound which will continue until you turn it off with another press of F2. (or any other key with a playable sound, for that matter).

Having 'momentary' buttons on your controller which you can hold down will NOT extend the playing of a normal fixed length sound.

Diesel horns are generally pretty easy to obtain a good loop without too much 'tell' that a loop is playing. Steam whistles, especially but not exclusively chime whistles, range from difficult to impossible to loop satisfactorily.

Kind regards,

Paul

Many thanks for the feedback - I did get to the point of thinking its not possible having trawled the web.

Would be a nice feature when NCE do a further update to the software.

Cheers

Andy

It would, Andy, I agree. But don't hold your breath. Ha ha

The problem for the controller with this flexibility is that it would then have to remember for each loco/decoder in use (or in your entire stable would be more useful) which F keys are required to be 'momentary' and which are to be 'latched'. Obviosly this requires a more sophisicated approach to the controller's software than the manufacturer feels is necessary, or can be ar*ed to do anything about.

You have to remember that these systems work fine for non-sound users, as they never experience these frustrations. So, the manufacturers don't see it as enough of a problem to solve. And then we all take what we are given without complaint, so it's unlikely the status quo will change.

Also bear in mind that this added sophistication would come with financial implications.

Kind regards,

Paul

• 5 years later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 29/12/2013 at 14:07, pauliebanger said:

It would, Andy, I agree. But don't hold your breath. Ha ha

The problem for the controller with this flexibility is that it would then have to remember for each loco/decoder in use (or in your entire stable would be more useful) which F keys are required to be 'momentary' and which are to be 'latched'. Obviosly this requires a more sophisicated approach to the controller's software than the manufacturer feels is necessary, or can be ar*ed to do anything about.

You have to remember that these systems work fine for non-sound users, as they never experience these frustrations. So, the manufacturers don't see it as enough of a problem to solve. And then we all take what we are given without complaint, so it's unlikely the status quo will change.

Also bear in mind that this added sophistication would come with financial implications.

Kind regards,

Paul

Is this still the case with the current NCE Power cab

Eltel